• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"You have entered an invalid birthday."

beer good

I didn't enter a birthday. I just wanted to update my "currently reading", and instead I got the error message in the header line. Bug? New "feature"?

Someone's obviously turned on the COPPA System to prevent under thirteens from joining the forum.

Not by me. Probably best to use the Contact Us form to request it as the regular admin/mods don't have access the real cogs behind the forum.

BG-wouldn't it be simpler to just stop trying to lie about your age? ;)

If the age limit is 13, I'd get kicked out if I stopped lying about it. :p

ai22.photobucket.com_albums_b339_beergood_ch901020.gif

Incidentally, entering a birth date of 1 January 1900 is also considered invalid. Isn't this pretty ageist?

I enabled the COPPA registration. There is a law about protecting under 13 users and it requires verified parental consent to participate online.

So... what this really means is that if you never entered a birthdate in your profile when you registered and you update your profile info, you will need to enter a believable birthdate.

I understand that it's an inconvenience, but you will only have to do it once.

That's cool, I was just surprised that a change like that would be implemented without telling anyone. But no problem; I never state my real birth date or full name in public forums for personal reasons, but I've got a vivid imagination when it comes to numbers. ;)

EDIT: Just out of curiosity - what's the oldest birth date that's considered believable? My grandfather was online until he was 88...

What if you said that you were born on December 30, 1899? Would you question the person - or would you just let it slide. Cause i highly doubt that someone who 108 would be on a book forum.

Back