• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You know your in the 21st century when..

Sitaram

kickbox
(just passing this along for your amusement)

You know you live in the 21st century when...

1. You go to a party, sit down and take MySpace pics.

2. You havent played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. The reason for not staying in touch with your friends is that they don't have AIM/LiveJournal/MySpace.

4. You'd rather look all over the house for the remote instead of just pushing the button on the TV.

5. Your evening activity is sitting at the computer.

Stewart said:
You know you're in the 21st Century when people use your instead of you're.

This is one reason I hate chatrooms! I can't type that wonderfully anyway, but I'm constantly trying to correct myself when I make mistakes like this.

Here is a synopsis of what I posted yesterday in the Yahoo chat room for books and literature, regarding the superiority of message boards and blogs over live chat:

You are in "Books and Literature:1" ( talk about your favorite books and authors.

Sitaram posted:

No one seems to ever discuss literature in this chat room. Mostly, one sees dirty jokes, bathroom talk and that sort of thing.

Once or twice a month, I see someone here in Yahoo Book/Literature Chat who is not a toilet mouth, and I try to rescue them from this cesspool.

How much literature have you seen discussed in here, honestly?

Hang around for a few years, like I have, and you will see a lot more of the same nonsense, hour after hour, day after day, week after week.

Think about this. Suppose we discuss, say Ayn Rand for two hours here, typing like mad, and say three people pay attention, which would be rare in Yahoo. Well, after that two hours, what would we have for all our work?

Everything we typed would have scrolled off the screen.
Three people would be more enlightened, PERHAPS, or perhaps not.

So, we would have wasted our time.

BUT, if we had our discussion on a message board, or blogging, as a thread of posts, why then hundreds or thousands would read it, and it would hang around on the net for months or years, and get into the search engines, where others could find it.

Once or twice a month, I meet someone in here who is worthwhile, but obviously, this is not my week.

I will sit back and watch you to have a really impressive discussion, and I will take notes, but, I wont hold my breath.

On the other hand, I have met a few people in chat of the caliber of SFG75, whom I would not have met had I not been in a chat room. I add them to my buddy list, and we continue meaningful discourse in private PM or in blogs or at message boards.

One other advantage to a live chat is that, once in a while, someone asks a question or says something that makes you think, and inspires you to look something up and write a post.

In live chat, you are connected to many minds, constantly active with the shimmering wonder of human speech, which is wondrous even from the mouths of fools and babes.

And it's only going to get worse.

Click here and then click on "A Flat World Look at Education-Developing a Global Mindset." Talk about changes.:eek:

Sitaram said:
Sorry about that. I just cut and pasted, but did not scrutinize. Good point.

Don't give it another thought. Everybody else here will diligently scrutinize your posts for misteaks and comment upon them. :D

StillILearn said:
Don't give it another thought. Everybody else here will diligently scrutinize your posts for misteaks and comment upon them. :D

Yeah, I know.;)

It's a shame the edit button is gone after ten minutes. Oh the written wrecks I've left behind!.

There are vegetarians, and then there are those who dine upon vegetarians, but all have some connection with vegetarianism.

StillILearn said:
You bit.

Hope you're not a vegetarian, SFG. :D

I was hoping that somebody would see the invisible ink. Otherwise the joke's just not that funny. :rolleyes: Never mind. It is more often than I care to admit that my of humor only amuses me.

StillILearn said:
I was hoping that somebody would see the invisible ink. Otherwise the joke's just not that funny. :rolleyes: Never mind. It is more often than I care to admit that my of humor only amuses me.

But Still, if you're happy, we're happy;)

Hmm, this could be interesting. I'll try adding a few!

... the only pictures that you get from friends and family is sent to your cellphone.

... your reading intake of books and other sources are what you have read on your computer.

... you have a vague recollection of cassette tapes and records, but you remember that they had something to do with the music you now have on mp3s.

Back