• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You now feel really old

Then again I see customers at work who refuse to age gracefully. I don't mean that at 50 BOOM you switch out your wardrobe to dockers and socks with sandals. But if you rocked it in "72" and you are 72 then the ponytail and tie dye might not be so attractive anymore. Some of the women aren't much better...bleach blonde mullets, tank tops and skinny jeans and wrinkled arms and chests...gah

Um I think my comment must taken entirely in context of the wisdom of getting branded. As one gets older one realises that stuff HURTS and ouch is bad so don't do it.
Okay. I do/did find it an interesting question though.

I think that you can also ask - do you have 25 years experience or 1 years experience 25 times?
Not sure I understand the difference. I might say you have both.

Okay. I do/did find it an interesting question though.

Not sure I understand the difference. I might say you have both.

It was an answer to your original question about wisdom automatically coming with age. If one assumes, as I said, that with age comes experience and with experience wisdom, but one can't assume that age automatically brings real wisdom then it becomes a question of what did your experience consist of?

Have you had a lifetime of new experiences building true wisdom or have you only a limited amount of experience which you repeated over and over again, net result being that you didn't learn very much.

25 yrs of different experiences = 25

but 1 year of experience 25 times is still just = 1

Old is when performers of your youth pass from old age and related complications...Lou Reed died today and it made me sad. For those of you youngsters...look up "Perfect Day"

Old is when performers of your youth pass from old age and related complications...Lou Reed died today and it made me sad. For those of you youngsters...look up "Perfect Day"

I saw that, but I have to confess I'm either not musical enough, or old enough to know who he is. Probably not musical enough.

Ain't it the truth, things do tend to be amusing, it takes quite a bit to shock me anymore...so you might as well laugh.

Laughter is supposed to be quite the panacea so it makes good sense (as we age )to find humor, and cut down on those inevitable medical bills!

More evidence of pending mortality...........

......when your new employee's significant other was a former student of yours.

That is feeling old.......

I don't think what I said has to be taken in that sense.

P.S. Added edit: I think a Bob Dylan song might help:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bobdylan/foreveryoung.html

I've always liked Joan Baez' rendition of it. :)

Counting one's blessings each day isn't a bad idea either.

I knew what you meant :) even without the song reference.

My statement And so by corollary to Browning's observation, one doesn't fully develop a sense of humor! Stiff price.
was made by linking together earlier posts.

I will give you my reasoning. It is for you to judge whether it is flawed.

My first post: Quote attributed to Aristotle which shows the older people get, the more youth shocks them.
Your Reply:' I don't feel a bit old, despite all the differences.
And guess whose opinion I respect more -- mine or theirs'
I interpreted as instead of feeling shocked, you find youth amusing.

That according to Browning, is a skill one may acquire only when one is very old.
"Perhaps one has to be very old before one learns to be amused rather than shocked," Robert Browning.

Your rejoinder It might just be one never gets old prompted me to link it to Browning's quote because you had made it in reply to the quote. If yours was a stand alone statement and not a reply, I would have left it er...standing alone. ;)

( Pst! There is a flaw in the reasoning. I'll be happy if someone points it out.)

Last edited:
Your rejoinder It might just be one never gets old prompted me to link it to Browning's quote because you had made it in reply to the quote. If yours was a stand alone statement and not a reply, I would have left it er...standing alone. ;)

( Pst! There is a flaw in the reasoning. I'll be happy if someone points it out.)

Ah, the confusions of bull board posting in linear format.

My remark was more in general response to the Title assertion of the thread and in reaction to the general eagerness in all preceding posts to accept the premise unquestioningly. But flaw or not in reasoning, I don't see the virtue of branding ourselves as old because of shortcomings we can identify within our selves or our bodies, instead of considering how young we are when considering the brighter aspects of our lives. I am a long-time optimist, and negative thinking just drives me up the wall.

If one wonders where the logic is in that, I can only say that my entire life changed for the better when I shifted from worrying/pessimism to a positive, forward-looking approach to life. (And, free plug: credit Dale Carnegie for that.)

So, Gita, no personal argument with anyone especially. Just a statement of my own outlook.

And have a happy, positive day :) :)
Peder

My thoughts about aging:

There is nothing negative about aging. Negativity comes when you limit your vision because of your age. I embarked on a new career at the half century mark.

I agree that age is a number but I believe in accepting that number. If I equate fifty to twenty five and try to live that way, I fear I will lose out on whatever life has to offer at fifty.

Childhood, youth, middle age and old age are stages of our life cycle ( cycle because like the bard says, we are likely to touch childhood in our old age.) I would not like to cling on to any stage and yes, when a stage is passed and we persist in living it, we are clinging on.

Finally, my child is a grown man. What does that make me? Old. And what is wrong with that?

What I have noticed about 'aging' although I use that term loosely is that the body changes, but the inner self is still just me, a little more experienced, and hopefully wiser me, but still me, but the more years that go by the greater the difference between me and what the outside cover says about me.

Back