• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

your country or the rest of the world

honeydevil

do you have more interest in other parts of the world or in your own country? would you like to live at other places or do you love your country? ...

I absolutely love my country, and even my state! It's funny how some people look down on Kansas, but it's a pretty nice place to live for the most part. That said, I'd love to visit other places too. I don't know that I'd want to permantly live somewhere else, but if we had to move for hubby's work, I'm sure I'd make the needed adjustments. I think I could be happy anywhere, but I'd sure miss the "playful prairie breezes."

I have a great deal of wanderlust in me! I've lived in about 8 states in the US (seen many more), lived in Tasmania but have travelled the mainland. I am going to move to the mainland next year and probably live in Brisbane.

I love the US and Australia for different reasons.

In my opinion, it doesnt matter where you live as to whether or not you love it, it matters whether or not you love yourself.

I like where I live but have a great interest in other places; I also have friends in different counties, Ukraine, America, India etc. I'm not sure being overly inward looking is a good thing, it's best to find a balance.
My reading taste probably reflects that, with about a quarter of my books by British authors, a quarter by other English speakers and half from a variety of other countries.

I love my country and will I will always live here. I have sailed to different countries around the world and I plan to see more of my country and the world. A motorcycle tour of Europe sounds like a lot of fun.

I find that there are good and bad sides to every country including my own. I lived a couple of years abroad when i was a student, and liked it a lot, but in the end i went back home because most of my friends still live here. I'm more attached to people than places.

I love my country, but I hope to have my own used bookstore/coffeehouse in Ireland or Mexico by the time I'm 45. When I retire at 65, I will reside in Havana, where I will pass my time on the sandy beaches and reading.
Cuban.bmp
That is of course.....if a certain dictator...........he can't live to be 140 can he?:eek: :(

SFG75 said:
I love my country, but I hope to have my own used bookstore/coffeehouse in Ireland or Mexico by the time I'm 45. When I retire at 65, I will reside in Havana, where I will pass my time on the sandy beaches and reading.
Cuban.bmp
That is of course.....if a certain dictator...........he can't live to be 140 can he?:eek: :(

Having recently read a Cuban cookbook, I think you'd eat well in Cuba ;)

Since we started the process of adopting a daughter from China 18 months ago, my heart has been torn between two countries. Now that we have been there and back, it is even more so. When our kids are older, I would love to spend an extended amount of time over there. For now I have to settle for learning the language and reading the online newspapers every day.
Zai jian

curiouswonder said:
Since we started the process of adopting a daughter from China 18 months ago, my heart has been torn between two countries. Now that we have been there and back, it is even more so. When our kids are older, I would love to spend an extended amount of time over there. For now I have to settle for learning the language and reading the online newspapers every day.
Zai jian

I know a couple who are working in China. I'll have to check which region. Seems like he's teaching English and she's working as a nurse. They and their children love it there. Years ago, at our previous church we supported a medical missionary to Mongolia. She was a nurse/midwife, and had some interesting stories to share.

Here comes the unpatriotic bad guy.....

I would move to Canada, the UK and a few other places in a second if Tom would go with me. I don't care all that much for this country and I'm thankful that I live in the area I do. I don't think I could survive in a midwestern social climate (sorry guys). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this country is the worst place in the world I could live. It isn't, and I'm glad I have the oportunities that I do. I just think that other western countries have more to offer me.

I love the U.S. and Chicago...I think I will live in the Windy City all my life, but will travel as often as I can. I have already been to Europe twice and plan to take my kids there in a few years. I spent 2 weeks in Rome in '89 and if I was told that the U.S. is going to implode, I would without a doubt, pack my bags and move to Rome.

My next big trip I'm planning is to Australia. I have a friend there that waiting for me, and her mother has expressed interest in all of us visiting. She's been begging us to come down there for the last 5 years. I told her that I wanted to wait for the kids to get a little bit older. It's such a long time to travel, I'm afraid they might not make it.

I'm dying to get down there.

Isabell said:
I told her that I wanted to wait for the kids to get a little bit older. It's such a long time to travel, I'm afraid they might not make it.
Stay overnight in LA and it'll make the trip a lot easier on you! Most flights leave around 10 or 11pm, so it's at the kids natural bed time. Wear them out during the day and then dress them in their pajamas for the flight and treat it like normal sleep time. If you fly Qantas they'll be entertained by their own individual television sets in the seat backs. The trip back usually leaves in the morning, which isn't so good for the sleeping plan, but means the kids can stay awake and watch movies on the way back.

I've also travelled via Honolulu from Vancouver, and that sucks balls (excuse my language, but I have to hammer the point home) particularly flying from Sydney. You have to get off about 9 hours into the flight, right when you just want to sleep, go through US customs in a very short space of time with people telling you to hurry up and rude airport security people with scary guns glaring at you, and then you get back on the same damn plane. It's madness.

But I agree that very young kids don't get a lot out of travelling, with the exception of tiring their parents out!

As for me, my home is Australia and always will be. I'm going home in less than 2 months and I can barey contain my excitement. I've lived in Canada for 3.5 of the last 4.5 years, and I'm ready to settle down and plant some roots in my home country. I won't be living in the state I love, but I've got to give the career a head start. At least I'll be no more than an hour's flight from my family and closest friends, though.

I have ambitions to do some more travel in Australia. I really want to see Tasmania, as I think it's similar enough to Victoria, but with a more relaxed pace. I feel like it's a place I could live. It would also suit my career path. I also really want to travel to some of the fascinating geological sites in Central Australia and northern WA, see the Great Barrier Reef, cross the Nullabor by train to WA and go back to Kakadu.

World-wide, I still have many places I want to visit. I've only seen the smallest amount of France, and I really want to get back and take in more of Europe as a complete tourist. The same with the UK, although I've worked there I never really was a tourist. Japan is also high on my list of places to visit. As far as South America goes, it makes me nervous because of the many stories I have heard, although it is a fascinating place in terms of history. I guess that's on my 'we'll see' list. I also want to do a cross-Canada trip by rail. I just adore trains, and the railway history of this country seems so romantic to me.

I would also like to live abroad for a year after I have a family - possibly in Italy or France. I think it'd be a great experience for children. But ultimately I can't imagine living anywhere other than Australia.

Although I really want to travel around the world and experience different cultures, I know that I will only be truly happy living in New Zealand. I think that it would be too much of a change living elsewhere - NZ is so safe and relaxed, I don't have to worry about terrorists and the temperature is just right :). I really want to do a big OE, though, and my top destination spots are Greece, Italy (probably just Rome), Egypt, Poland, Czech Republic and America.

Well, I love my country, but I don't mind moving to another place either. I don't get to travel as much as I would like, but I have been to quite a few places, and there's nothing like the food here - if I'm feeling local, wonderful. If I want something western, it's there. And local fare is to varied I don't have to worry about feeding myself on only one type of food! :)

But Malaysia is in transition - it's my opinion that while a lot of the commercial sector and facilities (highways, telco, high tech) are first world, a lot of work need to be done on other areas - education, public service (although this is getting to be much much better), social services, law enforcement, graft-fighting efforts, etc.

In my line of work, the best place to be is really in US. I've always harboured a secret desire to move to US one day. But US is very conservative with IT now, what with the work outsourcing that's causing such a storm at present.

So in the meantime, I wanna hit the lottery and spend a couple of months to travel the roads in US. :D

ds

Kookamoor said:
As for me, my home is Australia and always will be. I'm going home in less than 2 months and I can barey contain my excitement. I've lived in Canada for 3.5 of the last 4.5 years, and I'm ready to settle down and plant some roots in my home country. I won't be living in the state I love, but I've got to give the career a head start. At least I'll be no more than an hour's flight from my family and closest friends, though.

I have ambitions to do some more travel in Australia. I really want to see Tasmania, as I think it's similar enough to Victoria, but with a more relaxed pace. I feel like it's a place I could live. It would also suit my career path. I also really want to travel to some of the fascinating geological sites in Central Australia and northern WA, see the Great Barrier Reef, cross the Nullabor by train to WA and go back to Kakadu.

World-wide, I still have many places I want to visit. I've only seen the smallest amount of France, and I really want to get back and take in more of Europe as a complete tourist. The same with the UK, although I've worked there I never really was a tourist. Japan is also high on my list of places to visit. As far as South America goes, it makes me nervous because of the many stories I have heard, although it is a fascinating place in terms of history. I guess that's on my 'we'll see' list. I also want to do a cross-Canada trip by rail. I just adore trains, and the railway history of this country seems so romantic to me.

I would also like to live abroad for a year after I have a family - possibly in Italy or France. I think it'd be a great experience for children. But ultimately I can't imagine living anywhere other than Australia.
Wow, 2 months will be here before you can say "jack rabbit". I hope we continue to hear from you after you get back home. I wish you success with your career and travels.

I honestly don't know. I'm used to think I was a Belgian at heart (or at least a Flandrien), but after living abroad for a couple of months and not missing my country much/at all (as a home), I don't know any more. I do miss my friends and family though, and that might be a big problem for me further down the road.

muggle said:
Wow, 2 months will be here before you can say "jack rabbit". I hope we continue to hear from you after you get back home. I wish you success with your career and travels.
Hell yeah! That's when I'll actually be able to get some reading done and post something book-related. At the moment TBF is more my relaxation when I take a research break.

Back