• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your January 2010 Book(s)?

-Carlos-

You will start the new year 2010 reading what book(s) - month of January 2010?

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

Posession by A. S. Byatt
Your Face Tomorrow (3 vols) by Javier Marias
The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa
The Original of Laura by Vladimir Nabokov
Verdun by Jules Romains
Go Down, Moses by James Faulkner

They won't all get finished in January, but they will all get started -- two are already. :)

2666 by Roberto Bolano
How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed by Slavenka Drakulic
maybe...
Old Filth by Jane Gardam

I do plan to read the Tripods series by John Christopher this month. Beyond those books, we shall see what I feel in the mood like reading.

Hiya Pont and Peder! It's been a long time, and I've missed you both. :)

Oooh, I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on this one when you've finished. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about it, but the TBR is long enough that I can afford to wait! :lol:
How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed by Slavenka Drakulic
What is this one about? Is it non-fiction?

House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski
The Door to December by Dean Koontz
Someplace to be Flying by Charles De Lint
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick

What is this one about? Is it non-fiction?

It's a series of 19 essays by "Slavenka Drakulic, a leading Yugoslavian writer from Croatia, proves in this brilliant work of reportage filtered through personal experience." [from inner flap of dust jacket].

So, non-fiction, personalized I'd say. I haven't really gotten to read but a few pages of it so far, but her reporters background comes through, she is concise and to the point.
You know in a way, the "style" reminds me, in a sense, of A Woman in Berlin by Anonymous. Although I believe this one may be a little, um, lets say a little less tortured. Not sure yet.

Good to see you to Jez! :cool:

Oooh, I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on this one when you've finished. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about it, but the TBR is long enough that I can afford to wait! :lol:

Hi Jez, It was a very pleasant surprise to see you here again!
Happy New Year and Best Holiday wishes! I hope all has been well with you. The reading especially.

Re The Original of Laura, I can't believe that it has not been on the absolute top of my TBR pile -- and even already read -- since I did receive it as soon as it came out. But times change, and the old VN group is gone from here, so I guess I'm saving it for a more relaxing time to read it slowly and savor it completely. Right now I'm eager to get started with Your Face Tomorrow by Javier Marias, as soon as Vol 1 arrives in the mail.

So, the beat goes on,
And we shall see about TOOL. :)
Take care,
Peder
:flowers:

Started The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland New Year's Day and lined up for Jan but def not guaranteed to be read are:

Child 44 by Tim Rob Smith
Everlost by Neal Shusterman
Rollback by Robert J Sawyer
Lion Of Ireland by Morgan Llywelyn
The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick
Dark Fire by C.J Sansom
Far From The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Posession by A. S. Byatt
Your Face Tomorrow (3 vols) by Javier Marias
The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa
Verdun by Jules Romains
Go Down, Moses by James Faulkner

They won't all get finished in January, but they will all get started -- two are already. :)

The same A.S. Byatt who will be receiving an honorary doctorate at Leiden university come February?

My reading for January:

A Sentimental Journey - Laurence Sterne
A Sicilian Romance - Ann Radcliff
Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift
Pamela - Samuel Richardson
Joseph Andrews - Henry Fielding
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
Persuasion - Jane Austen

Finished the first two already, about to start Gulliver's Travels and am looking to read Joseph Andrews or Pamela tomorrow. The last three I have to read before the start of the next semester which is February 1st.

The same A.S. Byatt who will be receiving an honorary doctorate at Leiden university come February?

I would guess so, Polly. She received the Man-Booker Prize for Possession: A Romance in 1990, and has written about a dozen novels plus four books of criticism.

I see that you have your work cut out for you with Pamela in your list. :eek:

Aha, I see. My literature professor seems to like her a lot (Byatt, not Pamela).

I've to read everything up to Joseph Andrews before Wednesday. I read the first bit of Pamela already, can't say I like it.

Aha, I see. My literature professor seems to like her a lot (Byatt, not Pamela).

I have now finished Possession and it was a very pleasant read. The windup creaked a little, what with all the characters and the cross-connecting romances to be resolved, but finally it was approriately sentimental and romantic. (And tear-jerking).

I have now finished Possession and it was a very pleasant read. The windup creaked a little, what with all the characters and the cross-connecting romances to be resolved, but finally it was approriately sentimental and romantic. (And tear-jerking).

Glad you liked it. I might give it a go whenever I have time but that won't be in the next few months I'm afraid.

First I'll have to finish:

Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist (have finished it now, don't tell ;) )

Then I'll get onto:

The Intimate Adventures Of A London Call Girl - Belle de Jour

Homer And Langley - E.L.Doctorow

Brooklyn - Colm Toibin

Want To Play - P.J.Tracy

Fevre Dream - George R. R. Martin

The Subject Steve - Sam Lipsyte
The Futurological Congress - Stanislaw Lem

..too capricious to commit to anything beyond that.

Under the Dome - Stephen King
The last two Sookie Stackhouse books to finish the series
Something Classic off of my shelf...I have not decided yet...

The first volume of Your Face Tomorrow has not yet arrived, so I've taken The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa off the shelf, instead.
And I am hooked! In the form of a journal, it is a fascinating, conversational introspection on life -- a gentle and highly readable take on the existentialist view -- at least to page 6.

Well I have read so far this month:
Cutting By Steven Levenkron
Neuromancer By William Golding
and currently reading The Secret Scripture By Sebastian Barry

I think that will be all for this month, but if I finish The Secret Scripture I will start The Lovely Bones if my Gran has finished it, if she hasn't then I will start Skin Game By Caroline Kettelwell(sp!?)

I started with The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien and am now reading Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem. If I finish that before the month is over, I'll probably move to Storm of Swords by George R R Martin.

Back