• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A critique of Oprah's book club

I've read the article, and I am not sure what to think of it. So many thoughts and emotions runs through me as I think about it, I am not sure what to say. But one thing I know, before I make any firm decision about is it good or bad or Oprah is doing, I try to understand the perspectives of both sides. Can Oprah understand the context of literature as you do, and can anyone do what Oprah has done, this where it comes down to it. As you can see I really don't want to take a side on it, but I am grateful of learning something from this.

Answer to red: probably not which is why she gets people to talk about the book for her.

Answer to blue: probably not. Short of Jesus Christ himself, nobody wields the power Oprah does.

I just realised some comments made in this thread has to do with Oprah herself and not her reading selection.
I don't think she needs to be praised.lol

Has anyone read her list? How come there is a big deal on this particular book? Should we not encourage anyone who even tries it?

and big splashes are made from several people,or could be made from several people...has nothing to do with the subject.:D

Feeling rather guilty, after beiing dinged for being off-topic with big splashes, I took the liberty of going back and re-reading the original post (OP). Unless I need new reading glasses, it seems to me to be exactly about Oprah, and only peripherally about her reading selections.

So I now feel less guilty.

But I have said my piece, so I'll refrain from being off-topic again.

If the question really is

Q: So what do you think about Oprah's book selections?

Then

Ans: They are a fine collection, as I think I have already said.

I've read two: The Bluest Eye and A Lesson Before Dying. A Lesson Before Dying I thought was exceptional. The Bluest Eye was not good and I said as much in a Toni Morrison thread on this board. Nobel prize, pfft.

I tried to read Great Expectations earlier this year and had to put it down. Just couldn't take it.

I know, not really adding much to this discussion. :whistling:

Feeling rather guilty, after beiing dinged for being off-topic with big splashes, I took the liberty of going back and re-reading the original post (OP). Unless I need new reading glasses, it seems to me to be exactly about Oprah, and only peripherally about her reading selections.

So I now feel less guilty.

But I have said my piece, so I'll refrain from being off-topic again.

If the question really is

Q: So what do you think about Oprah's book selections?

Then

Ans: They are a fine collection, as I think I have already said.

Peder,my reply was to the fact that I thought it was her weight you reffered to as a big splash and not trying to make you feel guilty for the off topic.

Anyhoo,on with my thoughts....it seems to me that the original post with the article made it seem like omg how dare she even try to read such a book and like I said,if one person reads it and gets it,it's a good thing.

Peder,my reply was to the fact that I thought it was her weight you reffered to as a big splash and not trying to make you feel guilty for the off topic.

Anyhoo,on with my thoughts....it seems to me that the original post with the article made it seem like omg how dare she even try to read such a book and like I said,if one person reads it and gets it,it's a good thing.

Libra,
Oh, sorry! I missed your point, but Oprah's weight (and I feel unkind even mentioning it) was the furthest thing from my mind when I chose that metaphor. It was just a handy image that came to mind as I rather hurriedly wrote the sentence. If I had realized the potential ambiguity I would have worked harder for a different image.

I agree that promoting book reading is a good thing, but I think she is much better at promoting book sales, and with them her own cut of the profits. She's a smart woman, and an innovative business-woman.

Libra,
Oh, sorry! I missed your point, but Oprah's weight (and I feel unkind even mentioning it) was the furthest thing from my mind when I chose that metaphor. It was just a handy image that came to mind as I rather hurriedly wrote the sentence. If I had realized the potential ambiguity I would have worked harder for a different image.

I agree that promoting book reading is a good thing, but I think she is much better at promoting book sales, and with them her own cut of the profits. She's a smart woman, and an innovative business-woman.

I don't follow her show often but I have to say she has done more positives than some other daytime shows.
I agree with the sales comment,I am just hoping through her making a cut,it does make some followers into readers.

I don't follow her show often but I have to say she has done more positives than some other daytime shows.
I agree with the sales comment,I am just hoping through her making a cut,it does make some followers into readers.

I used to watch her years ago, and happened to be watching when she made the announcement that she was making a conscious effort to do exactly as you say, "more positives".

Her shows had up to that point become progressively 'lowest common denominator', and we'd actually gotten to the point of hardly watching, only spot checking so to speak. She truly reinvented herself.

Back