• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A question for the writers amongst us...

ctadams said:
OK, dumb question of the day -- Why is everyone being so hard on the poor working stiff? (Groans at her own very bad pun)

Its probably similar to the difference between married men and single men. The former knows for certain what the latter thinks it knows--by experience not rumor and postulation.

Simply put. You've published. You've written and had it fulfilled. The rest of us are chumps pounding away at the keyboard and claiming ART when the rejection slips come in when we'd rather have MONEY and half a dozen books on contract.

Edit: And I still don't understand the peanut brittle thing.

The main thing is, bobbyburn has started inserting his own laughtrack in. I think he's feeling low. I mean, how many people carry their own laughtrack around? It's kinda sad.

(bobby, just so you know, I'm over here clapping and stuff.)

Prolixic said:
Actually its sarsaparilla and if you're going to make fun of the redneck try not to spell like one.
the reason that I spelled it sasporilla is that I'm part of a conspiracy to annoy you.

everyone's in on the joke but you.

So how did this...
Freya said:
Do you write for yourself and your own enjoyment, or do you write to please other people? Can you really do both at the same time? Surely stuff that's written to entertain the masses is entertainment, rather than art?

...end up as a discussion about whoring for your publisher?

So how did this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya
Do you write for yourself and your own enjoyment, or do you write to please other people? Can you really do both at the same time? Surely stuff that's written to entertain the masses is entertainment, rather than art?

...end up as a discussion about whoring for your publisher?

It was probably the penguins. Or the space bats.[/

I'll try to deviate from the whoring...

Lots of what was once considered entertainment is now considered art. Shakespeare wasn't considered art in his lifetime, he was entertainment. He needed to sell tickets. The bawdy parts were for "the people" and likely increased sales. The Marx Brothers were definitely not considered art in their time, but many now consider "Duck Soup" an art film (others simply call it a "timeless classic" which also sounds like art). The current generation always imposes its values on history in some way, so seemingly unlikely things get elevated to "art" after a generation or so and some drop off. Many consider early black and white animation to be art now. In the 1920s it was purely for guffawing to. In the 1950s and 1960s it was considered trash. The Beatles are slowly moving into the "art" realm some thirty five years after being the world's biggest entertainers. The examples go on and on: Warner Brothers Cartoons, old dirty books and movies, Tristram Shandy was a BIG best seller in the 1760s, critics trashed it to pieces as "lowbrow" and "popular", but now it's read in English departments as the forerunner of the modern novel. Will Harry Potter be considered art in 50 years? The line between art and entertainment can often be thin and fuzzy. And it's typically variable and amorphous. Not only that, art and entertainment seem to be merging more and more in our century, for better or worse. Japanese popular art is a good example (e.g., Takashi Murakami). It's sold in malls and it's in museums. Is it psuedo-art? Who decides?

ewomack wrote: line between art and entertainment can often be thin and fuzzy. And it's typically variable and amorphous. Not only that, art and entertainment seem to be merging more and more in our century, for better or worse.

Nicely phrased! I couldn't agree more. :)

Back