• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alternative Hobbies

Sorry about that Poppy... the answer is no, actually I named myself after the feeling - there was a time when I always seemed to be in dire straits for one reason or another.

I've heard of the band, but have never heard of their songs, until last year. There are a couple of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler fans here, and my favourite songs are definitely Sultans of Swing and Brothers in Arms. Oh, and Money for Nothing. Oh and Romeo and Juliet. And who can leave out Walk of Life...

:D :D

ds

All great songs. I have another one of their albums, probably a bit less well known - Love Over Gold. My favorite off it is Private Investigations. His guitar playing is amazing. May you not live up to your name:D

I have a vegetable stew in the crock pot and later I am going to make some sweet potato muffins to go with it. This afternoon I had 16 deer in my backyard, the most that I have seen at one time. probably in March the black bears will start coming again. I will keep an eye out for them.

direstraits said:
I was just thinking - how many of you actually take up some new form of hobby just to break the monotony of your daily grind once in a while? .........

Felt like drawing at the start of 2006, so just got myself a beginners'book for drawing. Actually, charcoal drawing, or you may just say pencil. *grins*

I run and do yoga.
Have just started out to learn russian. Have only learned their alphabet so far. Anyone else trying to learn a new language?

Flowerdk4 said:
I run and do yoga.
Have just started out to learn russian. Have only learned their alphabet so far. Anyone else trying to learn a new language?
Russian must be hard, different alphabet. My husband and I would try and learn travel language when we went to different countries. Only German and Czech stuck.
I'm collecting silent movies right now. Love all those old old movies when acting had to be really ACTING!:)
I've always had books for a hobby, fun, relaxing, learning, flight of the imagination, collecting and addiction:D
I also want to try watercolors. When I was a kid I liked to draw and paint with watercolors. I saw a watercolor in the doctor's office and thought, "I can do that".:D :D :D :D :D

One of my alternative hobbies is playing with rubik's cubes. I never much cared for them, then one day decided if I was to become a nerd I should do nerdy things. And so I have begun.

Also, in an effort to take control of my life, I began to collect fake credit cards. Tis a sick and twisted hobby to be sure, especially when I intend to pack a few into a wallet and wander through new york city hoping to be mugged...

tundra... I too wanted to play the rubik's cube. I made sure I bought a proper rubik's cube from the proper rubik's cube company, so that I get all the official colours at the proper sides. I can do the first layer, no problems. Subsequent layers I have yet to master. May have to do with the fact that I'm not really a nerd [hysterical laughter].

Well, I used to collect old credit cards, and have never heard of 'fake' credit cards. Are they the ones that say "American Expresso" or "Vissa"? I collect anything that is a card, and the same size as a normal credit card, including but not limited to: pay phone cards, hotel keycards, membership cards, etc. I stopped because I'm so not a nerd. [hysterical laughter]

ds

p.s. Where is poppy? :(

I haven't mastered the subsequent layers either. But I will not give up!

Fake credit cards are cards from real companies (not american expresso or vissa) that are printed on one side of heavy cardstock or plastic (without the magnetic strip). They send them in the mail along with credit card applications in some effort to win you over by giving you a credit card lookalike. They have the regular stuff printed on the front, including a random credit card number (not a real one). Some of them have a generic name like "L Walker," and some of them actually print your own name on them. I only keep the generic ones. And on the back it says nothing..or something to the effect of "this is not a real card" or something. I don't keep the cards that have my real name printed on them because eventually I'm going to pack a few in a wallet I don't use and attempt to get pickpocketed in New York City. I wouldn't want the duped pickpocket to know who duped him.

I started a new hobby this evening and it has left me in pain. The hobby is MMA. I've been doing muay thai since May and MMA incorporates some of that, along with some other disciplines. It works absolute wonders for cardio and muscle tone and pretty much works every part of the body. (I can now break someone's arm when they would would appear to have the upper hand.)

To Flower, I tried Russian a couple of years ago. The alphabet is the easy part; it's the grammatical cases and the verbs that get you. I've done some German in the past but if I was to study a language now I might look at Polish since I've learnt some of that too.

I started a new hobby this evening and it has left me in pain. The hobby is MMA. I've been doing muay thai since May and MMA incorporates some of that, along with some other disciplines. It works absolute wonders for cardio and muscle tone and pretty much works every part of the body. (I can now break someone's arm when they would would appear to have the upper hand.)

So you're saying we should avoid sudden moves or making you angry? ;)

Break your arm! Not chop it off. Don't talk nonsense. How would a swan chop your arm off?

No, they break your arms and then, while you're writhing in agony, they peck you to death. IT'S ALL TRUE!

With an axe, same as any self-respecting wild fowl.
You know, when I was in Stratford-upon-Avon, where many swans may be seen, I could have sworn I saw one with an axe. I mentioned this to many people, but alas, they thought I was crazy. I lost many friends that day who thought I went bananas.

But I'm glad I'm finally vindicated. I shall forward the link to your post, Honeybee.

ds

You know, when I was in Stratford-upon-Avon, where many swans may be seen, I could have sworn I saw one with an axe. I mentioned this to many people, but alas, they thought I was crazy. I lost many friends that day who thought I went bananas.

But I'm glad I'm finally vindicated. I shall forward the link to your post, Honeybee.

ds

I believe it! Besides, swans are related to geese, and I've known some pretty wicked geese. Let's just say we weren't too sorry to see the foxes do them in..wicked dotty birds!

Back