• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

am i the only one without a library card?

Buddy Knox

i've noticed that many of you seem to frequent the library a lot. please don't tell me that i'm the only one that doesn't own a library card. i usually go to barnes & nobles once or twice a month and just pick up the books that i want. it sucks sometimes because every now and then i pay for books that are horrible. but that doesn't happen to often...

anyways... am i the only one without one?

I don't own a library card. Only time I go to the library is for work related stuff, journals and text books and such. Same for when I was at uni. I like to own my own books, plus the library rarely has anything I want, and if it does it's already been pawed over by umpteen and twelvety different people with sticky hands who all seemed to managed to drop their dinner on it. I probably haven't been to a library to pick up books that I wanted, rather than needed, since my mid-teens, which was when they finally let me upstairs to the adult's section. And it was shite. If I'd wanted to read 100 different books by Giles Brandreth explaining how and why words am great it would have been fantastic, but I didn't, so it sucked. The children's section was really good, but once I'd grown out of it, the library didn't really have very much to offer me anymore.

I don't like the library. Like spork lady says, they have nothing I want. Anyway, I prefer to buy and keep my books. I don't waaaaaaaaaaaaana give em back!

Regards
SillyWabbit

I joined a library for one day once. I'd just started a new school, which I hated, and it was library day. I was in a complete fug the whole day so when I got to the library I just asked how many books they wanted me to have and grabbed some at random. When I got home, I threw such a tantrum that I never had to go back to that school again. With the consequence that I never went back to that library again and I got to keep the books. To this day I regret not paying more attention and picking up some better books. The only one I can remember now is The Voyage of QV66, though I think there was one about a house floating away. Clearly I was in the water related section when I made my choices.

And in my defence, it was a really bad school, and I have never refused to attend school either before or since, it was only this one school and it was truly evil.

You can learn a lot at evil school, like being evil for one! Manic meglomaniacs went to evil school. I attented evil school for awhile. My favorite lesson was the cackling class. Fond memories... Now children let's all go mmmmhahahahahahaha and say it like you really WANT to blow up the world.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Evil can't be taught. It's something you're born with. Either you've got it or you haven't. If you haven't, you're wasting your time, and if you have, going to school will only stifle your natural abilities and turn you into a clone. You'll never rise above the rank of evil minion. You need to learn your own style.

Libraries

May I ask those of you who haven't already shared their library-horror experiences why you don't use a library? I would never be able to afford to read if I had to buy all my books, and many of the books I read are not good enough to keep anyway-- and some of them are awful enough I am sorry I spend time on them, let alone money.

Litany said:
Evil can't be taught. It's something you're born with. Either you've got it or you haven't. If you haven't, you're wasting your time, and if you have, going to school will only stifle your natural abilities and turn you into a clone. You'll never rise above the rank of evil minion. You need to learn your own style.

That's right and I doubt either of you has what it takes. On this subject I do have experience. :)

What I don't have is a library card. I used to 'til my son was breaking me with overdue book fines, which was a real bitch because he never read them anyway.

RaVeN

I lost my library card, so I rejoined last year, and haven't regretted it.

Granted, after buying your own books, the library ones seem to be dog-eared and are falling apart. That said, aren't there books that you'd love to read but wouldn't want to spend money on? The b list? Some libraries even have stuff that's long out of print. It's a great opportunity to preview books, and for many people it's a great way of saving money.

Many libraries have noticeboards as to what's going on in your local area. Get out and become part of the community.

Since the big read, I know a lot of libraries in my area also run book discussion groups.

The main downside is giving the books back, but often you can just give them a ring and getting the deadline extended.

I have a library card but I don't use it. I still have the last book's I borrowed - they were due back around 18th August 2001.

I have two library cards, one for my home town and one for where i went to Uni - both are now expired :( I keep meaning to go rejoin but i cant be bothered, even though it would save me a ton of money.

But i do love libraries, im just lazy!! :D

Phil

Mile-O-Phile said:
I have a library card but I don't use it. I still have the last book's I borrowed - they were due back around 18th August 2001.

You BAD man, i'm telling on you! Also, i'm telling your mother :eek:

Regards
SillyWabbit

I have a library card but haven't been back in a bit as I owe them some money in late fees. The whole late fee thing is really a turn-off, plus they aren't open on Sunday, which is when I want to go. Every so often, I'll pay off the fees I have a go thru a few rounds of borrowing before I rack up some more fees. I tend to get either fantasy books that aren't out in paperback yet or non-fiction for research.

The library here has a good inter-library loan program, so I can borrow from all the libraries in the system.

I never go to a library - when I like a book, I wanna buy it and keep it.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

one thing i remember about borrowing library books as a child is how disgusting many of the books were. finding a dry booger in the middle of a Three Investigators novel was a common thing.

ugh...

When I was young, I was regular go to library, not now I prefer to buy book and keep them. Like my own library. :)

The local library has a pretty good web site and so far they have had every book that I've wanted. Though I have only been making use of their services for the past few months. I usually check Barnes and Noble's web site to check reviews and see what I might want to check out. Then I go to the library's web site to place holds. It usually takes around three days before the book is ready to be picked up. It helps that the library is on the way to and from work.

The only downside that I've seen so far is that with the really popular books, you may have to wait a month or two before you can get your hands on it. I've had Life of Pi on hold since the end of February, I believe, and it finally came available within the past few days. The county library has 80+ copies available, but there are hundreds of people waiting for it. I was 273rd in line when I first placed the hold.

I try not to think about the unsanitary nature of the books that I check out of the library. They've probably been in peoples' bathrooms, etc. I do see the occasional dry booger, food smear, pencil mark, or folded corner. But surprisingly, most of the books have been in pretty good condition.

SillyWabbit said:
Did you eat it?? :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

C'mon Buddy, cough up...I mean..answer Wabbit. Confession is good for the soul. You DO have soul don't you?

RaVeN

Back