• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

America being ridiculous...again

Wow! Go away for a few hours, and it takes 30 minutes to catch up! :eek: LOL!

I won't weigh in on everything, but I'll go through a few that caught my eye.

Novella, yes, I read what the read was about. In my opinion, the article in question managed to play on paranoia, skew the details, and give the impression that the few affiliates who chose not to show the movie as being significant. Presently, there are 231 ABC affiliates nationwide. That's hard for people in some other countries to grasp. There are nearly 5,000 separate television stations in the country. Of the 231 who follow ABC's programming, 18 of them decided not to air the movie. I don't think that's really too significant. JMO.

As for the whole religion in government thing, I think it's important to note that there are plenty of public servants who aren't protestant or catholic. Mayors, governors, senators and representatives span a wide variety of faiths (or no faith at all). There are quite a few devout Jewish senators, for example, and I presume that if one is elected in the future, he will choose to swear his allegiance to the country on the Torah, rather than the Bible. The bible isn't required. It's not even used in courts anymore when a witness is to testify. The language now goes "Do you swear or affirm that the testimony..."

SillyWabbit, there are a LOT of places in the U.S. where you can open your bottle of wine on the grass and stare at the sky. Don't know where you've been. I do it all the time in public parks. Many parks back east have eliminated "open containers" more because of littering and broken glass issues than with drinking.

Ms. Wilde, I share your desire for a colorless, classless society. I wish all people could be judged on their merits alone, without any "assistance" or "shame" from the government. But in having a classless society, we would also have to return to the concept of the "right to fail". Presently in the US, a person is not ALLOWED to fail. You cannot lose your job and not feed your children. It's a crime. You can't send them to school in shoddy clothing because it's all you can afford. That's a crime too. No health insurance and you don't vaccinate? Yep, it's "neglect". Even people without children aren't spared from the class issue. College? Well, I'd like as much as anyone to see an equal mix of students in class. Unfortunately, many Latino and African-American don't apply. Those who actually *want* to attend college are held back by money. But without resources for books and professors, students wouldn't get what they pay for. I'd like to see open borders, without fear, but that probably won't happen, because there are too many who WANT our way of life. Right now, there's plenty of land and work. Cool! Bring on the immigrants. But please find some way to ensure that they aren't going to bother those already here. Make them happy to be here and not hate us for our very existence and I'd love to see them. Make them choose to learn our language and our customs, because any other country requires the same. It's not unreasonable.

Okay, off my soapbox. :D :p

Cathy

Oh, BTW -- for those interested, there's a very interesting map that USA Today prepared. It's the presidential elections by COUNTY, not by state. It's interesting to see split of voters within a state, even if the state overall went to a particular candidate.

USA Today County Map

in my country 89% of the population its roman catholic.
but public religious education its banned by the constitution.
of course there are private schools, but even in those they cant make you participate in religious activities (of course your dad would have the last saying :p )
i know i studied in one of those for a great part of my life, but the education in those are usually very good. (when i got to college i saw the difference)

Cathy C said:
Ms. Wilde, I share your desire for a colorless, classless society. I wish all people could be judged on their merits alone, without any "assistance" or "shame" from the government. But in having a classless society, we would also have to return to the concept of the "right to fail". Presently in the US, a person is not ALLOWED to fail. You cannot lose your job and not feed your children. It's a crime. You can't send them to school in shoddy clothing because it's all you can afford. That's a crime too. No health insurance and you don't vaccinate? Yep, it's "neglect". Even people without children aren't spared from the class issue. College? Well, I'd like as much as anyone to see an equal mix of students in class. Unfortunately, many Latino and African-American don't apply. Those who actually *want* to attend college are held back by money. But without resources for books and professors, students wouldn't get what they pay for. I'd like to see open borders, without fear, but that probably won't happen, because there are too many who WANT our way of life. Right now, there's plenty of land and work. Cool! Bring on the immigrants. But please find some way to ensure that they aren't going to bother those already here. Make them happy to be here and not hate us for our very existence and I'd love to see them. Make them choose to learn our language and our customs, because any other country requires the same. It's not unreasonable.

Lady, you scare the hell out of me. I'm going to remove myself from this dialogue now before it gets any uglier.

Irene Wilde

watercrystal said:
And please just help with this question: is it true that in the u.s. , the relationship among familiy members are kind cold or detached?? Thank you.

Would be curious to know where you came upon that idea? I don't believe it is true as a whole, and I know it is not in my case.

Cathy C said:
Oh, BTW -- for those interested, there's a very interesting map that USA Today prepared. It's the presidential elections by COUNTY, not by state. It's interesting to see split of voters within a state, even if the state overall went to a particular candidate.

USA Today County Map

also check this ones, i think its the source for that one, but there its also a very cool one with the counties resized acording to the population

Cathy C said:

USA Today County Map

Just wondering what you found interesting about it? Yes, all of the rural areas voted for Bush and cities for Kerry....

True@1stLight said:
Would be curious to know where you came upon that idea? I don't believe it is true as a whole, and I know it is not in my case.

yes, yes, i know it is too generalized. that is why i asked for clarification. I do not know either where i have got that idea. and i think i have some other broad generalized biases, but one good thing is that i am getting to be aware of it.

cajunmama, you've answered my question. but, isn't it your own family? :D

True@1stLight said:
Just wondering what you found interesting about it? Yes, all of the rural areas voted for Bush and cities for Kerry....

I found it interesting because it seems to be the same every time. Cities = liberal, country = conservative. Is it that people with liberal views tend to congregate with others similar to their views, or is it being IN the city that changes the perspective? Is it how a person was raised? Sort of an "Animal Farm" kind of thing?

Actually curious, not trying to be snide.

Cathy C said:
I found it interesting because it seems to be the same every time. Cities = liberal, country = conservative. Is it that people with liberal views tend to congregate with others similar to their views, or is it being IN the city that changes the perspective? Is it how a person was raised? Sort of an "Animal Farm" kind of thing?

Actually curious, not trying to be snide.

That is a good question. I tend to lean toward the idea that it is due to how each one's perspective is formed while growing up. What one has experienced as well as the reactions they have witnessed to these experiences, seems to go a long way in determining what they believe. Obviously this isn't always the case as the expansion of ideas through literature, movies, or otherwise also seem to have a profound influence in many cases.

Then of course you have to look at which party tends to serve the interests of each type of pesron. What people prioritize is often very much a reflection of their environment. What this says about each is open to interpretation.....

True@1stLight said:
What people prioritize is often very much a reflection of their environment. What this says about each is open to interpretation.....

Good point. I tend to favor balance. An equal number of liberals and conservatives that compliment the checks and balances. If a conservative is in the white house, then the judiciary or the congress should be liberal. If one county judge is liberal, then the district attorney should be conservative. It's not a perfect system, but it seems to work. I think I agree with the upbringing as well. I've known people from small towns that have grown into cities. They are conservative, their children are not - much more liberal. Likewise, city folk that are tired of the grind and move to the country tend to wind up with very conservative kids. What -- is it in the AIR or something?? :confused: ;)

Irene Wilde said:
Lady, you scare the hell out of me. I'm going to remove myself from this dialogue now before it gets any uglier.

Irene Wilde

Hmm. Sorry you disagree. I sort of thought we were on the same page. I really would like to see the end of checkpoints and fences and border issues. We probably disagree on the way to get to the ultimate goal, though.

I do think we're making headway on the race issue. Interracial marriages aren't that big a deal any more. Our latest romance has a South African hero and an Indonesian heroine (both American immigrants). A black Governor, or a Latino multi-millionaire is perfectly acceptable. Young women don't even comprehend the issue of a "glass ceiling". It's slow, but I think we're getting there.

Cathy C said:
Make them choose to learn our language and our customs, because any other country requires the same. It's not unreasonable.

This, to me, contradicts the basic premise on which America is founded. We don't have a national language, and our customs are as diverse as our residents. Tolerance, not conformity, is the key to democracy.

novella said:
This, to me, contradicts the basic premise on which America is founded. We don't have a national language, and our customs are as diverse as our residents. Tolerance, not conformity, is the key to democracy.

Okay, let me rephrase that -- what I meant to say was that I think it's unfair for a few people of one culture to demand of the rest that they be excepted from knowing the primary language. It's only realistic to accept that English is the *primary* language of America. Not the only, but the primary.

I have no problem with different cultures, languages and such, but parents demanding, for example, that classes in certain schools MUST be bi-lingual (and ONLY in English/Spanish) because the parents choose not to learn English or speak it at home isn't fair to all. It's certainly not fair to the school districts and limits the hiring pool. If bi-lingual, then make it tri- or quad. Tolerance is great. My paternal grandparents were first generation Norwegian and my maternal grandparents spoke fluent German, but BOTH sides should be equally tolerant. But some refuse to give up any aspect of their old country and try to make the new country adapt. If I knew I was going to live in France, I'd learn French, or in Japan - Japanese. It's only polite.

Love the map -

I was trying to figure out that wee blue spot in the middle of Texas, and then figured out what it was. God Bless Austin. :)

Ashlea said:
Love the map -

I was trying to figure out that wee blue spot in the middle of Texas, and then figured out what it was. God Bless Austin. :)

Hey, by the way, thanks to the mods and TBF for being so tolerant, letting people air their views and exchange ideas without snuffing it out. I think that's really great.

novella said:
Hey, by the way, thanks to the mods and TBF for being so tolerant, letting people air their views and exchange ideas without snuffing it out. I think that's really great.

Agreed, was wondering if something would happen. Also, thanks to the moderator who was kind enough to private message me about a situation and ask before making a decision. I was very impressed and appreicate it.
:)
-True

novella said:
That is probably also because people on this forum seem to be open to other peoples views. So far I have not seen anyone putting someone else down for having a different view on things, and you have to love that about the people here.

Hay

True, it's good we can all argue with passion without it getting nasty :)

Also, thanks to the mods for letting it run.

Yeah that's great around here! :D

By the way does anyone know the thread where we were talking about books we tried to force others to read? I've been searching but can't find it!

Cathy C said:
I do think we're making headway on the race issue. Interracial marriages aren't that big a deal any more. Our latest romance has a South African hero and an Indonesian heroine (both American immigrants). A black Governor, or a Latino multi-millionaire is perfectly acceptable. Young women don't even comprehend the issue of a "glass ceiling". It's slow, but I think we're getting there.

Good. here is another bias, or generalized viewpoints. is it true that aboriginal americans in u.s. tend to catergorize them as black people?

As for the interracial marriage, i think there is something wrong. one or two couple of inerracial marriage doesn't mean anything that is democracy or liberal or freedom...it might be only personal choices.

can you inform me among the dropouts students, how large the proportion of colored people comparied with whites?

ps: i think sometimes people don't even notice their own bias, but instead, proud of their being the way how they are. ---maybe another generalized opinion??

Thank you for helping clarify.

Back