• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

American Idol 2006

SFG75

Anyone hooked on this like me? I don't know why, but I feel very embarrassed when some of those people sing. Not only that, but then there are the ones who argue with the panel and think they will show them(and the rest of the world) that they can truly sing.:rolleyes: I don't know why, but it's very compelling. Perhaps I'm tired of nightline these days.

SFG75 said:
I don't know why, but I feel very embarrassed when some of those people sing. Not only that, but then there are the ones who argue with the panel and think they will show them(and the rest of the world) that they can truly sing.:rolleyes:

That's the only good thing about shows like this: the auditions full of deluded nutjobs. Once they get the actual contestants it just descends into camp farce which isn't worth watching.

There's always been a fascination with talent contests. From the Arthur Godfrey show when I was a little kid, to the Gong Show and You Can Be a Start(TNN) in the late 70's and early 80's. There's something about watching all those people trying to get some recongnition, and hopefully, a contract. Most made me want to hold a pillow over my ears:p

We enjoy it too. The kids like it and we can watch it as a family so that's nice. I keep hoping each season there will be a truly original talent...you know, someone with an unusual voice, that will shine out from the rest, but so far natch. Maybe this year. That gray-headed Joe Cocker guy seemed pretty original. It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

I'm hooked too.

Geist, I agree with you about the grey headed dude - he was great. I also liked the 16 year old girl who sung that Billie Holiday song.

And as always, it's the hilarious, talentless, egomaniacal (how many times do they respond "You'll be buying MY record" when they get rejected :rolleyes: ) nutjobs that keep me entertained. :D

angerball said:
I'm hooked too.

Geist, I agree with you about the grey headed dude - he was great. I also liked the 16 year old girl who sung that Billie Holiday song.

And as always, it's the hilarious, talentless, egomaniacal (how many times do they respond "You'll be buying MY record" when they get rejected :rolleyes: ) nutjobs that keep me entertained. :D

Am I the only one who wonders "who told these people they could sing?"
Somebody, somewhere along the road told these folks that they should try to get into show business. I want to know who these people are and why they're so cruel..

angerball said:

I KNOW! Everytime they come out of the audition rejected, we're always ... "wait for it, wait for it" because we know it's coming. It never fails! Who IS deluding these poor people into thinking they can sing? Because the amazing thing is that you can tell almost all these people honestly think they can, that's it's not just a gimmick. Although they'll show some small clips of people who are dressed in outrageous costumes, or singing really stupid songs, that you know are coming on just to get some publicity. I bet that's been a real problem for show ever since Hung made so much money off his appearance.

It will be interesting tonight to see how many people made it through. It didn't seem like they let many through on the last few auditions. I wonder if there's less this year than before?

Did anyone see the guy who sung like Cher?? That just wasn't right. I'm surprised Simon didn't punch his lights out.

^LOL - yus, I saw that. Funny! :D He's the one who also had a bit of an argument with Simon over whether he should become a female inpersonator.

And what is it with the Brittnam(sp?) twins? They have an awesome audition and then they get busted for forgery.:rolleyes: Now they apologize and they are still in it?:confused:

SFG75 said:
And what is it with the Brittnam(sp?) twins? They have an awesome audition and then they get busted for forgery.:rolleyes: Now they apologize and they are still in it?:confused:

Ha, not so much anymore. They performed an awesome disappearing trick, disappearing from the Idol stage to a jail cell. Personally, I don't think they should have made it to the final 12 cuts anyway. It was pretty obvious they were just keeping them in to make some drama.

I am still rooting for the gray-haired Ray Charles guy, because he's just so unexpected and strange. Although I think Paris will probably take it. I am kind of annoyed at how they do the same formula each year. The glasses geeky kid is the Anthony Federov; Ace is the hunky one like Constantine; the gorgeous dark-headed one is like that Vegas singer they had last year; the sad little country girl is like Carrie (although with less talent); etc. Oh, and let's not forget the big and beautiful woman, which is like the bigger guy with the glasses last year (sorry I can't remember all the names). They just make it a little too obvious that they're trying to reach all demographics.

geist said:
I am still rooting for the gray-haired Ray Charles guy, because he's just so unexpected and strange.

Me too - he's awesome!!! He already has an album out called Under The Radar. His name is Taylor Hicks if you want to google him.

I'm not sure, DS. I know it's being sold out of some record store in Alabama, so I'm sure it's either one he put out himself, or it was done by a small local label.

Not impressed with the women in this competition. I thought Paris was a shoo-in, but she's not been as impressive as I thought she would be. Taylor hasn't knocked me out, either. The guys are definitely better this year. I'm still undecided about which one it will be, though. They all seem to be up-and-down so far.

I've been wanting to say this for a long while now, but kept forgetting. But here it is: Ever since watching Rockstar: INXS, I watch the contestants on Idol with a little... trepidation. Everyone, and I do mean *everyone*, on Rockstar beats the best of what Idol has to offer. Plus the songs in Rockstar are a million miles nicer.

Nobody in the Idol lineup is Idol material at present - the group they have this year does not have the wow factor, IMHO. But then since Rockstar, maybe Idol never will.

Just my opinion.

I'm going to write something nice about Rockstar now... :)

ds

They took off Latoya London, who was the best contestant they've EVER had on that show, and I've refused to watch it since.

Back