• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

An article about owning too many books (?!)

Mari

The original is here, from the New York Times (free registration required).

It says something about the nesting habits of certain bookish New Yorkers that when a shopper took a wrong turn out of the Strand one day, he wandered into Hank O'Neal's apartment and mistook it for an annex of the bookstore.

He was looking for the rare book room, but he took the wrong door, which led to the wrong elevator, which opened directly onto Mr. O'Neal's front hall. There the man was, methodically making his way along a hallway bookshelf sagging under the complete works of Djuna Barnes when Mr. O'Neal's wife, Shelley Shier, looked up.

''Excuse me, can I help you?'' she called.

''Oh, no,'' the man answered cheerily. ''Just browsing.''

New York City is full of people like Mr. O'Neal -- lifelong bibliophiles with a proclivity for accumulation, holed up in compact spaces in the intimate company of thousands upon thousands upon thousands of books.

The phenomenon is not unique to New York, but it is abetted by a few facts of life here: Books are ubiquitous and often affordable; space is tight, and rent laws, just renewed, encourage people to stay put.

It does not take long to fill up a rent-stabilized, one-bedroom apartment, if a person is buying, say, a book a day -- off remainder tables, in flea markets, in used bookstores, from catalogues, off sidewalk tables, from one of those megabookstores gobbling up the city.

Suddenly, there are books under the litter box, books under the bed, books rising in towers. Moving might force a collector to winnow. But the rent is manageable, and real estate is expensive. So, why move?

Books are, furthermore, essential to many a New Yorker's self-image. The appeal is sartorial as well as cerebral. In certain circles, there seems to be an assumption that intellectual tonnage correlates with linear footage of books.

Just as empty nesters in Los Angeles convert their children's bedrooms into closets, New Yorkers commandeer bedrooms for books, even before their children move out.

So what if no one can read all 10,000? ''The point is, you're always going to read,'' said Peter F. Skinner, who has about 6,000 books in his tiny Greenwich Village tenement, the sort of place that might be inhabited by a literate hedgehog in a British children's book.

''As Anthony Burgess said, there's no better reason for not reading a book than owning it,'' said Mr. Skinner, who recently moved 2,250 more books to a $90-a-month storage locker he had furnished with bookcases on casters. ''It's always there to read.''

There is an airline claims manager with 4,500 cookbooks in her Murray Hill apartment, an architect with 10,000 architecture books, an obstetrician-gynecologist whose Brooklyn apartment is overrun with books about Napoleon.

There is Edward Robb Ellis, an 87-year-old writer, who shares his four-room apartment in Chelsea with what he estimates to be 10,000 books, including, he reveals proudly, five sets of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Ron Kolm, a writer and bookstore night manager, lost his bedroom in Long Island City, Queens, to his archive of downtown writing. For years, he and his wife have slept in the living room on a fold-out bed.

He recalled watching his reading material rise to a height of seven feet. ''I felt like Schliemann, only in reverse,'' Mr. Kolm said, referring to the 19th-century German archeologist. ''Instead of excavating the levels of Troy, I was creating them.''

Then there are the serious cases.

Landlords have been known to fire off letters warning tenants to divest themselves of books or face eviction. Mr. Kolm swears he knew a man who took to spending nights on the fire escape, peering in at his books.

''I've been in places where there were books in the bathtub,'' said Henry Holman, who rummages through apartments as the buyer for Gryphon Bookshop on the Upper West Side. ''I've been in apartments where there were books in the bed. I've been in apartments where you were hard put to imagine exactly where they did sleep.''

Those cases are ''getting into the realm of, at least by my definition, a kind of pathology,'' continued Mr. Holman, who lives with thousands of books, and his wife, in a one-bedroom apartment in Washington Heights. ''You might imagine some kind of underground animal bringing in things and making a nest.'' Some people keep their books sprawled in heaps. Others pack their books meticulously in built-in shelves -- horizontal, vertical, and in double rows in what one called a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle.

Books are insulation -- psychic, emotional, physical. For those who believe books are superior to humans, they are also hard to unload. They are a link to the past, an escape from the present, a reminder of how much remains to be known. They make statements, intended or not.

''I can't see you to the door, really,'' explained Ann Douglas, a Columbia professor with 8,000 books in her one-bedroom apartment, maneuvering past a bookcase half-obstructing the front door. ''You know, in some sense, it could seem they were more important than you. And you know, in some sense, they are.''

The 1920's are in the hall, William James is in the kitchen (because he said philosophy was meant to be not a printed bill of fare but a hearty meal). ''In the bedroom initially it was all theology,'' Professor Douglas said. ''I thought, 'Sleep with God. That's the best plan.' ''

When Columbia paid to move her from Princeton, she says, the moving company classified her household as a small library and billed extra. ''I kept protesting: 'Look, I have a bed! There's a stove here!' '' she said recently. ''They said, 'Lots of libraries have beds.' ''

The problem starts innocently enough, as it did for Dalia Carmel. She arrived from Israel in 1960, not knowing, she says, how to boil water. A brochure from the Cookbook Club, addressed to Resident, landed in her mailbox, offering three books for a dollar if she signed up.

She picked the three biggest, figuring they would tell her the most. But others kept coming, as book-club books do. Then she discovered remainder tables.

Now her 4,500 cookbooks cram shelves in every room of the two-bedroom apartment she and her husband have occupied since 1978. Some nestle snugly against the ceiling.

There are entire sections devoted to subjects like ''pancakes'' and ''nuts.'' There are sections for Balkan, Turkish, Hawaiian cuisine. There are diplomatic cookbooks and expatriate cookbooks and books bought for a single recipe -- say, horseradish mousse.

Not long ago, Ms. Carmel (who now cooks rather well) noticed that her bread books were listing. To avert an avalanche, she reached up and gave them a shove. She tore her right rotator cuff, ended up in surgery and now finds herself in bookstores reading books she already has at home rather than risk re-injury by digging them out.

Continued below.

Article continued:

Some, like Ms. Carmel, are born collectors, with a passion for completeness. They are in the grip of a compulsion that they describe as an immutable fact of life. Others are acquirers. Books glom onto them, like metal filings to a magnet. They are constitutionally incapable of letting them go.

It is not cheap. Der Scutt, the architect who designed Trump Tower, has about 10,000 architecture books in his office; his house on the Upper East Side is full of art and nautical books; his pirate books are overflowing into his architectural books. Last year he spent $38,000 on books.

The congenital collectors are also awash in other things. Dr. Alvin H. Weiner, who collects books on Napoleon, also collects Napoleonic coins, Napoleonic death masks, Napoleonic autographs, Napoleon ceramics, and toy soldiers in his three-bedroom apartment in Brooklyn.

Hank O'Neal, on the other hand, is an acquirer. He started out as a teen-ager who loved to read. Forty-five years later, books occupy 412 linear feet of space (and counting) in his office-apartment near the Strand at 12th Street and Broadway, and more in a house in rural Pennsylvania.

''I remember a wonderful Norwegian girl in the 60's,'' he reminisced fondly. ''She said, 'You have to read a book by a man named Knut Hamsun called ''Pan.'' ' So I said 'OK.' I got a copy of it, and it was terrific. That top shelf over there, that's all Knut Hamsun.''

And his wife, how does she feel?

''I'm thinking 'library card,' that's how I feel,'' Ms. Shier said sourly.

Mr. O'Neal shook his head humorously: ''Shelley, you should be ashamed of yourself.''

The unwritten rule is this: There is always room for one more. And if one, then why not five? Eventually, books overflow even the most expansive shelves. Then the book-besotted learns to rationalize: That pile is not in the way; I can still reach the bathroom.

Mr. Kolm, who lost his bedroom, describes the problem as ''the inertia of motion and the inertia of rest.'' Which is to say, mountains of books do not go away. In fact, they get bigger because the collector goes on accumulating more stuff simply because it is somehow related to stuff he already has.

In his case, all he could do in the end was open the bedroom door and throw things in. The ceiling was crumbling but he could not fix it. ''I could go in and look in the distance and see the plaster was falling down and stuff,'' he said. ''I was sorry, but there wasn't anything I could do.''

Mr. Skinner said he lost control five years ago. ''An enormous tumulus'' of books swallowed up his living room floor. There was no longer room to put down bedding for a guest. Vacuuming consisted of blowing dust off the bookshelves onto the books on the floor. Finally, this spring, he hauled 2,250 books out to a nearby mini-storage building.

Now Professor Douglas is approaching capacity.

''It is getting worrisome,'' she conceded recently. But, she said, ''somehow, I have this mysterious faith. Since I was meant to have all these books, something will open up.''

WARNING SIGNS
Too Many?

1. HAVE YOU EVER:
a) talked to your books?
b) had your living room floor reinforced?
c) rented a spare apartment for your books?
d) all of the above

2. HAS YOUR landlord ever said with a sneer, ''Using books to sound-proof your kitchen is no excuse!''

3. IF COMPLETENESS is a virtue, do you have:
a) every book written by your 14 favorite authors?
b) every book written about them?
c) every book they have ever blurbed?
d) all of the above, natch

4. RATHER THAN lend a book to a friend, do you find it easier just to buy three spare copies?

:cool: As soon as our printer is back in action I'm printing this out for my dh! He gripes about the abundance of books at OUR house-he should get a load of this! Back in March, I read a gorgeous book about personal libraries and was amazed at the collections of some bibliophiles from around the world. I'm not at home at the moment, or I could give the name of the book. It was reccomended by a guy in one of my yahoo book groups. Thanks for the article!

You know, I started out thinking that these people were really inspiring... then as I kept reading I realised that they were scarily obsessed. $38 000?!?! In one year?! I'm all for having a lot of books and if I ever get the finances together to design and build my own home I've already got a sketch plan of my library. But I also realise that there is no way that anyone NEEDS so many. I can't see my hobby EVER turning into an obsession like these people and potentially damaging my relationships (although the wife's comment about the library card made me laugh!! :D)

And who collects Encyclopedia Brittanica?! If they're not valuable, having more than one is really rather useless.

I must confess to feeling slightly relieved after reading this artcile, after spending years of my husband convincing me I'm an astounding hoarder I now realise I'm not that bad.

When it comes to books I used to be the expert at concocting excuses as to why I shouldn't get rid of them, least of all because surely it's breaking some sort of unwritten universal rule that thou should never get rid of one single book.

Lately I seem to have found a way of justifying to my brain that it's acceptable, by giving a few books away to charity shops (after all, they do supply me with so many of my books). I am attempting to get into the routine of getting rid of a book for each new one I buy, but luckily my husband hasn't found my secret hiding place yet.

I guess I just need to do the grown up thing & say in a loud voice
"Hi, my name's Sarah & I am addicted to books. it's been 2 days since I bought my last book...."

:D Hello, my name is Vicki, and I'm addicted to books...it's been 10 minutes since I last held a book in my hands..

Here's the title of the book about private libraries: At Home With Books-Estelle Ellis- After seeing some of these libaries, I realize I'm nowhere near as obssessive as SOME people<LOL> However, if I had the money to spend on books and storage that these people have, who knows. So maybe being on a a limited budget has kept me from further excess..

Hi. My name is Mari, and I'm a biblioholic. I have books under my elbows and one in my lap even now.

Thanks, Vicki, for the book title. I just previewed it at Amazon, and it looks like it should be called At Home With Money. *sigh* Still, one can dream.

And since none of us here have enough to read, here is another newspaper piece on this subject:

”Childhood's End,” by Michael Dirda, Washington Post, November 15, 1998.

"Too many books," said my Beloved Spouse. Not for the first time, of course, but now she turned her baleful gaze upon piles of Dr. Seuss and Gail Gibbons and James Stevenson, five or six Commander Toads and Magic School Buses, several dozen paperbacks about shy forest creatures, dinosaurs and outer space.

"You," said my gentle dove, "I have given up on. You're hopeless. But our children, my children, will not have their rooms overrun by old books they no longer need. Isn't it enough that I have to put up with these rodents?" added my sweetest one, pointing to the gerbil and the frog. "And there must be enough loose Legos around here to build an addition to this house, which we sorely need, by the way."

Naturally, I expostulated. "Boopsie-woopsie, you're just not used to boys. They need a certain amount of clutter, just to feel relaxed. Probably something to do with the X chromosome," I added, with a thoughtful, scientific air. Wrong approach. Terribly wrong.

"That's the Y chromosome, you nitwit! I want these shelves reorganized, and I want it done now."

"But, light of my life, there are a lot of treasures here."

"Don't give me that. They're all treasures to you. Nobody in this household is still reading Hop on Pop or The Berenstain Bears. We're beyond primers."

"But I like to look at them every so often. Reminds me of those peaceful evenings, the ones we'll think back upon when we're old and gray, when we'd read aloud to the guys about the wheels on the bus or Angus and the ducks or the tether- ball that bounces all over town." I started to grow teary-eyed. "The best years of our lives. And now you want to throw it all on the trash heap."

"Not the trash heap," barked my angel. "The Goodwill. The Salvation Army. That used-book place at the library you spend hours at." I looked stricken. "Don't give me that look." For a moment I thought she was going to add, "young man." I had never before quite realized how schoolmarmish my princess could be. "You take your sons, and sort these shelves."

An hour later, glazed with sweat and dust, I had reduced the overflow by six books in my youngest offspring's personal Jurassic Park and Beanie Baby refuge. By contrast, my oldest son, now a teenager's teenager, had declared that I could cart away all the books in his room, including his English, math, social studies, and Spanish textbooks. Ha, ha. "No kidding, Dad. Just leave my collection of Mad paperbacks." Didn't he at least want to keep this underlined copy of The Giver that he'd studied in sixth grade? A look of exasperated astonishment preceded one of despair and resignation. "Dad, you just don't get it, do you?" Calling upon rhetorical skills honed by a lifelong study of Quintilian, I eventually persuaded the ninth-grade sophisticate to retain a few childhood favorites, for auld lang syne, if nothing else. Happily, my middle son declared that he wanted to keep all his books. Stout lad.

Alas, at this moment, my life's partner reappeared in the upstairs hallway. She peered in a bedroom, expecting to see, like some traveler from an antique land, floor space as boundless and bare as the level sands. "This is it! Six books! You spent two hours and got rid of six books." She repeated this like a mantra. Then something snapped, and her tone softened. "All right, all right. It's not your fault. You can't help yourself. It's the way you are. I've just got to accept this. This is my burden, my cross." Following a tremor of self-control, stoic resolution nobly asserted itself. "I'll just have to do the job myself. You go sort the laundry and put in a load of whites."

Happy to have gotten off so lightly, I skipped downstairs, and in the cool dark of the basement, surrounded by cartons of my books, I poked listlessly through the dirty clothes. I turned on the radio and listened to "My Word" and "My Music." Then I poured in the laundry detergent and bleach, added socks, underwear and T-shirts, decided to let everything soak a while. Naturally, I peeked -- as who would not -- into a few of my boxes, including one precariously perched on the dehumidifier. "Well, what do you know?" I said to myself, discovering a copy of Panofsky's Studies in Iconology. "Just what I was looking for."

An hour later, I turned on the washer and picked up a small stack of books that I obviously needed to move up to the pile by my bedside: Marjorie Hope Nicolson's Mountain Gloom and Mountain Glory, a study of "the aesthetics of the infinite" in European literature; a beat-up paperback of Bulwer Lytton's first novel, Pelham, one that reprinted the original first edition before he toned down some of his more cutting observations; William Bolitho's famous Murder for Profit; a bound volume of the classical journal Arion; some old issues of the Book Collector, and several other things by Brigid Brophy, Harry Mathews, and Elizabeth Smart. Good stuff.

Whistling "La ci darem la mano" noiselessly to myself, I trudged slowly upstairs with my arms full. And came to a halt. While I had labored in the dank basement, overhead a barbarian queen had loosed her legions upon the bastions of civilization. Children's picture books were piled high in the second-story hallway, like fagots for a martyr's burning. The belle dame of my youth was showing no mercy. "What, what," I spluttered, incredulous. My blonde Valkyrie shot me a glance, her blue eyes cold as steel. "Somebody had to do it. The kids need more room. Of course, you can look through them before they go out, just in case there is something we really do need, which," she growled sweetly, "is not going to be the case, is it?" At this point, my darling noticed the stack I was carrying. "Tell me that those aren't books in your hands."

In the end, I saved some of the treasures. How could anyone in her right mind consider discarding a big retrospective album of Uncle Scrooge comics? Or the two Cat in the Hat classics. Or . . . or . . . or. Fortunately, I was able to hide a few dozen pearls beyond price in the garage, where my rosebud won't think to look until spring. Admittedly, the boys' rooms do seem airier and more inviting without books scattered everywhere. But we'll soon change that, don't you worry.

:) Oh my goodness! I love this second article..it gets down to MY level, right where we are at in our stage in life. I have such a wide age span with my kids. The oldest have outgrown Hop on Pop, while the youngest kids are ready to devour Green Eggs and Ham.. And Gail Gibbons.. I LOVE this woman! She's made home schooling much easier for moms with little kids. All those basic introductions to so many topics..she deserves extra stars in her crown.
I can't wait til dh gets our computer system back in good health; I've GOT to print this article too. Thanks for sharing.

On owning too many books

I find this discussion very interesting. Personally I would not manage to give away my books. I just can´t. Each of them has a "story" of when I bought it and under which circumstances I read it. What I have made of it etc. But sometimes we can´t decide. Life decides for us. Part of my books burnt and were lost forever when a shed where I had stored them went into flames.
Paulo Coelho, the well-known writer of many novels, indicates that he has decided to own a reduced number of books only.
Honestly, I admire him for being able to take such a decison.
Of course he is right!
But I have not arrived there yet:

On books and libraries
(c) http://www.warriorofthelight.com

At the end of this Warrior of Light Online I comment on my earmarked books. Actually I do not have many books. Some years ago I made certain choices in life, led by the idea of trying to obtain maximum quality with a minimum amount of things. This does not mean that I opted for a monastic life – quite the contrary, when we are obliged to possess an infinite number of objects we have immense freedom. Some of my friends complain that because they have too many clothes they waste hours of their lives picking out what to wear. Since I have reduced my wardrobe to “basic black,” that is one problem that I do not need to face.
But I am not here to speak about fashion, but about books. To get back to the essential, I decided to keep only 400 books in my library – some for sentimental reasons, others because I am always re-reading. This decision was made for several reasons, one of them being the sadness at seeing how collections carefully gathered during a lifetime are then sold by the pound without the least respect. Another reason was: why should I keep all these books at home? To show my friends that I am cultured? To decorate the walls? The books that I have bought will be infinitely more useful in a public library than in my house.
I used to be able to say that I need them because I am going to consult them. But today, whenever there is any need for any information at all, I connect the computer, type a key-word and what I need appears there before me. That’s the Internet for you - the biggest library on Earth.
Of course I still buy books – no electronic device can possibly replace them. But as soon as I finish a book, I let it travel, give it to someone or hand it in at a public library. My intention is not to save forests or be generous; it is just that I believe that a book has a course of its own and should not be condemned to remain immobilized on a shelf.
Being a writer and living off copyrights, I may be advocating against myself – after all, the more my books are sold, the more money I earn. But that would be unfair to the reader, especially in countries where many of the government programs for buying for libraries do not use the basic criterion for a serious choice, namely the pleasure of reading a text with quality.
So let our books travel, be touched by other hands and enjoyed by other eyes. As I write this column I remember vaguely a poem by Jorge Luis Borges that speaks of the books that will never be re-opened.
Where am I now? In a little town in the French Pyrenees, sitting in a café enjoying the air-conditioning since the temperature out there is unbearable. By chance, I happen to have the complete collection of Borges at home, a couple of kilometers from where I am writing this – he is a writer that I am constantly re-reading. But why not try the test?
I cross the street. I walk for five minutes to another café, equipped with computers (a type of establishment known by the sympathetic and contradictory name of cyber-café). I say hello to the owner, order a very cold mineral water, open the page of a search program and type some words from the only verse that I remember, along with the name of the author. Less than two minutes later I have the complete poem in front of me:

There is a line by Verlaine that I’ll never remember again.
There is a mirror that has seen me for the last time.
There is a door closed till the end of time.
Among the books in my library
there is one that I’ll never open again.

In fact, I have the impression that I shall never re-open many of the books that I have given away – because something new and interesting is always being published and I love to read. I think that it is wonderful that people have libraries; the first contact that children have with books is usually through curiosity for those bound volumes with figures and letters. But I also think it is great when at a book-signing I meet readers with very used copies that have been lent dozens of times, which means that the book has traveled like the mind of the author traveled while he wrote it.

taken from (c) http://www.warriorofthelight.com Paulo Coelho Online Magazine
http://www.paulocoelho.com
http://www.paulocoelho.com/dow.shtml - free downloads

:) :) :) :) :)

I am glad that no good, dirty spammer bumped this thread else I never would have seen it.

I'm faced with needing to sort out my book collection for storage or sale. What's amusing is there's actually alot of it in storage already to which I have to add even more <sigh>. I love books so much. The Kindle is nice, and definitely convenient, but I do love walls wrapped with volumes of books alright.

I'd definitely recommend Nicholas Basbanes' books on book collecting and bibliophiles to anyone who hasn't read them. A Gentle Madness, A Splendor of Letters and Among the Gently Mad are all a great read. The last one of those is the shortest book of them all, and the most succinct, but A Gentle Madness is a very rewarding and interesting longer read.

I left over 1,000 books in storage when I moved to Germany. Even if bringing them here was an option, I would not have had the wall space for all of them.

Great article, thank you for the good humor and validation for our (ahem!) disorder....:whistling:

''Excuse me, can I help you?'' she called.

''Oh, no,'' the man answered cheerily. ''Just browsing.''

:lol::lol:

A collection of mass market paperback novels is slowly taking over my apartment. No one would mistake me for an intellectual after seeing my library.

The nonfiction section is growing as well, I recently had to lay Pirates: An Illustrated History horizontally across the books on the middle shelf. There's an empty corner right behind me, that's where the new bookshelf will go.

BTW, having so many books that you can not repair your crumbling ceiling is not cool. I was not chuckling at all the examples in that article. There's no need, in fact it's a sin, just to let a book sit unopened and never read.

Back