• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

And Now for Something Completely Different

I don't find Seinfeld funny in the slightest. Just incredibly annoying. Frasier, on the other hand, is very funny indeed.

Wow, people here have a good taste in humour. I can't tell you the amount of arguments I've had defending Python, Milligan and Blackadder amongst others.

OMG!! Blackadder, how funny is that!!

Percy: I'm sorry I'm late.
Blackadder: Don't bother apologising, I'm sorry you're alive.

or ...

Blackadder: As my tutor, old bubble face, used to say: "Make love and be merry, for tomorrow you may catch some disgusting skin disease."

Great stuff

Cheers, Martin :D

Blackadder: "I'm as poor as a church mouse, that's just had an enormous tax bill on the very day his wife ran off with another mouse, taking all the cheese.."

Baldrick: "Hear the words I sing, War's a horrid thing, But still I sing, sing, sing, Ding a ling a ling."

Blackadder (on Charlie Chaplin): "I find his films about as funny as getting an arrow through the neck and discovering there's a gas bill tied to it."

And the classic one...

George: "What do you do if you step on a mine, Captain?"
Blackadder: "Well, the usual procedure is to leap 200 feet in the air and spread yourself over a wide area…"

Lol . . .

Yessss! I couldn't think of that last one! Great comedy!! Complete new levels of deadpan-ness, utterly brilliant!

Monty Python is great! The Life of Brian has to be one of the funniest films ever. The only trouble is that I have seen it so many times I can almost recite the lines!

And as for Blackadder: pure genius. Love them all, but the one with Dr Johnson and his dictionary sticks in my mind!

Red Dwarf was great. Not Blackadder great, but still smeggin' good.

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

you can't beat the "smoke me a kipper" line lol

I agree, Blackadder was better than Red Dwarf :) But as you say, it was smeggin funny!

Regards
Sillywabbit

lies said:
Well, at least we're in Europe. I can't begin to imagine what those poor American sods must feel like.

This American sod just lost a little respect for a certain European.
Python was televised here on a regular basis and believe it or not, Americans appreciated and acknowledged their genius. ITSO (in this sod's opinion) there would have been no Saturday Night Live or SCTV without them. Most of what's aired today is just "paint by numbers" compared to the Masters of that era.
I understand why Belgians are so cranky though, considering the fact that Jean-Claude Van Damme is their greatest comedian.

RaVeN

I was going to stick up for Seinfeld and Larry David, but comparing it to Frasier, is just wrong. You've already made my point.

frasier is the fucking worst. watching that show ... I don't even care if it's a half-hour long, it's the worst half-hour of my life.

RaVeN said:
Python was televised here on a regular basis and believe it or not, Americans appreciated and acknowledged their genius. ITSO (in this sod's opinion) there would have been no Saturday Night Live or SCTV without them. Most of what's aired today is just "paint by numbers" compared to the Masters of that era.
I understand why Belgians are so cranky though, considering the fact that Jean-Claude Van Damme is their greatest comedian.

RaVeN

Well said.

I don't think Lies post was intended to be insulting to Americans. I think it was just about not being fortunate enough to be around in the same time and place as Monty Python. At least, that's how I read it. :) I don't think it was meant to say that your comedy was crap, or that you didn't like Monty Python, or that anyone in your country smelt even faintly like elderberries. Honestly I don't.

RaVeN said:

LOL. I think you misinterpreted what I said here. Or maybe I should stop adding some sarcasm to my posts to mix them up a bit. Then again, I wouldn't know how.

I'm not even sure they aired the MP sketches on Belgian TV, and if they did, I probably wasn't born yet, so I'm (or "we" -- I may as well speak for all us cranky Belgians) probably the poorest sod of them all.

Then again, I think Litany explained it better. ;)

We do have real comedy out here, but since no one on here will probably know them, I'll just join in on the BlackAdder is great chorus and take my leave.

Well, I'm from Holland, and our comedy sucks, as do our films, by the way. We're not good at anything!

So, you Brits and Yanks, keep it up!

You've got a pretty nifty football(soccer) team there though Martin, so you are good at at least one thing.

lies said:
LOL. I think you misinterpreted what I said here. Or maybe I should stop adding some sarcasm to my posts to mix them up a bit.

See what happens when you hit old age. Please allow me to open my mouth in order to withdraw my foot. If you're gentle enough (and will humm a sea chanty in my ear) I ask that you re-insert it into any other of my unoccupied orifices of your choosing. (I promise to still respect you in the morning)

There's one other show of note that I'd like to mention, though it may not be the calibur of others brought up. The Red Green show out of Canada. Being the fuddy duddy that I am, I love it.

RaVeN
(whose best friend is his duct tape)

You've got a pretty nifty football(soccer) team there though Martin, so you are good at at least one thing.
Have you seen 'us' play, recently? I take it you haven't?

Back