• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Animal Fantasy Suggestion

dddstephen

Hey, i'm looking for animal fantasy books. This includes most fantasy animals. What I REALLY enjoy is when the animals have a partner linked in mind or soul. Some of the books that have this and I enjoyed were...
Eragon
Eldest
The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass
Cast Away of the Flying Dutchman

Please suggest more!

You might like the Wolf/Firekeeper Saga series by Jane Lindskold. The books, in order, are:

Through Wolf's Eyes
Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart
The Dragon of Despair
Wolf Captured
Wolf Hunting
Wolf's Blood

Second the Firekeeper series. The books get a little weak later on but the first couple are pretty good.

Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. Ton of books in that series.
An Introduction to Anne McCaffrey's Pern

Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver Yet another series. I only read the 1st of these and wasn't crazy about it and haven't bothered to read the rest yet.

The Sight, Fell, and Fire Bringer by Clement Davies The first two are a series with the 3rd being in the same universe. Anthropomorphic fantasy and I really like them although Fell was a little weak.

The Wolves of Time 1 and 2 by Williams Horwood. More straight up anthropomorphic then fantasy but I like them.

Watership Down by Richard Adams Think everybody knows that one.

Wolf and Iron by Dickson Gordon Some dude traveling around in a post apocalyptic US with a wolf as a buddy.

The Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey has heralds with connections to their Companions, which are sort of horses but not exactly, as well as the Tayledras (nomadic magi) who have bondbirds. Some of the later books also introduce firecats, which are sort of a feline equivalent to Companions but much more superior (in their opinion at any rate). There are a lot of books in the series, but most of them are pretty much stand-alone trilogies. They're a fairly easy read and not all that deep, but they're entertaining.

Some more books you might like (the first book in the series is listed):
Wolfwalker by Tara K. Harper
The Ghatti's Tale: Book One: Finders-Seekers by Gayle Greeno
Beastmaster by Andre Norton
Rider at the Gate by C. J. Cherryh
Summon the Keeper by Tara K. Harper

try michelle paver's chronicles of ancient darkness,they rock!

they go in order,from first to last

Wolf Brother
Spirit Walker
Soul Eater
Outcast
Oathbreaker
Ghost hunter

oathbreaker and ghost hunter are not released yet,they are coming this year and next,these books are set in ancient europe,VEERY ancient europe,when the land was a 100% different shape and dominated by clans and forests,the main character,torak,has a pet wolf,and torak can speak wolf language

dick king smith or micheal morpurgo,while not my fav authors,often write about,or from the view of, animals

Katherine roberts 'seven ancient wonders' books are all from different perspectives,and in the second book(although it doesnt matter which order you read them,they are all unrelated),the babylon game,the main character has a special bond with some sort of creature(a magical one)

julia goldings 'companions quartet' are directly about bonds and relationships with mythical creatures,theres this society of people who are companions,they all are a companion to a mythical creature,that seiries is good...

cant think of anything more,unless you consider a freinship with a werewolf to count..

Poppy series by Avi
Redwall Series by Brian Jacques

Following books wouldn't be fantasy, but involve animals and men:
The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves), Series by Jean Craighead George

While it may not be your typical fantasy, Orwell's Animal Farm fits your criteria and certainly is a good read.

Back