• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

annoying!

funes said:
My biggest book related pet peeves: people who use books as coasters (may result in an immediate and total freak-out on my part), and people who keep their place by putting a book "face down" thereby cracking the spine.

That's the one, especially if it's my book that they're borrowing! I carefully retrieved my copy of "Last and First Men" from its spine-snapping position and balanced it on the edge of the table (a suitable page-keeping compromise), only for my mum to return it to its former position! I almost suffered a psychotic episode (well perhaps not quite that, but something along those lines.)

warm_enema said:
Why not put the book down and get involved? heh, just a crazy idea.

Indeed, why get involved? Books provide a much needed escape from reality. I would rather read than get involved or know what is going on around me. In school, getting involved would have meant socializing with the small-minded imbeciles who only care about clothes, makeup, guys, and whatever else an empty-headed Barbie doll's mind may contain. A few of the guys were cool to talk to, but after a while I found why they seemed at first so eager to listen. All they really cared about was drinking; all they really wanted was sex. To all of them, life is about image. The purpose of their lives is only for them to walk, talk, act, dress, and only think they are cool. In my experience, it is better to hide behind a book than risk getting hurt or risk lowering your standards by socializing with that type of lifeform. Life has a much bigger meaning and a much bigger purpose; something they are incapable of understanding. So, yes, I get upset when my perusing is interrupted by such people.

warm_enema said:
Why not put the book down and get involved? heh, just a crazy idea.

That's not really the point, is it?

I am happy to engage anybody in conversation. The point is that IF im doing something and I don't want to be disturbed that should be respected. Don't you think so? :)

If you were watcing a movie, listening to your walkman, concentrating on study, and somebody just started yapping right in the middle of what you were doing, would you not consider that rude? That's the point.

If it's a friend, then I will talk to them. If I am in the mood for a conversation, then fine. If, after saying hello, I get back to my book making it obvious that I am actually doing something then should that person not respect that?

I wouldn't walk up to a total stranger that is enaged in something like listening music or painting, or drawing, or reading or whatever, and just interrupt them. It's just plain rude. Would you turn to somebody in a movie theater and start talking to them in the middle of the movie? No, of course you wouldn't!!! It's RUDE. :)

Indeed, why get involved? Books provide a much needed escape from reality. I would rather read than get involved or know what is going on around me. In school, getting involved would have meant socializing with the small-minded imbeciles who only care about clothes, makeup, guys, and whatever else an empty-headed Barbie doll's mind may contain. A few of the guys were cool to talk to, but after a while I found why they seemed at first so eager to listen. All they really cared about was drinking; all they really wanted was sex. To all of them, life is about image. The purpose of their lives is only for them to walk, talk, act, dress, and only think they are cool. In my experience, it is better to hide behind a book than risk getting hurt or risk lowering your standards by socializing with that type of lifeform. Life has a much bigger meaning and a much bigger purpose; something they are incapable of understanding. So, yes, I get upset when my perusing is interrupted by such people.
Wow, bit rash, wouldn't you say. A bit of a generalisation? You know, just slightly, of course.

Cheers

:)

Not accepted because not neccesary.

Pet peeves? I love movies, and therefore I love to go to the cinema, and I simply cannot stand it when ...
  • ... people come in too late, and take forever to find a decent seat (probably right next/in front of me).
  • ... people actually answer their phones - I don't mind them ringing that much, but, for Pete's sake, don't answer it!
  • ... people walk out during crucial scenes - not annoying per se, but just a complete mystery to me.
  • ... the film stinks.
Cheers

I am happy to engage anybody in conversation. The point is that IF im doing something and I don't want to be disturbed that should be respected. Don't you think so?

Couldn't agree more Rabbit. But, like I said, usually if I have my nose in a book people leave me alone. If they don't, and I find their questions either rude or ignorant, I'm just as likely to give them an answer equally rude. If nothing else, it insures that they won't be bugging me again.

SillyWabbit said:
That's not really the point, is it?

I am happy to engage anybody in conversation. The point is that IF im doing something and I don't want to be disturbed that should be respected. Don't you think so? :)
You feel what you are doing is important; the other people feel what they are doing is important. You are being querulous-ninny-head, and being one doesn't solve anything; I suggest looking for a soultion to the problem. The other people aren't being ninny-heads.

If it's a friend, then I will talk to them. If I am in the mood for a conversation, then fine. If, after saying hello, I get back to my book making it obvious that I am actually doing something then should that person not respect that?
If a friend of mine did that; I would piss on them and then light them on fire.

If it is such an awful experience for you, (on the train) move to another seat.

Martin said:
  • ... people actually answer their phones - I don't mind them ringing that much, but, for Pete's sake, don't answer it!
Same here, I can usually tune out a ringing phone, but when someone's having a full blown conversation - now thats annoying!!!

• ... people come in too late, and take forever to find a decent seat (probably right next/in front of me).
I tend to arrive latish, but only during the trailers and never during the actual movie (I don't like sitting through 20 mins of rubbish :eek: )

So much to comment on...

Raraavis said:
Books provide a much needed escape from reality.
Aren't they just another form of reality? The author's reality.
I would rather read than get involved or know what is going on around me.
You must be a bore.
In school, getting involved would have meant socializing with the small-minded imbeciles who only care about clothes, makeup, guys, and whatever else an empty-headed Barbie doll's mind may contain.
I feel blessed to have such a great mind among us. Everyone, take notice of the greatness; exalt and bow down before it.
A few of the guys were cool to talk to, but after a while I found why they seemed at first so eager to listen. All they really cared about was drinking; all they really wanted was sex.
I went and read your introduction. I have a suggestion, don't contradict yourself in a single paragraph and then people might really listen to you.
To all of them, life is about image. The purpose of their lives is only for them to walk, talk, act, dress, and only think they are cool.
Please, correct me if I am wrong, but you have never been anybody but yourself and any judgements you make are based on this singular perception of the world.
In my experience, it is better to hide behind a book than risk getting hurt or risk lowering your standards by socializing with that type of lifeform.
Don't complain to us, because you are a weenie. Once again, let us bow down before your greatness.
Life has a much bigger meaning and a much bigger purpose; something they are incapable of understanding.
Please, enlighten us, oh wise one, to this much bigger purpose in the hopes that we will understand it.
So, yes, I get upset when my perusing is interrupted by such people.
And I'm sure they care what you are doing, because of your loftiness, i forgot.

Enema, I clearly stated that I was not trying to offend or attack you and was only stating my opinion, as you are doing now. It's wise to read more carefully before you decide to mock someone.

Back