• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Another reason to go vegan

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any llama or alpaca available in Europe. :mad:

Alpacas are valued too much for their fleeces to go round slaughtering them for meat until their numbers are greatly increased. The British wool industry is completely messed up so a lot of people are making the switch to alpaca but they're not going to sell them as chops until the fleece prices drop.

Yep. Kangaroo, springbok, yak, and wild boar, too. Bison, kudu, and wildebeest are on the horizon. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any llama or alpaca available in Europe. :mad:

I really would like to try any and all types of meat that I can. I think it is going to be one of my New Year resolutions to do this.

Wrong. Dairy products are natural but they are pure products. In other words we chose the bacteria to go in otherwise it would be a big green lump of poisonous mold and stuff. And technically we're nature as well.

Dairy products are in no way natural!

Put down the bong and slowly back away from the keyboard.

How do you figure dairy products are not natural?

The milk I buy from the store contains: milk. All natural.

The cheese I buy from the store contains: milk and rennet. All natural.

The kefir I buy from the store contains: milk and kefir grains. All natural.

The yogurt I buy from the store contains milk and bacteria and sometimes fruit. All natural.

Dairy products are in no way natural!

Hang on – so what your mother (possibly) fed you as an infant was not "natural"?

So many ways to reply to that and only one won't get me banned.

Now you know what Oscar Wilde said about temptation: "the only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it".
devil5.gif

...eating diary products is entirely natural.

Come on. Nobody said anything about dairy products or questioned their authenticity. Sybarite was wrong, however, as it's more natural to write entries in your diary products rather than eat them.

Come on. Nobody said anything about dairy products or questioned their authenticity. Sybarite was wrong, however, as it's more natural to write entries in your diary products rather than eat them.

Bravo Stewart, ever the astute peace-keeper! :p

Can't watch it from work but, based on the domain name, I would suggest that the source is hardly unbiased and that, if the footage is bad, they're using the worst they could find.

But I love meat. Yum!

The possibility that they are unbiased does not necessarily mean that the animals are not treated cruelly.

Being a devoted heretic myself I do not follow any restrictions or hold any believes in my life. But I simply dislike meat. I actually can never forget the scenes when my parents were standing nearby me when I was eating, and said "YOU MUST FINISH THAT MEAT". I hated meat all through my life and when one day my father brought some meat from a hunt, I though that I hate my family. And I needed to eat that deer.

Now I am a grown-up, and I can afford myself not to eat meat! And look at me: I did not die from "de-proteining", or luck of vitamins, or all those scary things that my parents predicted!

Well, as I said I am a heretic, so after about three years of not eating meet I did so and it was tasty. But here again I do not have any passion for it any longer...

I believe that everything should have a measure. We should not be cruel to animals. Our lives does not really worth more than that deer's that I ate as a kid.

So it is good that people are THINKING. That they are REALIZING where their meat is coming from.

In times of my grand-grand ma (whom I was lucky to still know as a kid), they had their own cattle and their own pigs and geese and hen. They actually liked their animals. Animals liked them back. At those times people knew WHOM they were eating - which one of their hens: the one with dark feathers or the one that had chicks last spring? Which cow: the one with the white spot on its nose or the one called Milky? They had more respect towards their meat. They were sad killing it, and they had feelings.

Today we eat anonymous cows, pigs, hen. That's what terrible with us - and not the fact itself that we are carnivorous.

Oops.
laugh.gif

Anyway, I've just this afternoon made some paté, with organic chicken livers from a farmer that I know quite well. It'll be excellent stuff and it's been made with excellent produce, produced ethically.

Interestingly (if as a slight aside), I was reading an article at the weekend that suggested that, if you're going to farm animals for food, then (apart from the usual issues of ethical husbandry) it behoves you morally to eat all the available meat and make use of all of the animal, including those cuts that some people seem to deride – particularly offal.

Oops.
laugh.gif

Anyway, I've just this afternoon made some paté, with organic chicken livers from a farmer that I know quite well. It'll be excellent stuff and it's been made with excellent produce, produced ethically.

I am always looking for interesting liver paté recipes - would you care to share yours?

Back