• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any photographers here?

Are you interested in a Monthly BAR Photo Challenge?

• Total voters
^^The pictures are very nice.I love masks and the ones you've captures are beautiful.
I also liked the one of your parents holding the photo album.Hope to see the rest later on.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Libra! =)

If you like masks...check out my brother's art blog:
Don Michael Jr - Artist - Mask Paintings - Acrylic - Masks

He's been painting with masks as a central element for a long time now. That's part of why I shot all those mask pictures. I pass them on to him. Sometimes he uses them. =)

-David

I will browse through them tonight.

We made a Dr.Parnassus mask,like the one Heath Ledger wore,for halloween.Out of plaster.

I think my pics used to be better before I started trying to learn about photography...
Maybe we should create a weekly or monthly challenge, or something to motivate slackers like moi to go out and take pictures (and use their cameras before they become obsolete).

I think my pics used to be better before I started trying to learn about photography...
Maybe we should create a weekly or monthly challenge, or something to motivate slackers like moi to go out and take pictures (and use their cameras before they become obsolete).

I got my first "real" camera in 2005 (a Nikon d70s with a 28-200mm walkabout lens). I then proceeded to go just about everywhere with it. I shot 10's of thousands of pictures in 2005 alone, slightly less in 2006. By the end of 2005, I was almost as good as my wife--who had never really tried to get better at all. :) I started out on full auto, just trying to get a grip on composition. Then I started taking control of more and more aspects of the camera: aperture (!), shutter speed, ISO, etc.

There's no substitute for taking pictures to get better at taking pictures. Which means I'm probably getting rusty already. I haven't shot anything since before Xmas.

-David

The book s´Stewart recommends is amazing. You would get a lot out of it.

:whistling:

I would be down with a monthly challenge at BAR.

Yes.

I only want to know who is interested. Disinterested people can go find another poll to vote in or make a thread complaining about the lack of choice. ;)

Is this challenge okay for digital cameras or film only? Either way I'm game - I have a few roles of undeveloped film that I might actually get motivated to develop and have a few roles of never opened BW 135 Agfa and Kodak dated 2000, plus two roles of 125. Who knows, they might be usable.

Very nice pictures DavidRM.

Looking for some guidance. I have a winter project taking pictures of some small stuff. I built a light box for about $8 and started taking pictures & trying to improve. First go with a camera in many years.

The big thing for me has been lighting. They don't speak 5500k at Home Depot.

I'm trying to take pictures of black objects and can't seem to illuminate them properly. I'm using 3 x Philips 23w=100w 1600 lumen, says daylight but doesn't state kelvin (but it looks correct) mini fluorescents. And the flash on my small sony digital.

Still not enough light to expose detail.

Thinking of adding a cheap pvc light bar and 3 clamp-on work lights. Am I correct to think you can't have enough right light or am I missing something?
tia

Is this challenge okay for digital cameras or film only? Either way I'm game - I have a few roles of undeveloped film that I might actually get motivated to develop and have a few roles of never opened BW 135 Agfa and Kodak dated 2000, plus two roles of 125. Who knows, they might be usable.

Either. Digital is easier but if someone wants to do film, they are more than welcome to.

I propose a theme announced at the beginning oft he month and the participants have until the end of the month to post pics. And we comment and critique.

Very nice pictures DavidRM.

...I'm trying to take pictures of black objects and can't seem to illuminate them properly. I'm using 3 x Philips 23w=100w 1600 lumen, says daylight but doesn't state kelvin (but it looks correct) mini fluorescents. And the flash on my small sony digital.

Still not enough light to expose detail.

Thinking of adding a cheap pvc light bar and 3 clamp-on work lights. Am I correct to think you can't have enough right light or am I missing something?
tia

Thanks. =)

Taking a picture of a black object in a white background, you're almost certainly going to need to force an overexposure. Most camera meters will see all that white in the background and choose an exposure that is a stop or two smaller than you want. So it's probably not your light. It's probably the camera's built-in meter. Trying setting exposure compensation to +1 or +2 stops and see what happens.

Hope that helps.

-David

The lens looks nice.
Post some pictures you took with the lens.
Maybe someone can give pointers, if needed.

I would buy it, if I was richer.

Back