• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anyone ever read two books at once?

JimMorrison

i am in the middle of reading two books and its kinda cool. its actually not hard and neither of the books interfere with the other.

has anyone else ever done this?

I have, but I enjoy reading one book at a time. I feel I can focus all of my attention on one book and get more out of it than reading two at a time. If the books are similar, I start getting confused. Not good. :eek: :D

All the time. Especially over the last 8 months or so, when for whatever reason settling down to concentrate has been a bit of challenge. I start a book, then get bored, start another, feel bad about not reading the other book, go back to it etc. Or I start something that's not challenging as such, but just deserves to be read slowly so I can digest the various parts - so I'll read a bit of that, and then something lighter at the same time. And then there's the pile of books that, whilst not academic as such, are more related to my degree, so I tend to read them alongside something more fun.

2 books at once is child's play, sometimes I have as many as 5 going. And that doesn't count what I'm reading to my kids at night!

The only time it gets tricky is when I'm starting 2 brand-new Fantasy books at once, then I have a hard time remembering names of characters and places, etc.

I'll read several books at once... eg - one at home, one in my bag for when I'm travelling, one I'm reading during lunch at the library but can't borrow b/c I owe the library money (library fines) and then I'll see a book a desperately want to read and start reading that...

I used to read one book at a time, and even now I sometimes pick one up and put it down only when I'm finished. But usually I have three or four going -- something funny, something educational, something movie-related, etc.

It seems like most of my books have bookmarks in them. I think I'm reading almost all of them at once.

Different books for different moods, seasons, times of day. It's nice to have a supply to dip into as needed.

Then there are the big volumes and the portable ones. Some I have ongoing at home, and others I have waiting for me to grab as I go out the door.

And, of course, I keep getting more. So I might stop reading everthing and spend a couple hours reading a new novel straight through. Then it's back to the rest.

7 books, beat that =P

i used to always think that it'd be hard to keep the books straight. im actually reading about 7 b/c i keep finding/starting to read other books. =P its not hard to keep the stories "straight" at all

I often read more than one book at a time. I can have up to 4 different books I'm reading for work and then the ones I'm reading for myself.

I usually have atleast two personal books going, and sometimes at least one read-aloud for the kids-not counting the shorter picture books. Last week, I started a book with the kids, then it went missing for a few nights. It turned up the other day, near where the 21 yr old stashes her stuff..then it was left in our bathroom, where my dh picked it up and now HE'S reading it..so last night, my 12 year old ds asked me to start yet another book..so now I have 2 going for me, and 2 for the kids..lol I figure things could be much worse :D

I do sometimes read two books at once, but I never read two novels at the same time. If I'm reading a novel, I might read a philosophical work or a poetry collection. Never two novels at once.

I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't read more than one book at once. There's all the stuff I read for University (studying English brings with it a buttload of Literature) some of which I'll finish quickly if I happen to like it or drag my way through if I don't.

For university I am currently reading:
Joseph Andrews again to actually read it and not just scowl and grumble.
Robinson Crusoe, because it's been many years since I last read it.
Jennifer Jenkins - World Englishes (non-fiction)
Britain Yesterday and Today (non-fiction)
Essentials of Mastering English (non-fiction)

for leisure I'm reading:
*points to profile*Rutherfurd's Dublin
Stephen Lawhead's Taliesin
Dostoyevsky's The Brother's Karamazov
Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring (I am always somewhere in that trilogy)

I usually have one book I'm focused on, and other books half read either because they have been semi-abandoned (I don't like to admit to quitting on a book!) or because they are reference or for some other purpose.
Right now I have my main book, soon to be replaced with another, one lighter read I started when I was studying for exams to chill out with, and a couple of reference books on forensics and cryptography which I don't usually sit and read for hours on end, just peruse.

I used to read at least 3 books at a time when I was younger, but now I never read more than one book. I just find that I enjoy a book more if I focus my energy totally on that book, rather than spreading myself thin over several. That being said, I do listen to an audio book when I go to the gym which is different to the book that I am currently reading.. does that count?

Yep, Monkeycatcher, I think that counts. :)

I usually focus on one book at a time. Sometimes I'll read more than one but that's almost always because I've hit a snag or a dry spot in the one I started and then got distracted by something more juicy. Or, if something comes out that I've been anticipating for a long time (I put aside Polgara the Sorceress when Harry Potter 6 came out).

hm i'm actually not sure how many books i'm reading right now. i just paused reading all of the other ones and i'll probably begin from the beginning when i go back to them. except The Fountainhead, maybe, though.. now i read in school so i obviously stick to one book till i finish it and carry around another one after that

i usually read several books at a time. it depends on my mood and where i am. i have several at home, another in my bag and another in my desk at work for breaktime. i like it this way and it's not a problem for me keeping track of the storylines. sometimes, the bvooks are all have read before and am jusy enjoying again

Back