• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

anyone in to asian films?

kasuta said:
This weekend I watched Gozu--very very strange film.

Despite it being a pile of shit, I still found there to be something intriguing about Gozu - the finale was good though.

lenny nero said:
Good God, the fishhook scene. I almost had to look away! It makes me cringe just thinking about it!
I'm usually not very sensitive to video violence but this kind of scenes still affect me.

There's a similar scene in The Piano Player (La Pianiste) by Mikael haneke, based on a book by the latest Nobel prize winner in literature, Elfriede Jelinek.

If anybody's interested the Hanzo the Razor 70's samurai series is out on dvd now. They're the craziest samurai movies I've ever seen!

I was searching for Battle Royale on Amazon and it came up with Suicide Club (or Suicide Circle). Has anyone seen it? Heard anything about it? details

I'll just post it here too...

For anyone interested, MTV Europe (or maybe just parts of Europe?) has launched MTV Asian Screen. Every Friday night at 22:00 they show an Asian movie (reruns on Saturday night at 00:00).

The list is as follows:
  • 8 April - Ju-On: The Grudge
  • 15 April - Ju-On: The Grudge 2
  • 22 April - Deadly Outlaw Rekka
  • 29 April - Battle Royale 2
  • 6 May - Musa The Warrior
  • 13 May - Shiri
  • 20 May - Volcano High
  • 27 May - Drunken Master 3
  • 3 June - Natural City
  • 10 June - Tube
  • 17 June - Sword in the Moon

After that there apparently will be a summer break, but they should be back with new movies in August or something.

I love my Japanese films, I've seen Ringu 1, 2 and 0, Battle Royale 1 and 2, Ju-on 1, All About Lily Chou-Chou and a few others (not including all the anime I watch :p). Film Four shows some good Japanese movies, but my mum cancelled the subscription. My boyfriend loves martial arts movies, the worse the acting the better! I went to see Hero with him a while ago.

I was searching for Battle Royale on Amazon and it came up with Suicide Club (or Suicide Circle). Has anyone seen it? Heard anything about it?
It's got some good moments but overall I didn't dig it too much. Still worth a look though.

In agreement with bobbyburns on the Kurosawa flicks! Beautifully done! I read somewhere that that`s how real swordfighting was- just a stroke or two, and one guy was lying on the ground. The choreographed fights, as in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, are beautifully done too, in a far different vein.
One hundred and eighty degrees FROM Kurosawa- has anyone mentioned the Bruce Lee flicks yet? I know that they were all pretty cheesy low budget movies, but Bruce Lee was just damn fascinating to watch in them! Jackie Chan`s fun to watch in his comedies, but Bruce Lee had that element of seriousness behind his lightheartedness! :cool:

Watched House of Flying Daggers the other nite. Thought is was better than Hero, which looked great but left me a bit cold. I love Zhang Yimou's use of primary colors in his films.

it was fascinating to watch him fight. I know he had a reputation of being unbeatable for a while. he even extended an open invitation on set for anyone to fight him. he was lightning-fast, and he had that devastating one inch punch. he could pretty much destroy anyone who challenged him on the street. but then you heard him talk, and he was this kind of silly chinese guy who didn't take himself too seriously. if he were alive today, he'd be an awesome comedy actor. he would have stolen the role of pai mai in kill bill vol. 2.

froggerz40 said:
One hundred and eighty degrees FROM Kurosawa- has anyone mentioned the Bruce Lee flicks yet? I know that they were all pretty cheesy low budget movies, but Bruce Lee was just damn fascinating to watch in them! Jackie Chan`s fun to watch in his comedies, but Bruce Lee had that element of seriousness behind his lightheartedness!

Hey, bobbyburns! I guess you've seen the documentary(ies...) There was one I liked that mentioned the guy who maintained/repaired/replaced Bruce's training equipment. Seems Bruce Lee had a way of tearing things up, including puncturing the "heavy" bags! :eek:
I also think he would've been a really cool director/actor. Damn shame about his son, too...

Just watched Teruo Ishii's Shogun's Joy of Torture. Crazy movie, for fans of films like Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS only.

those ilsa films are pretty bad. I mean, they're gruesome and all, but they're not the big exploitation psyche-out everyone says they are. at the end of ilsa, the wicked warden, where all the prisoners are cannibalizing ilsa, it is so full of stock nature footage, I expected marlin perkins to step out at any moment.

lenny nero said:
Just watched Teruo Ishii's Shogun's Joy of Torture. Crazy movie, for fans of films like Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS only.

You're exactly right, the Ilsa films do contain a campy aspect to them. Some of the other nazisploitation films, however, don't, e.g., Gestapo's Last Orgy. That one's pretty heinous.

Back