• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

anyone in to asian films?

incidentally, I saw an article highlighting the dvd release of kagemusha in entertainment weekly. it seems kurosawa has finally become a part of pop culture.

I like Japanese comedies, like Tampopo and The Funeral. I like that their jokes are about culture and are often within the cinematic frame of reference.

I saw it in an earlier post:

Raise the Red Lantern

I've looked and looked, but you just cant find this movie in canada. Nobody can seem to find it or bring it in for me. It was so good. i watched it on Showcase one night when i couldn't sleep and was utterly enthrawled. beautiful movie.

Stewart said:
It has been hit and miss, I suppose. Of course, we only get the ones that could possibly sell. Gozu is an exception, I believe. It went straight to video in Japan but found acclaim in Europe despite it being a pile of nonsense with its fair share of funny and disturbing moments.

The Triad/Yakuza films can be good at times. I've been meaning to watch Infernal Affairs 2 for a while now. Maybe over the weekend.

You might like Last Life in the Universe. It has elements of Yakuza.

--I've seen all Jackie Chan movies,then Zhang Ziyi,I just love her from Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon.
and by the way, Michelle Yeoh got the lead role for the movie version of Memoirs Of Geisha. (i'm not sure If i got the right spelling)

What's everyone think of Oldboy? I thought it was great and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Chan Wook-Park's films. I'm already dreading the inevitable Hollywood remake. :(

«FickleMinded» said:
Michelle Yeoh got the lead role for the movie version of Memoirs Of Geisha. (i'm not sure If i got the right spelling)
I'm hoping it's not true, but I've got a feeling that she'll probably screw it up. I have a hard time imagining her as a pretty Japanese. Just like it was a stretch for me to imagine Chow Yun Fatt as a Thai king! :D

ds

lenny nero said:
What's everyone think of Oldboy? I thought it was great and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Chan Wook-Park's films. I'm already dreading the inevitable Hollywood remake. :(

It was very slick. I could see where it was going after a while. Still got a bit of sick pleasure when it was revealed - big smile crossed my face. The scene where he eats the live squid is exceptional - the way it wraps its tentacles around his hand as he tears it to bits with his teeth. I'm surprised it passed the British censor due to cruelty to animals guff.

I'm not really knowledgable about asian movies but i have seen pretty much all of kurosawas movies. They are great.

In addition to others mentioned here D.A.N.G.A.N runner is a good movie.

direstraits said:
I'm hoping it's not true, but I've got a feeling that she'll probably screw it up. I have a hard time imagining her as a pretty Japanese. Just like it was a stretch for me to imagine Chow Yun Fatt as a Thai king! :D

ds
--too bad,they start filming already,release will be on December this year. and here's the cast;
Cast: Ziyi Zhang (Sayuri), Ken Watanabe (The Chairman), Gong Li (Geisha Hatsumomo), Michelle Yeoh (Mameha), Yuki Kudo (Pumpkin), Koji Yakusho (Nobu), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (The Baron), Karl Yune (Koichi), Tsai Chin (Auntie), Zoe Weizenbaum (Young Pumpkin), Suzuka Ohgo (Chiyo), Paul Adelstein (Lt. Hutchins)

-- I'm wrong,it was Ziyi Zhang who got the lead role.

«FickleMinded» said:
--too bad,they start filming already,release will be on December this year. and here's the cast;
Cast: Ziyi Zhang (Sayuri), Ken Watanabe (The Chairman), Gong Li (Geisha Hatsumomo), Michelle Yeoh (Mameha), Yuki Kudo (Pumpkin), Koji Yakusho (Nobu), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (The Baron), Karl Yune (Koichi), Tsai Chin (Auntie), Zoe Weizenbaum (Young Pumpkin), Suzuka Ohgo (Chiyo), Paul Adelstein (Lt. Hutchins)

-- I'm wrong,it was Ziyi Zhang who got the lead role.
Classic direstraits. :eek: I'll clear it up:
FickleMinded, I already know about Michelle Yeoh's role in Geisha. I kinda follow her closely - I'm a fan, plus she's a countrywoman. She's not exactly known for her emotional range, and her character doesn't do a flying spin kick. She may mess up a potentially good movie. But I'm hoping I'm wrong/I'm hoping it's not true, and really hope she kicks ass (ouch).

bobbyburns said:
I still can't picture it.
Totally with you there. I thought Lawrence Fishburne did a fantastic job and really jacked into the character (ouch).

ds

I watch a lot of asian films. This weekend I watched Gozu--very very strange film--and New Police Story with Jackie Chan. I thought it was a great movie, very dramatic. Plus Jackie didn't play the role of a bumbling goofball like he usually does. It was more drama, less action and I didn't think that would appeal to me but it did.

apparently he turned down the role of morpheus in the matrix. I still can't picture it.
It was Jet Li that the Wachowskis wanted for that role. Then they tried to get him again for the role of Seraph and he turned them down again. Michael Mann wanted Gong Li for the Amy Brenneman role in Heat but she turned it down.

direstraits said:
Classic direstraits. :eek: I'll clear it up:
FickleMinded, I already know about Michelle Yeoh's role in Geisha. I kinda follow her closely - I'm a fan, plus she's a countrywoman. She's not exactly known for her emotional range, and her character doesn't do a flying spin kick. She may mess up a potentially good movie. But I'm hoping I'm wrong/I'm hoping it's not true, and really hope she kicks ass (ouch).
--I stand corrected,sorry for the misinterpretation. ;)

obviously, chow yun-fat wasn't the only actor the wachowskis considered casting for that part.

lenny nero said:
It was Jet Li that the Wachowskis wanted for that role. Then they tried to get him again for the role of Seraph and he turned them down again.

Excluding Anime and Kurosawa I recommend these South Korean movies:

"The Isle" (Seom) and "Bad Guy" (Nabbeun namja) by Ki-duk Kim.
Both deals with prostitution, misery and love to the fullest.

"Joint Security Area" (Gongdong gyeongbi guyeok JSA) by Chan-wook Park.
Takes place at the border between Nort and South Korea and deals with the issue of the separation without throwing too much shit at one side.

Back