• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are you a member of any book club(s)?

I used to be in the SFBC but not anymore. I just prefer paperbacks instead of the hardcovers you get with the book clubs.

I find it tempting from time to time, but I had a bad run in with a CD club awhile ago. They are bloodsuckers who try to swindle whoever they can with the fine print. I do belong to a local "club" that meets and discusses books at the library at the end of the month. We are having a guest speaker from a nearby college and the old ladies make the world's greatest cookies-the best club I've been in yet.:)

I would never want to be part of one, to be honest. If the list of books topping Reading Group polls are anything to go by I'd be listening to people talking about tripe.

I've started a book group at my local library and I have to say so far my experience is more like Stewart's worst case scenario. Not that the other ladies are not wonderful, but their reading tastes are very different from mine, and this month they chose to have us read something that was discussed by someone else at the last meeting-something we wouldn't have read otherwise..Ok, now I've been challenged to read the first Mitford book by Jan Karon:p There's a reason I've resisted so far! Somehow I doubt any of those ladies will read Lolita:rolleyes:

I think the original poster was talking about the kind of book club where you join, buying four or five books at a ridiculously low price, i.e. 1p each, and then you are obligated to purchase further books as part of your commitment, which are of a limited range, poor quality and charged at double the usual retail prices. They also periodically send you out trashy novels just for the hell of it. ;)

I join them, leave at the earliest opportunity, join again later, and so on...

As for real reading groups, I am considering going along to Bristol Waterstone's next meeting, just to see what they're all about. I vaguely remember happening upon one once a few years ago, but it was run by a librarian who was also a fellow student of mine, and they were discussing Ulysses on that occasion.

My best experience with a book-a-month club was Zooba. While I was locked into paying for one book per month no matter what, their selection was good enough to keep me happy for a long time. Also, I could quit after three months. The best part was the low cost. No matter what, each book was $9.99, including postage. But my husband did not like having an monthly credit card payment, so I got out of it and shop online more carefully. Since I usually don't need a brand new copy, I can often to much better than zooba.

I think technically I'm in a book club with a group of friends in my area, except we never meet and read whatever we want. It's lovely.

I have been a member of the Quality Paperback Book Club off and on. Within the past couple years I haven't liked their offerings; they used to have a better selection, especially of non-fiction.

There is a reading group that meets at the public library, but from the advertisments of their book each month, I just don't think I'd enjoy it.

The Barnes and Noble I frequent has a book discussion group, a few actually, and I keep saying I want to join one of them. The only problem is I'm so consumed in my current reads and my TBR and keeping up with all you guys that I just don't see how to fit it in.

If only there were fewer books in the world...;)

I have been a member of many book clubs but I now just buy nearly all my books in Tesco, although harder to find/specific ones I get from book shops

If suppose BookCrossing could be considered a club. Sometimes I meetup with other BC members and chat up on different titles or discuss books of a certain theme chosen that month.

I started a bookclub here in my area and it's such fun!

We had our first official meeting last night and for that we read White Teeth by Zadie Smith.

We shall read Never Let Me Go for the next one.

Can't wait!

Book club where you have to buy selections, no way. Book group where we get together once a month for lunch, have discussed so many wonderful titles, and solve all the world's problems, well of course. What's not to like? I invited myself into this group about 6 years ago and they are good friends now.

I just joined a local book club through my church. We read Tuesdays with Morrie last month and we're reading Screwtape Letters for this month. It was so fun, even though we only had 4 people show up. But I got so excited I came home and called my sister to see if she wanted to do a book club with me this summer. Then my husband suggested we do it in blog form... thus the birth of Book 'n' a Mug. We haven't really started yet with the club part, but ya'll are welcome to come check us out. We'll probably start the middle of May when she's done with school.

Hope to see ya there!

I've been invited to be one of the founding members of a bookclub with someone I've never met. That person's an English major, so I'd think I'll be spared from giving critical analysis of Harry Potter. Given that I've a major commitment in my little one, I doubt I'll really be able to participate.

Come to think of it, the book clubs here are very literary - they don't read fluff as much, but the more acclaimed ones. They do introduce lots of stuff by local authors, which is a great way of gaining some visibility... jostling on the bookshelves in stores with overseas heavyweights do seem like a daunting task otherwise.

ds

Back