• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are you afraid of terrorists striking where you live?

K-Dawn, when I was in grade school we all used to have drills where we would "duck and cover". Our teachers made us crawl beneath our desks and fold our arms over our heads. This was supposed to protect us from nuclear bomb blasts.

Take what your teachers tell you with a grain of salt. Also, try to grow up to be one of those people who demand and work for a peaceful world for their own children to grow up in.

Crickey, that's the first age-oriented post I've read on this site. I'm surprised at you Still!

Chill out and let intelligence reign.

Once again I need clarification, novella. I really am here to learn, so go ahead let me have it with both barrels.

In what way was my post inappropriate?

:eek:

It wasn't inappropriate at all, just sort of pedantic. K-Dawn is a very thoughtful poster who obviouslyl does think about things considerably. I don't think you would have posted such a post to someone 30 or 40 years old, and yet you did to K-Dawn because of her age. There's nothing wrong with the content or the sentiment, but it's just the kind of difference my 14 year old would balk at. That's all.

Ah. Thank you, novella. Sorry, K-Dawn. I 'm going to plead ignorance -- as a newcomer?

Pedantic is not a thing I wish to be.

:eek:

That's okay. Thanks, Novella.

I could tell that my teacher was joking. If he wasn't, I would've found out at the assembly. Oh, it looks like I forgot to tell you that when we have to go to the gym, it's for an assembly. Sorry.

When they had two houses blown out in Moscow several years ago - I had a friend living in a building next to one of the exploded. And I had known some people who were killed in the explosion.

It is impossible for a citizen to effectively withstand a terrorist attack. Of course, one could start checking all the cars left unattended nearby, all the basements he can find about, all the people of unusual nationality - but it is all pure bullshit (sorry, I had not read this thread save for the first posting yet, so if somebody had offered to check cars, basements etc., I want to stress that I do not want to insult anybody).

My personal opinion is that a citizen is much better off if he/she just lives his/her personal life, not trying to control what could not be controlled, nor worrying over it. These who try to control & worry cannot do anything about their life but to make it worse.

novella said:
Do you think it's likely that wherever in the world you live will be hit by a terror attack, whether by ETA, IRA, Al-Quaeda, Hamas, or Timothy McVeigh clones?

Have you ever done anything to prepare for such an event?

Today there's a huge three-state preparation exercise around where I live to test responses, which was announced many times so that people don't panic. Just wondering what the situation and frame of mind is near you . . .
Hmm, I don't really think much of it happening around to be honest. I would not be prepared, no. I would think my mind would just go blank. :confused:

Sergo said:
My personal opinion is that a citizen is much better off if he/she just lives his/her personal life, not trying to control what could not be controlled, nor worrying over it. These who try to control & worry cannot do anything about their life but to make it worse.
I'll run the risk of generalising here. On the whole, and even at the height of the IRA bombing campaign, this tended to be the British & Irish appraoch to things.

Kenny Shovel said:
I'll run the risk of generalising here. On the whole, and even at the height of the IRA bombing campaign, this tended to be the British & Irish appraoch to things.

That was certainly my impression when I lived over there in the 80s and an attitude that I agree with. On the other hand, there was MUCH more awareness (than in the US) of things like unattended packages in public places and security around important buildings and airports. And IMO the professionalism of the average cop or soldier on the street or in the airport in London is very high.

I definately agree that we tend to be far more aware of suspect packages etc over here - I grew up in the 80's fairly close to Heathrow so it was normal for us to be aware of any suspect packages lying around, especially on public transport.

I'm more afraid of getting killed by an American garden-variety criminal, or a car accident, than I am of terrorists.

novella said:
That was certainly my impression when I lived over there in the 80s and an attitude that I agree with. On the other hand, there was MUCH more awareness (than in the US) of things like unattended packages in public places and security around important buildings and airports. And IMO the professionalism of the average cop or soldier on the street or in the airport in London is very high.

When we had the last blast in our underground, which had killed and maimed many people, the bomb is thought to have been a handheld one - the person just got into the train with some bag in hand, and set it off. I cannot imagine how that could have been prevented without use of some sophisticated equipment and thorough checking of many people.

And, really, a person wanting to get even with somebody has more chances to succeed than those who are after him: there are SO MANY POSSIBILITIES to get a terrorist act done, that it is absolutely impossible to predict and prevent each one.

Be careful what you write!

The posts on terrorism has led to an interesting debate, and I've enjoyed all of the postings here.

I thought that all of you may be intrigued by something that happened a month ago at my stepdaughters Junior High.

Basically the school was evacuated and "sniffer" dogs were brought in after the words "I've dropped a bomb" were found written on a stall door in a boys restroom.

I think that the kids were writing about a different kind of bomb!;)

mwcsoccerdoc said:
I thought that all of you may be intrigued by something that happened a month ago at my stepdaughters Junior High.

Basically the school was evacuated and "sniffer" dogs were brought in after the words "I've dropped a bomb" were found written on a stall door in a boys restroom.

I think that the kids were writing about a different kind of bomb!;)

"I dropped a bomb"--LOL, did the "sniffers" find it??:p :p :D Never under-estimate the gullible nature of school administrators:rolleyes:

Since I live within 20 miles of an AirForce base and three major aircraft factories, I suppose a terrorist attack IS a possiblilty. What I worry about more is a terrorist attack at my house..but those terrorists all share the same last name and look like dh or myself! Really, I find myself wondering what to do if something major should happen..not as a source of worry, but like planning a fire escape plan for my family. I do the same during tornado season..

My main worry right now is whether we'll keep Left Wingers in the city council after today's election. Terrorism? Nah, my government seems to think DK is extremely important in the war in Iraq and is thus an obvious target for terrorism - I have my doubts as to whether terrorists even know Denmark exists.

Back