• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are you offended - really????

Status
Not open for further replies.
from dictionary.com:

offend: 1. To cause displeasure, anger, resentment, or wounded feelings in

Maybe I'm wrong (surprise surprise), maybe they are one in the same?
(to be angry and/or to be offended that is....)

At any rate, I can just hope that this thread might make somebody change their course of action the next time they read something in TBF they don't like, and refrain from requesting that the thread be locked.

Or, before they post something really negative they truely examine what exactly they mean to accomplish before they hit the submit button.

I can't believe I let you suck me back into this, but I have to put something right.

No one has ever requested that we close a thread. Never. All we've received is PM's stating that this and that post in this and that thread is really rather offensive. The mods then go have a look, discuss it, and if the claim turns out to be legit, they decide whether it's locked or not.

Exit, stage left.

Cheers

come back Martin, come back...your so much fun to play with...

I'll restate myself then...

I hope this thread might help influence somebody to just stop reading a potentially offensive thread, and move elsewhere within the forum before they let themselves get upset enough to start pm-ing anyone.

And maybe if they are so upset, they look at the overall thread, and not just one post specifically to see if they are over-reacting, or truely justified in their feelings. See if there's anything good happening in the thread, and maybe just let it go instead of taking something so personally.

well, I've learned not to let a thread in any forum get me so upset that it affects my life, one time I was stewing about something for hours and realized it was a waste of my time. Now if I see something that ticks me off, I'll stop reading the thread and go do something else. I rarely get so upset that I jump into an argument.

That being said, I think there's very little that can be discussed without someone taking offense. Once people realize that, they'll chill out. I'm not saying that people should ignore something offensive to them; I'm saying that if you disagree with something, you can choose what to do about it-such as either ignoring it or post a comment saying why you disagree. That's what free will is all about.

Motokid said:
Maybe I'm wrong (surprise surprise), maybe they are one in the same?
(to be angry and/or to be offended that is....)
For me at least, it's different.

I don't really know if I can be offended - I probably can, but I don't know how yet. I believe the maxim 'never say never' holds true, and it's probably too naive to ever say I can't ever get offended. For there will be many below-the-belt remarks, it's a matter of how far below the belt your family jewels lie.

I believe mine is so far down it's probably out of sight, but then you'll never know if someone drops a stone, right?

That's for offended. My point: I probably can't be offended, but I'll never really know.

But you *can* be pissed at a person's attitude. General behaviour in the forum. This is irregardless of whether the person posted something offensive or even if the person has posted at all.

Example: I'm fully aware that while people may not be offended with me (because it's true, I'm lovable, plus I sing too!), there are people who might be pissed with me because 99% of my posts are hijack threads and people don't like internet-worm like behaviour in their beloved forums.

ds

aaah see. i do go to merriam webster martin.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

One entry found for irregardless.
Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead

How can that be?

- The prefix ir- means without: irrelevant means without relevance.

- The suffix -less means (wait for it) without; shameless means without shame.

How can both the suffix and the prefix be in one word together - wouldn't they cancel eachother out?

Cheers

Enjoy

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

irregardless

SYLLABICATION: ir·re·gard·less
PRONUNCIATION: r-gärdls
ADVERB: Nonstandard Regardless.
ETYMOLOGY: Probably blend of irrespective and regardless.
USAGE NOTE: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir– prefix and –less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/84/I0238400.html

'Nonstandard' is the dictionary's way of saying that it is technically incorrect. Similarly, "ain't" is in the dictionary as a nonstandard usage, as is the Bushian pronunciation of nuclear, i.e., nu-cu-ler.

'Irregardless' is obviously a word, but it is technically an incorrect usage. Just because something is in the dictionary doesn't mean it is accepted as correct usage.

Looked up irregardless the other day for the fun of it. Odd that you guys are now talking about it. Type in "irregardless" "definition" at google. One the first entry, before the definition is even given, the first thing it says is "Do not use." Very appropriate.

oh that's a word. ex: i cannot believe the noninappropriatelessness of the direction of this thread, i am highly offended. irregardless i will continue to post here.

novella said:
Do you have a gourmet Canuck recipe for Spam? Something involving cabbages would be nice.

oh yes a lovely one with shallots and white wine. fry spam, add sliced shallots and sliced cabbage. drink wine.

oh wait are implying that i am spamming this site? i am highly offended by that. irregardless, i will endeavor to persevere!!!!

since this thread lately has become a sort of excuse, just want to express this though

the same way that i dont care if motokid's house burns down, and than that doesnt mean i think it would be ok to set it on fire, the fact of not being offended doesnt mean that everyone should have green light to do whatever they want

(and i said motokid, cause he started the thread, nothing else)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back