• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

are you worried about a pandemic?

Miss Shelf

I've been hearing a lot of talk about preparation for a bird-flu pandemic, which is expected to be like the 1918 pandemic. I'm not worried yet, but the more I hear the more I wonder if all the talk is just butt-covering in case it happens or if it's a very real possibility. What do you think?

Dr Dean Edell has been trying to get our attention for almost a year now. It also appears now that the 'Spanish' flu that killed about five million people back in 1918 was a form of avian flu that "evolved" or mutated.

:rolleyes:

Miss Shelf said:
I've been hearing a lot of talk about preparation for a bird-flu pandemic, which is expected to be like the 1918 pandemic. I'm not worried yet, but the more I hear the more I wonder if all the talk is just butt-covering in case it happens or if it's a very real possibility. What do you think?
If you're not worried yet, you sound like you're getting ready to start. Personally, I've finished waiting, and I'm officially worried.

I have my maternal grandmother's Bible, which contains births and deaths of both her family and my grandfather's. In his list, there were at least 4 deaths due to this flu epedemic, with two youngsters dying within 2 days..so I think I'll be after a flu shot..and one for everybody else in the family too. I may not bother with the dog and cats:p

Miss Shelf said:
well, would the flu shot they give every year be enough to fight a bird-flu?

That would be a good question to ask the nurses from the health van when they come around. My insurance will cover it anyway, so the cost isn't a problem.

Miss Shelf said:

I'm not exactly Dr. Bombay, but isn't there different vaccines for different strains of it?

Miss Shelf said:

Each year the vaccine that is on offer is specific to the strain that was the most troublesome during the past year, so the answer to your question is "no".

You may now be wondering if there will be enough avian-flu-specific vaccine available for all of us humans if this particular strain gets away from the ducks anytime soon, and that is the million dollar question.

I am tempted at this point to make some statements that could earn me at least one warning, so I will get out my handy-dandy roll of duct tape (remember when the president told us all to run right out and buy us some of them there rolls of duct tape?) and put it to good use.

(Surgical masks and sanitizing hand gel will probably be available to us, anyway.)

:-#

Yes there are different vaccines for different strains but the avian flu has jumped species so a new vaccine must be developed.

I am not too frightened about it really. Maybe as time goes on. I only get worried when I hear about people I come into contact with decide to travel there.

It's something to think about, that the 1918 flu spread from people whose primary means of long-distance transport was by boat, which took at least a week, compare that with modern travel which could spread it in a matter of hours. Reminds me of that Dustin Hoffman/Rene Russo movie, "Virus" (was that the title?)

People have too much of a 'it won't happen to me' idea that they should have grown out of along with diapers. It's irresponsible.

Don't get me going on failure to innoculate children.

Miss Shelf said:

absolute, total butt-covering.

Yes i do worry about flu!

Not so much about myself getting it!

But more my parents!

Dad has a flu vaccine every yr but mum wont have one and we say she should!

In England certain groups of people are offered it!
As in the elderly and certain people at risk!
This vaccine is free and people should have it!

Miss Shelf said:
It's something to think about, that the 1918 flu spread from people whose primary means of long-distance transport was by boat, which took at least a week, compare that with modern travel which could spread it in a matter of hours. Reminds me of that Dustin Hoffman/Rene Russo movie, "Virus" (was that the title?)
As I remember, the title was Outbreak.

Okay, first off, there's the regular old flu, which we talk about and get vaccines for all the time. This flu doesn't often kill people these days, but when it does, it is usually the elderly, the very young, or those with compromised immune systems.
But now there is the threat of the bird-flu that has jumped species and is very dangerous. The scary thing about this bird-flu, is that it is similer to the flu of 1918, and that flu killed many young, otherwise healthy, people. In 1918, people would have the sniffles one day and be dead the next. There is an antiviral drug for it, but it has only been manufactured in small amounts and the concern is that it will take too long to make enough.
I wouldn't say I am worried, but I am concerned and attentive to the situation.

Back