• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok this was a question asked in a job interview for a prestigious company.

" a man is lying dead on the road facing upwards with his arms spread. he has a nameplate on his chest and a sack on his back. tell the most likely way he died"

yeah he could have had a heart attack or been clobbered to death by an insane antelope from the planet Jelekron for all you know but tell the most likely way he died and obviously connect the data

this is just a brainteaser for anyone

I'm back.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Fluffy Bunny:

A person under your care is under ECG monitoring (EKG in the States). There's noone else around. The ECG suddenly shows ventricular tachycardia. What is the first thing you should do?

Call a doctor.

What is wrong with being a 'geek'?

Nothing.

Knowze Gungk:

No, it's not the nail.

I give up. Enlighten me.

RaVeN:

Where did ice cream originate?

Ice cream probably originated in China close to 4,000 years ago. It first appeared in Italy in the 17th Century and in the early 18th century in the US.

Or.

Legend has it that the Roman emperor, Nero, discovered ice cream. Runners brought snow from the mountains to make the first ice cream. In 1846, Nancy Johnson invented the hand-cranked ice cream churn and ice cream surged in popularity. Then, in 1904, ice cream cones were invented at the St. Louis World Exposition. An ice cream vendor ran out of dishes and improvised by rolling up some waffles to make cones.

Where did lighthouses originate?

The first stone lighthouse was lit by only 24 candles...

The first documented lighthouse was the Lighthouse of Alexandria, built in 200 BC on the island of Pharos by the Egyptian Emperor Ptolemy. Considered as one of the Seven Wonders of the World, it is thought to have been 150 metres (492 ft) high - about three times taller than modern lighthouses.

Romans emperors built many lighthouses to assist their navigators. In 90 AD, Emperor Caligula ordered a light house at Dover, England. It is the oldest lighthouse in England and still stands in the Dover Castle grounds. The world's tallest brick lighthouse, the Lanterna at Genoa, was built in 1543. It still stands proud at 75m (246 ft) tall.

The world's first stone lighthouse was the Smeaton Eddystone, built just south of Plymouth, England in 1756 by John Smeaton, the "Father of Civil Engineering." It was lit with only 24 candles.

Today, lighthouse lights are the equivalent of 20 million candles, lit by high pressure xenon lamps.

Who invented tooth paste?

Doctor Washington Sheffield invented tooth paste in 1850, and in 1876 he, together with his son Lewis, became the first person who used a prototype of modern tubes as packaging for tooth paste. Since that time Sheffield Laboratory has been one of the leading companies in developing and producing oral hygiene products.

Igkuk:

Aww, I was hoping for:
What is your favorite colour?
Blu- no, yell-argh!!!!!!!!!!

I was going with the Launcelot - point of view, and not the Galahad - point of view.

piedro:

A man is lying dead on the road facing upwards with his arms spread. He has a nameplate on his chest and a sack on his back. Tell the most likely way he died.

Hit by a car.

Kaz:

Who invented the Hot Dog?

Two New Yorkers take credit for putting the sausage in a bun: Charles Feltman, of Feltman's in Coney Island and Harry Mosely Stevens, who was the director of catering at the New York City Polo Grounds. Solid cases have been built for each man; neither patented the concept. In either case, hot dogs were part of the New York zeitgeist by 1900.

Why is it named a 'Hot Dog'?

The journey of the hot dog from a simple sausage to a staple of the American diet began in 1852 Germany, when the Frankfurt butchers' guild created a long, thin sausage and named it "frankfurter" in honor of their town. Shortly after that, someone noticed that the new sausage looked like a dachshund and started calling it a "dachshund sausage," after the long, thin dog. The name stuck and soon people were calling the frankfurter a dachshund sausage.

In 1906, Harry Mosley Stevens, who operated the New York Giant's ice cream and soda concession, decided to add the dachshund sausage to his menu. Stevens realized that in New York's cold spring afternoons the last thing anyone wanted was cold ice cream and that the dachshund sausage, which would stay warm in its skin and warmer still in a roll, was just the thing for his customers.

Stevens had his vendors hawk the sausage, instructing them to sell it by yelling, "They're red hot. Get your dachshund sausages while they're red hot."

While attending a game, Ted Dorgan, a leading cartoonist, saw the popularity of Stevens's new food idea and decided to lampoon it in a cartoon. In the cartoon, vendors were selling real dachshund dogs in a roll, yelling "Get your hot dogs!" at each other. As a result, the name "hot dog" caught on, and--after Stevens was able to convince people that it wasn't made out of dog meat--the hot dog became a hit.

Right! That was that!

NEXT!

Cheers, Martin :D

:cool: I was greatly impressed. Martin, you are intelli---, wait. it is your own knowledge, or searching from the Google. Whatever.

My questions:

1) How you describe your looking?
2) How you describe men in United Kingdom? (Do they like Mr. Darcy *** in Pride and Prejudice?)
3) How you describe women in United Kingdom?

Cz I have no idea what they are like? My knowledge about UK is from the books and movies. :eek:

Thank you for giving me some idea.:)

watercrystal:

My looking?

Tall, clumsily built, thin, rather ugly actually.

Men and women in the United Kingdom?

I'm from holland myself, so I can't really judge about that, but I reckon they won't differ that much from you and me (you know, us normal people).

NEXT!

Good after-morning Martin, Here's your latest test.

What were the character names of the Skipper & the Professor from Gilligan's Island?

What are the most poisonous snakes & spiders? (one for each ex-wife)

What is the origin of the credit card? (the reason for the above question)

I'll leave you now to weave your magic..

RaVeN

Originally posted by igkuk7
What is the square root of -16?

Since Martin doesn't want to be given question that are 'Too Easy' ;) I'll answer that one

(plus or minus 4i)

NB for those not in the know i is the mathematical term given to imaginary numbers - the other way of saying it is the square root of -1
(knew that further maths A-level would come in handy one day)

1.How old are children in Colombia when they start their school education ? (country, not in US)

2.How does education in Colombia look like?

According to a book I have just read, and that our resident Dr Martin really likes, it is not how many angels, more like whether they are dancing cheek-to-cheek or jitterbugging.
Or words to that affect.

why does poop stink?

why am I addicted to Coldplay?

why do people tend to not find things that are usually there, when they need them the most?

why is Jude Law sooo handsome???

why do I find myself sounding "stupider" by the minute??

Wow. Many questions today, but also, quite unexpectedly, many answers. Here's my 2 pence worth:

RaVeN:

What were the character names of the Skipper & the Professor from Gilligan's Island?

Skipper: Jonas Grumby.
The Professor: Roy Hinkley.

What are the most poisonous snakes & spiders?

Snake: The Black Mamba and Taipan have very powerful venom with a mortality rate of almost 100% without antivenin. The Krait has a mortality rate of 50% with antivenin.

Black Mamba:
mambw.jpg

Taipan:
aherpshop.com.au_WildImage_Taipan.jpg

Krait:
awww.india4u.com_wildlife_images_snake1.jpg

Spider: Although fairly small, the black widow may be the most deadly spider. There are several different species which live in warm areas such as North America and Australia. Because it likes dark, shady places, the spider often goes into houses. It is therefore more likely to bite people than other poisonous spiders.

Black Widow:
it1c09f5.jpg

What is the origin of the credit card?

Credit was first used in Assyria, Babylon and Egypt 3000 years ago. The bill of exchange - the forerunner of banknotes - was established in the 14th century. Debts were settled by one-third cash and two-thirds bill of exchange. Paper money followed only in the 17th century.

The first advertisement for credit was placed in 1730 by Christopher Thornton, who offered furniture that could be paid off weekly.

From the 18th century until the early part of the 20th, tallymen sold clothes in return for small weekly payments. They were called "tallymen" because they kept a record or tally of what people had bought on a wooden stick. One side of the stick was marked with notches to represent the amount of debt and the other side was a record of payments. In the 1920s, a shopper's plate - a "buy now, pay later" system - was introduced in the USA. It could only be used in the shops which issued it.

In 1950, Diners Club and American Express launched their charge cards in the USA, the first "plastic money". In 1951, Diners Club issued the first credit card to 200 customers who could use it at 27 restaurants in New York. But it was only until the establishment of standards for the magnetic strip in 1970 that the credit card became part of the information age.

bobbyburns:

What do they put in the bug juice?

26 oz Vodka, 26 Oz Cherry Liqueur, 1 can of frozen Orange Juice. (I have no idea what an 'oz' is.)

Or.

Ensure Plus & Pedialyte & Raw egg yolk.

Beatrycze:

How old are children in Colombia when they start their school education?

How does education in Colombia look like?

Pre-higher education:

Duration of compulsory education:

Age of entry: 5

Age of exit: 15

Structure of school system:

Pre-Primary

Type of school providing this education: Educación preescolar

Length of program in years: 1

Age level from: 5 to: 6

Primary

Type of school providing this education: Educación Básica Primaria

Length of program in years: 5

Age level from: 6 to: 11

Basic Secondary

Type of school providing this education: Educación Básica Secundaria

Length of program in years: 3

Age level from: 12 to: 15

Certificate/diploma awarded: Certificado de Estudios de Bachillerato Básico

Middle Secondary

Type of school providing this education: Educación Media

Length of program in years: 2

Age level from: 15 to: 16

Certificate/diploma awarded: Bachillerato

Technical Secondary

Type of school providing this education: Educación Media Técnica

Length of program in years: 2

Age level from: 15 to: 16

Certificate/diploma awarded: Bachillerato Tecnico

SillyWabbit:

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Igkuk is right, Tom Robbins answered this question excellently:
Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek.

Stella Leanna:

Why does poop stink?

Poop stinks as a result of the products of bacterial action. Bacteria produce smelly, sulfur- or nitrogen-rich organic compounds such as indole, skatole, and mercaptans, and the inorganic gas hydrogen sulfide. These are the same compounds that give farts their odor.

Why am I addicted to Coldplay?

Because they rule.

Why do people tend to not find things that are usually there, when they need them the most?

Because people are blind to the obvious.

Why is Jude Law sooo handsome?

Because he's my twin brother.

Jude law:
Jude-Law-2.jpg

Me:
JudeL2.jpg

Why do I find myself sounding "stupider" by the minute?

I don't know, you tell me!

Phew!

NEXT!

Why do people tend to not find things that are usually there, when they need them the most?

Because the Boggarts steal them - ask the room nicely for them back, leave and then return after five minutes and you should find the thing immediately.

(The sad thing is, you probably all think im joking :( )

Phil

Thanks to your efforts Martin I'm quickly becoming the most knowledgeable of the household (stupid cat!)
This evening's tasks include:

What causes a sneeze?

What is the average length of a dream?

What is the origin of tape?

Thanks, I cant wait to dazzle my cat with these.

RaVeN

What was the name of a viking, who found and took care of a little Thorgal Aegrisson?

Okay, here we go again.

RaVeN:

What causes a sneeze?

The act of sneezing forces air rapidly out the nose, tending to clear out anything which is irritating the lining of the nasal passages (nasal mucosa). The nerves that detect the irritating substance or particles are branches of the trigeminal nerve (Cranial Nerve number 5). They send messages to the brain that something is irritating the lining of the nose and an automatic "reflex" circuit in the brain hooks up the message to an outgoing pathway that starts the sneeze. The sneeze actually involves dozens of muscles in the face, chest and abdomen, all operating in the correct sequence. The program for this sequence is probably hardwired in the brain and spinal cord which is probably why it is so difficult to suppress a sneeze once the irritation messages have been sent into the brain to start the process. As with other reflexes (knee-jerk, eyeblink) it is just possible to suppress a sneeze (pressing hard, up and back, on base of the nose, where it joins the upper lip works for some people).

What is the average length of a dream?

I believe you dream an average of five times per night (eight hours).

What is the origin of tape?

What kind of tape?

Idun:

What was the name of a viking, who found and took care of a little Thorgal Aegrisson?

I honestly do not know. I don't speak (and read) Polish.

bobbyburns:

Why do I love taffy so much, Martin

Because it's soooooooo good!

Hmmm, not too satisfied with this one! I hope I'll do better next time.

NEXT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back