• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Banned

What? An exploding sort of mine? Like a landmine? What'd he need that for? Stand on it and blow himself to teeny tiny bits of human flesh, bones, and fragments of brain?

I was thinking about a Dutchman's Mine (the lost kind) but your mine sounds more interesting.

Hallo Barry,

By the way, have you got any trauma wiht flemish people? Because Dan Brown isn't a flemish citizen yet.:lol:
I did my own stadistic about the flemish people and they are so charming, above all, some people from Anvers.;)

Certainly not Cosimah2o , no trauma there, the flemish and the dutch just like to tease each other , I guess like lots of other neighbors (scots and english , americans from the south and the north , the list is endless ) You should be able to think of a spanish example , of course its all based on a silly kind of national predjudice , but not the dangerous kind . Our best standup comedians are popular in Belgium and theirs in Holland . So I am not surprised you liked the people , so do we .

Oh oke, Ik begrijp het. ;) I have a question, Do you understand the flemish dialect? I have a friend from Maastrich he told me that the dutch language (nederlands) is not similar at some flemish dialects although he can talk in dutch with flemish people of some districts from Antwerp.
(( Dit is Waarheid? ))

I lived in Maastricht for two years, I can't understand the Flemish dialect but the Flemish people can usually speak Dutch (with an accent). Some refuse to do so though, I don't know why.

There really are no belgians , you are either flemish (dutch speaking) or walonian (french speaking) and there is a lot of (political) friction between those ,,belgians,,As far as understanding the flemish , I often watch their television because the programs often are better than our own TV. Most spellingbees organised by the dutch , are won by flemish spellers . Even in holland there are regions where people speak completely uncomprehensible dialects (even a different language frisian)So the answer is a bit complicated , I dont understand every dutchman or every flemish speaker , but all of them are supposed to speak dutch .Thats the truth Cosimah2o (dat is de waarheid):lol:!

There really are no belgians
A colleague of mine claims that the entire BeNeLux region is just a hoax to get EU grants. His proof:
- They don't have a language of their own. This "Dutch" thing is clearly just a made-up mixture of German, Danish and English.
- Large parts of the region are supposedly below sea level. Uh-huh. Riiiiight.
- Whenever you see a Dutch car abroad, it's invariably dragging a camping trailer. Why would they do that? Obviously, because they have no real home to return to.

I'm pretty sure he's not 100% serious with this theory. ;)

A colleague of mine claims that the entire BeNeLux region is just a hoax to get EU grants. His proof:
- They don't have a language of their own. This "Dutch" thing is clearly just a made-up mixture of German, Danish and English.
- Large parts of the region are supposedly below sea level. Uh-huh. Riiiiight.
- Whenever you see a Dutch car abroad, it's invariably dragging a camping trailer. Why would they do that? Obviously, because they have no real home to return to.;)
Yes, but PLEASE lets keep this quiet ! Your collegue forgot to mention that this alien race of amfibians-the dutch- also willy nilly kill of their elders and their unborn ( info based on the expertise of Dr.Phil)and spend most of their time clog dancing , stoned out of their skull visiting tulip fields and windmills .Think this about covers it .:D

It seems a little linguistic chaos :banghead6mx: But dank U for yours answers. (( Dat es de waarheid!:whistling: ))

Then If I am learning Dutch and someday I get to talk dutch ( with my strange accent), the Flemish people would they be able to understand me?
Or just any Member of the European Parliament?:lol:

Cosimah2o: It seems a little linguistic chaos .
Not really , the language you are learning is the civilized , generally accepted Dutch , taught in both flemish and dutch schools . Of course this doesnt guarantee you will be understood . Probably similar linguistic problems can be found in Spain? The Catalans speak a different language and I imagine there are regional dialects as well .:)

Back