• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

best concert

tartan_skirt said:
I haven't been to any concerts yet (not counting local bandnights) but I am going to see System of a Down this June! :D

Me, too. They're playing at this year's Hurricane Festival. I'm looking forward to see Leslie Feist perform there.

In the next days I will also order tickets for Tori Amos! :)

So far I haven't been to many concerts, because I usually have to drive to Hamburg, which is three hours from here.

Jenn said:
who is it? or is that the name, "the best band our little country has"?
Well, it's a Dutch band, who also sing in Dutch, so chances are you won't know them - but since you asked, they're called Bløf (a word most of you won't even be able to pronounce).

Krys said:
I'm curious too. I went to a Bettie Serveert Concert in February. Their show was great.
How funny that you, all the way over there, have been to their show. I haven't seen 'em, though.

Cheers

Martin said:
Well, it's a Dutch band, who also sing in Dutch, so chances are you won't know them - but since you asked, they're called Bløf (a word most of you won't even be able to pronounce).

It looks like it would be pronounced "bloff", but obviously the little line through the O means that it isn't pronounced like that at all. Go on then, tell us how it is pronounced, what it means, and what you call an O that looks like that (I have an enquiring mind).

How to pronounce it: I'm not good with phonetics, and I can't think of an English word with that particular sound (the ø) in it. I'll get back to you.

What does it mean: Absolutely nothing.

What do you call an ø: Don't know either, because that, as a letter, is not part of the Dutch alphabet. We never ever use it. Maybe Hay can inform us on the name of this particular character.

I hope that helped. :rolleyes:

Cheers

novella said:
Okay, I am totally showing my old age here, but the best concert I ever went to was The Grateful Dead in August 1979. My friend and I hitched out to Red Rocks, Colorado, and saw the Dead at the outdoor amphitheater carved into stone. Talk about stone . . . well, never mind. Anyway, I saw all these people I knew there who I never expected to see, we had front bench as we were there like a week early and camped out. I levitated, I swear. Jerry was in best form then. Twas wicked.

Other good shows:
Hot Tuna in ’77;
Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park, what was it, 1980? with about a zillion people I knew;
Ramones at CBGBs, which was really just a show not a concert, but one for the annals;
Patti Smith at CBGBs, another kickin show; and
Miles Davis on the West Side piers in NYC, must’ve been about ’83, and
Doc Cheatham’s 80th Birthday at Sweet Basil in about 87, when every jazz musician in NY showed up unannounced and jammed all day and night at what was supposed to be a two hour show;
Joe Jackson at the Peppermint Lounge about ’82,
Johnny Cash in some joint on Long Island, and
every year I invite a gang up to go to a great bluegrass festival on a farm near my house where I’ve seen Doc Watson, Jorma, Ralph Stanley, Dave Grisman, and the late great Bill Monroe.

I generally hate big arena concerts. I much prefer outdoor shows and nightclubs. I've seen great people in big arenas, but it takes something away.

My sis and I had a business in high school making silk-screened T-shirts of performers and selling them outside Madison Square Garden before the shows. Best one ever was the Saturate Before Using shirt for Jackson Browne. My sister is an awesome artist and did the mylar screens herself.
JEALOUS. I AM FREAKIN JEALOUS. What an awesome lineup. You like a lot of the same artists I like. Maybe I was born at the wrong time. How did you end up at all those great performances?

Note about Grisman: He's cheap. My friend waited his table in NO, and for 15 people at a really nice restaurant, Grisman left a $10 tip.

Favorite Performances:
Medeski, Martin, & Wood @ The New Daisy, Memphis, TN. I was still on pain medication for a back surgery, so I had to sit in the balcony the whole time, but man, they were great. The show was funked out.

Del McCoury @ Bonnaroo 2004. Wow. If you've never gone to a traditional bluegrass show, I suggest you go. Del's voice is amazing, and everybody in the band is amazing. Del's son Robbie plays the banjo, and he broke a string. He changed the string in time with the music, and was back in tune playing before the end of the song, which was John Henry.

Phish in Atlanta. Amazing. I had two beers; that was it. It was still freakin great. They gave us a You Enjoy Myself, and closed it on a Tweezer Reprise.

Yonder Mountain String Band @ Zydeco's in Birmingham, AL. The place was packed.

I like smaller venues too. Smaller venues give a better sound, and there's an intimacy that you can't get at a big venue.

bobby, I had to choose between MMW and the Flaming Lips at Bonnaro '04. That was a terrible decision for anyone to have to go through, but MMW are my boys. They took every musical idea I thought I had, made it better, and recorded it before I had a chance.

I love the flaming lips, but they aren't my favorite band. they put on the most interesting performance I've ever seen, though. they did this kind of thing where they had all these people in animal costumes onstage, and they were all tossing this giant beach ball back and forth. it was like twenty feet in diameter.

My fave concerts are:

Nine Inch Nails on the Fragility tour in 2000

Metallica on the Damaged Justice tour in 1989.

Cowboy Junkies on the Waltz Across America tour in 2000

RitalinKid said:
JEALOUS. I AM FREAKIN JEALOUS. What an awesome lineup. You like a lot of the same artists I like. Maybe I was born at the wrong time. How did you end up at all those great performances?

Note about Grisman: He's cheap. My friend waited his table in NO, and for 15 people at a really nice restaurant, Grisman left a $10 tip.

Favorite Performances:
Medeski, Martin, & Wood @ The New Daisy, Memphis, TN. I was still on pain medication for a back surgery, so I had to sit in the balcony the whole time, but man, they were great. The show was funked out.

Del McCoury @ Bonnaroo 2004. Wow. If you've never gone to a traditional bluegrass show, I suggest you go. Del's voice is amazing, and everybody in the band is amazing. Del's son Robbie plays the banjo, and he broke a string. He changed the string in time with the music, and was back in tune playing before the end of the song, which was John Henry.

Phish in Atlanta. Amazing. I had two beers; that was it. It was still freakin great. They gave us a You Enjoy Myself, and closed it on a Tweezer Reprise.

Yonder Mountain String Band @ Zydeco's in Birmingham, AL. The place was packed.

I like smaller venues too. Smaller venues give a better sound, and there's an intimacy that you can't get at a big venue.

bobby, I had to choose between MMW and the Flaming Lips at Bonnaro '04. That was a terrible decision for anyone to have to go through, but MMW are my boys. They took every musical idea I thought I had, made it better, and recorded it before I had a chance.

I had to quote your whole post becausel, well, lots to say. Grisman was not a generous man, compared to like Jerry Douglas (dobro) or even mandonlin master Sam Bush andl, I have to say even Jorma, who have been around and played with everybody and know the difference.. Grisman was all about himself, when personally I thought that was completely not cool.

I've been to many great blue grass/new grass shows -- one of the best is down my road -- I did see Del McCoury there, but I tend to shy away from the "polished country" thing and like a little bit more of the Crazy Horse chords every now and then.

JEALOUS!!!!! I read the first three posts and some of my dream concerts are there!

Best concert: Too hard to decide. I paid a fortune and got 5th row tickets to Harry Connick Jr a few years ago, which was awesome. But honestly I think my $12 tickets to a Whitlams concert about 5 years ago easily matched it. There was a raw energy to that show that was indescribable. I've also been to see Great Big Sea a couple of times and gone home with sore ears, sore feet and totally buzzed! (although I do wish we didn't have designated seats because it made dancing incredibly difficult!)

Dream concerts:
1. Paul Simon/Simon and Garfunkel - absolutely my #1 dream concert. I love, love, love all the music.

2. Robbie Williams - Bit of a contrast to #1, eh? He came to Melbourne, and I could find *no one* to go with me even if I paid for their ticket. So I didn't go - lifetime regret!! Brilliant live voice and incredible energy.

3. U2, Harry again, Whitlams again, Missy Higgins... and that's just off the top of my head.

bobbyburns said:
I love the flaming lips, but they aren't my favorite band. they put on the most interesting performance I've ever seen, though. they did this kind of thing where they had all these people in animal costumes onstage, and they were all tossing this giant beach ball back and forth. it was like twenty feet in diameter.
They had a video playing in the background at Bonnaroo, and it sometimes switched from a pre-produced video to a camera on the singer's mic. The singer used a nun puppet on one of the songs, which looked really freaky on the screen.

Okay I'm about to put up a post that will probably shock you all. And that is, that in my twenty four years I have never ever been to a concert. Sad I know. It's not because I never wanted to go to any, I just never got round to it. Either to busy or no money at the time etc. If I was to go to one though I think I would like to see Bon Jovi. As well as having a great voice he's also gorgeous. (Even though my mother fancies him also!)

Let's see, the ones that I've been most positively excited by both during and after them:

Nomeansno a couple of times; very powerful, and one of the few active rock bands that I've been able to enjoy for as long as ten years.

Wayne Shorter a couple of years ago (honestly didn't know what to expect, as I feared he'd have long-since pretty much lost it, but it was a wonderful time)

Melt-Banana were pretty amazing when I saw them in 2002, though they'd by then gotten in a sort of poppy direction that I don't much care for. The guitarist was just mindblowing for me to watch, as I've not had much chance to see others of these post-Voivod grind-guitarist like the Discordance Axis guy.

I don't go to many concerts though, even missed out on a lot of bands I'd liked to have seen, as I've not been willing to spend all the dough it'd take me to get myself to Oslo - where most interesting concerts nearby happen - and back. I'd definitely like to investigate the Norwegian free jazz scene more, and see bands like Scorch Trio live.

Worst concert, barring local bands: probably In Flames in 1999 or 2000. What a lousy band. Though Freak Kitchen deserves a mention as well. The guitarist is fancypanted and all, but my god what tedious music, and his stoned rambling didn't help at all.

Kookamoor said:
I've also been to see Great Big Sea a couple of times and gone home with sore ears, sore feet and totally buzzed! (although I do wish we didn't have designated seats because it made dancing incredibly difficult!)

gbs are good live. very boisterous and fun, makes everyone feel they are from nfld.
spirit of the west ( who i don't think tour anymore) are a similar band, with a great live performance. their big big hit, take me home, is awesome live.

"you'll have to excuse me i'm not at my best, i've been gone for a week, i've been drunk since i left, and this so called vacation will soon be my death, i'm so sick from the drink i need home for a rest, take me home...."

Did Warren play at Bonnaroo? I would have loved to see that show.

Novella,
Old and in the Way - wow! I don't know what kind of guy Grisman is, but I've been wearing out my copy of Shady Grove. Jerry's voice is, to my ear, perfectly suited to those old-time tunes.
If you haven't heard them, you might want to check out a band called Uncle Tupelo (now defunct). They remind me a lot of Neil & Crazy Horse mixed with Townes Van Zandt and REM. Their Anthology disc is a good place to start, and their all-acoustic disc.

I'll add, too, that the one historic concert I would have liked to been at - The Last Waltz.

Out of the two concerts I've been to, my favourite band, Slint, easily takes first prize. I saw them at the Forum, in London, on the 2nd of March, this year. They completely blew my face off. Out of their entire library (of admittedly only two LPs and one EP) they played everything except for two songs. I've read somewhere that they very rarely played live when they were young Slinters, back in the very-late 80s, very-early 90s, so I was very lucky to have seen them on their Reuninion 'Tour' last month.

The band that I'd love to go and see is Tortoise. They're actually playing next month, down in London again, but I couldn't buy any tickets because you need a Switch Card (and mine's a Solo one) and my mum decided not to let me use hers, because, 'I only went to London a few weeks ago'. I think she's determined to keep me as unhappy as possible. Tortoise should play again, though. They made their most recent album last year, and hopefully they'll make some more, so they should play somewhere in England maybe later this year, or some time next year.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot. Novella, you saw The Grateful Dead?! I'm just getting into them! I love Box of Rain. Which of their albums would you recommend?

Cheers

P.S. (On behalf of Halo): Øystein, how do you pronounce your 'Ø'?

funes said:
I'll add, too, that the one historic concert I would have liked to been at - The Last Waltz.

Yeah, me too. That has the best version of Helpless ever, and the best Mannish Boy and Coyote too. The movie has a Spinal Tappish taint to it now, but the recordings are fresh.

I always think of that show as a Canadian anomaly--those particular people and those particular songs being what they are. The leisure-suit factor is substantial, but most of the music is awesome. It makes all those "big star" benefits like Bob Geldorf's series of abortions look like the commercial publicity events they are.

Nosferatu Man said:
Oh yeah! I almost forgot. Novella, you saw The Grateful Dead?! I'm just getting into them! I love Box of Rain. Which of their albums would you recommend?

Cheers

Have to confess I saw the Dead quite a lot in the 70s and early 80s. (sheepish) What can I say? I abhor the cultishness of their "followers" but those live shows back then were seriously fun. :)

Well, if you like Box of Rain, you'll probably like Workingman's Dead and American Beauty a lot. My personal picks are The Grateful Dead by The Grateful Dead (original versions of Cold Rain and Snow, New New Minglewood Blues, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, and Beat it on down the Line on that). I also dig Europe '72 and Steal Your Face big time, both doube live albums with many good tunes. They are for driving with the windows open and partying outside. The Old and In the Way albums are essential for Jerry fans, even though he's the only Dead member on them.

Albums I would not recommend are Terrapin Station (aka Terrible Station) and Wake of the Flood, though some people like them. Aoxamoxoa is okay for space cheese and Bear's Choice has a strange innocence about it that I do like sometimes. I don't like their later stuff much at all. Everything from Shakedown Street onwards has this unappealing funk line that sounds to me like a poor excuse for music.

I'm a Jerry person, as opposed to a Bob Weir fan, so I'm way into the classic Jerry guitar tunes like Stella Blue, with Jerry vocals.

Oh, and do catch the original Grateful Dead Movie (from the 70s, not the later crap one). I used to catch a midnight showing of that in high school whenever there was nothing else to do. The theater smelled like Marrakesh. :rolleyes:

Cheers for the informative stuff, dude.

Yeah, I'm listening to American Beauty (courtesy of downloaded mp3s, unfortunately), at the moment, and I think I'll splash out on the CD soon. I also love Candyman from that album. On Amazon, American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are right at the top of the list - sorted by 'Bestselling' - so I'll probably buy the both. I haven't decided yet whether I'll take the plunge and buy those other albums you mentioned, or download them first to test the water.

I don't know any of those names you mentioned, though: Jerry; Bob Weir. In fact, Bob Weir's name rings a bell, but I don't really know who everyone is. Who sings on Box of Rain? I love that guy's voice. Is that Jerry? I'll have to do some serious research. Wikipedia, here I come.

Back