• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best place to read

Enya

I’ve recently read an article written by a professor who said that he knows a place( in Switzerland I think ) where there is a “bench for reading.” From it, you can see a big lake in a wonderful landscape. The professor defined reading as “ a lay form of prayer” for which you need peace and maybe a special place so that the magical world of books or the fictional world in them could open up their gates for you. I liked his ideas and I’d like to ask you if you think you need a special place to read.
As far as I’m concerned I like reading in my cosy armchair by the window, on cloudy or rainy days, I don’t know why but that grey light of a cloudy sky gets me in the mood for reading. Of course I can also read in other weather conditions,:) and in summer I like lying in the grass with a good book, in the shade of a big old tree. But I CAN’T read in a bus/tube/on my way to work/in the car as a lot of people do.
What about you? What’s the best place to read for you?

Best place for me is lying down on our couch with coffee nearby. I just love my weekends.

I like reading standing up in the kitchen.. that way I can still be hyper (by rocking) and still do a soothing laid back thing like reading.

I haven't found it yet. It's a void that bothers me. I can picture it. It's much as Enya describes. A small cabin. A lake. Woods. Snow even. No one else but me, cold beer and a pile of books. At this point I'd settle for some privacy and quiet.

Edit: Forget the location, I'd be happy to find a bloody chair I can sit and read in comforatbly for a while.

I'm just content reading anywhere that I can. With 2 young kids (9 and 3) running around, any place that's quiet is a great place for me to read!!!!!!!!!!!

The Perfect reading place for me is wherever my book is..I prefer the recliner in the living room, with either a cup of coffee or glass of iced tea. Since that's where the tv is, the kids tend to gather there and want to pop in a movie as soon as I settle in to read, so I go to my room and read propped up in bed, or outside on the porch if the weather is nice. The problem with the porch is the dog or the cats usually find me, and thats the end of my peaceful reading session. Daisy the sweet but stupid mutt thinks I should pet her and the cats like to jump up and sit on my book..The bathtub is a good place too..no pets and fewer kids!

I would love to have a great landscape in front of me while I am reading, or just being on a mountain, or a plain... but I read in my bed instead! :D

Well this last June we purchased a cabin at a lake where my inlaws also own one. We spent every weekend we could out there and it is sooo nice to have the patio furniture out and set up and to sit out there at my table with a cup of coffee in the morning before anyone else wakes up:D We have a nice view of the lake from our cabin also! It is a A frame so even to sit inside, in the recliner and to be able to see the lake and watch the water fun is nice while reading. But being out there and reading has to be my favorite. We went out for the week of Thanksgiving and it is not quite as enjoyable when it is cold.:p But I am anxiously awaiting spring again.
I'm just content reading anywhere that I can. With 2 young kids (9 and 3) running around, any place that's quiet is a great place for me to read!!!!!!!!!!!

I will agree with this! The bathtub is a good one too!:)

Unfortunately I only get to read in my commute time these days: Bus or train.

I use to love to take a reading weekend. Get junk food, and juice, lock myself in my room, prop pillows up agianst the window and lie down under a comfy blanket and read trough at least a book a day.

Very Zen.

I spent a holiday stuck in a cabin with a lovely wood fireplace, and I read Great Expectations-Dickens, wich was lovely.

The best is reading with my girlfriend, anyplace quiet. We are both avid readers, and this is the best type of quaility time there is.

I actually don't like reading outside, I always get distracted by a nice view. I would keep on looking up to see the countryside, and ignore my book.

Hugin said:
Unfortunately I only get to read in my commute time these days: Bus or train.

That's the one thing I miss about catching the train to work. I used to be able to get a good 2 hours reading every day, with pretty much no interruptions. Ahhh, I miss it! :(

My reading place...
Hum...
That's on the way to my office or back, staying in a corner of a metro car.
This is about the only way I can read I use for last twelve years or so.
A cosy chair or a sunny meadow is great, but somehow I am too busy doing something useful whenever these things are around...

there's a cozy little corner of my bed that is completely made up with various pillows i have made.... i don't sleep in this corner... it's my reading knook. i love to lounge amongst those pillows with a good book and my stereo blasting in the background.... sometimes in summer, i sit on the couch swing in my backyard while readings.... my house is near the interstate (walking distance) and as long as an 18-wheeler doesn't honk, the traffic sounds like a waterfall... it's soo serene and peaceful... easy to get lost with or without a book...

The quitest spot I can find and if it is nice I like to read out side... but has to be quite....SSSSSSHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... ty:D

Back