• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best Science Fiction Films

Peder said:
If one wants to go way way back, then Dr. Cyclops, which scared the living bejeezus out of me when I was a kid. :eek:
Peder
Mine was The Crawling Eye with Forrest Tucker. :rolleyes:

The biggies have mostly all been mentioned above. Here are some off-beat SF flicks, mostly forgotten, but none-the-less worthwhile:

This Island Earth

Enemy Mine

Robinson Crusoe on Mars

The Forbin Project

Brazil has gotten mentioned quite a lot as well, along with Blade Runner. As long as people go ahead and place votes for them, I think they'll both place on the list.

In no particular order:

Contact
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Alien
Matrix
Terminator 2
Back to the Futire (though it's more of a comedy)
Empire Strikes Back (though there's no 'science' to the fiction)
Star Trek 2 - Wrath of Kahn
The Thing (hey the opening has a spaceship)
12 Monkeys
---
KristoCat said:
Serenity (actually, the Firefly TV series was better)

Agreed - good attempt, but it just seemed too rushed :rolleyes:

Libre said:
Enemy Mine
Decent film, but I'd already seen the original which did it better (Hell in the Pacific)

Violanthe said:
First of its kind, in what way, specifically?
This is difficult for me to narrow down, as I really am not a true-for want of a better word-follower of Science Fiction films. However for me it was the first sci-fi film that portrayed a grittiness, sort of realistic, surreal experience.
That portrayed the future as lots less pleasant than the present.

If that makes any kind of sense. :rolleyes:

No, it makes a lot of sense. I found it to be much more artistic than most science fiction. More natural as well - much more how real life looks like rather than the sanitary scifi we so often see.

Mine easy are...
  1. Serenity
  2. The Matrix
  3. Matrix Reloaded
  4. Matrix Revolutions
  5. Star Was Empire Strikes Back
  6. Star Wars Return of the Jedi
  7. Star Wars A New Hope
  8. Alien
  9. Aliens
  10. ID4

I would definitely agree with Serenity. It's gotten a few votes so far, but I'm not sure if it has enough to get into the Top 10.

I know I'm making a nasty habit of not properly reading threads before I post, but has anyone mentioned 2001: A Space Odyssey?

top 10

in no particular order:
- the matrix series
- star wars episodes III, IV, V, VI
- blade runner
- underworld, underworld evolution
- gattaca
- A.I.
- jurassic park
- planet of the apes (the original)
- time machine (the original)
- aeon flux (I think there are other versions of this or an animated show or something, but I mean the one with charlize theron)

someone mentioned 'wings of desire' aka 'der himmel ueber berlin' and if it counts as a scifi movie, it's on my list too.

for me at least, the appeal of science fiction is the humanity of the characters involved (although 'humanity' isn't always the right word) and how they deal with the unusual events that take place in their world. in that vein, battlestar gallactica is my favorite tv show because I can relate to the characters, even the cylon ones. after reading all these posts, however, I'm gonna have to see 'firefly'.

...I hope this message counts for something, even though I'm writing it about a month after the original post...:eek:

i'd vote for Dune (David Lynch version), Blade Runner and Dark City... and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.. (if only for the animation)

I've been giving it some thought, and I want to suggest the ONE GREATEST sci fi movie of all time. Not the best MOVIE, but the best sci fi movie.
This movie has an incredibly compelling plot, unbelievable make-up and sets, great acting, and the BEST line ever uttered on camera.
If I tell you the line, you're bound to know what movie I am referring to.
Forget the spin offs (spins off?) and sequals.
I'm talking about the original.
Here's the line:

"Get yer filthy hands off me, you damned dirty ape."

Mine, in no order of preference...

Blade Runner - Nuff said.
Dark City - Not many have seen this. Dark, beauitful, and surreal.
The Matrix - Keanu can't act. Great movie. Other two are pants.
Event Horizon - Dark SF horror. Delicious scary images.
Ghost in the Shell - Anime. Personally, I think it's MUCH better than Akira.
SlipStream - VERY FEW has seen this! Fantastic movie.
Hardware - EVEN FEWER people have seen this! Fantastic movie.
Dune - David Lynch is da man :cool:
Kaena the prophecy - Brilliant CGI sf. This is REAL sf. Check it out.
The Chronicles of Riddick - Fantastic. All what Star Wars SHOULD BE.

The remake of The Time Machine was pretty incredible. Far better than the hokey orig with Gene Barry.
And 28 Days Later was super too.

• The Terminator trilogy
  • The Matrix trilogy
  • The Star Wars series
  • The X-Men trilogy
  • The Star Trek NG movies
  • Planet of the Apes (1968)

A couple of people have mentioned Gattaca - I strongly second this. It's not just one of the best SF movies ever made, it's one of the best movies of any kind ever made. It's beautifully shot, it's got a well-crafted, thrillerish plot, it's full of ideas yet never forgets its characters, and it has a brilliantly moving ending. Go and watch it now!

Back