• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Better Make it Official (Part 2)

scooter13

Just like Doug Johnson, I have posted first a few times and didn't introduce myself. My apologies.

My name is Scott. I have been an avid reader since college, though most of it consists of sci-fi and fantasy. Recently in the last year I have been reading books that fall more in the general fiction area. I am also finding that I enjoy those books more. As much as I love some of the world building and ideas put forth in sci-fi, the stories and characters are lacking. Still some really good stuff out there.

I would say that as it stands now, Guy Gavriel Kay is my favorite writer. Though there are a few authors that I really have liked, but have only read one of their books.

scooter13 said:
Recently in the last year I have been reading books that fall more in the general fiction area. I am also finding that I enjoy those books more. As much as I love some of the world building and ideas put forth in sci-fi, the stories and characters are lacking. Still some really good stuff out there.

This made me think of the following passage from Ian McEwan's Saturday:

A man who attempts to ease the miseries of failing minds by repairing brains is bound to respect the material world, its limits, and what it can sustain - consciousness, no less. It isn't an article of faith with him, he knows it for a quotidian fact, the mind is what the brain, merely matter, performs. If that's worthy of awe, it also deserves curiosity; the actual, not the magical, should be the challenge. This reading list persuaded Perowne that the supernatural was the recourse of an insufficient imagination, a dereliction of duty, a childish evasion of the difficulties and wonders of the real, of the demanding re-enactment of the plausible.

'No more magic midget drummers,' he pleaded with her by post, after setting out his tirade. 'Please, no more ghosts, angels, satans or metamorphoses. When anything can happen, nothing much matters. It's all kitsch to me.'

clueless said:
Is that your dog?

Yes. When he was just short of two years old. He turned four this past July. He's a golden retriever named Molson (just as a joke, it's not my favorite beer or anything).

Welcome to the forum :) Nice dog!

SFG - there is no such thing as a golden lab! That is a real bugbear of mine :p

clueless said:
cose there is. I got one and enough marks in my hands and arms to prove it. :D
Noooooooooo
22.gif
:D You get yellow labs and golden retreivers - they are two completely separate breeds. There is no such thing as a 'golden lab'.

Back