• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Buying Freeze

Stewart said:
Or do what I did at the turn of the year. I went to a house I'll probably never go to again and borrowed two books from the shelf: A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving and Any Human Heart by William Boyd.

And, regarding the voucher, I didn't feel guilty when I obtained Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy last week via a voucher that had been bought for me.

My book embargo still stands but it's pay day on Thursday; that will be the first big test.

So you're saying we should watch you very closely when you come to visit?;) Actually, my policy is to only loan out books I won't cry over if they never return.

Stewart said:
Hey, I'll give them back. Sometime. I just doubt I'll be returning to the house.

I have a few books that ought to go an extended vacation like that! Hey, if you want,I think I can find my copy of Angels and Demons; you could keep it as long as you want;)

CDA said:
Book buying freeze?

I don't understand this thread...:eek:

It's a puzzling thing CDA, a morose and dour thread regarding something that we all know and love.;)

i always knew i was not alone in this... :D

i am a compulsive book buyer.. i tell myself that one day i won't be able to buy books, so i best stock up on a few now.. my only problem is remembering if i have a book already, if i haven't read it yet, chances are i'll forget i already have it.. i have moved recently too, so unread books are now in place with their author or series, and when i was unpacking them all, i found more that i hadn't read yet.. and a few doubles too.. :eek:

i am totally lost if there is a book sale, and if i am in an Op Shop (charity style thing) i can't help myself as they are usually so very cheap - bought 6 for a dollar one day...

i am so glad i have a generous and understanding husband.. still, he knew i was a bookworm long before we married, and he reads a lot of what i buy too.. i knew he was the one for me when he first came to visit and stood in appreciative awe looking at my bookshelves......... :D

Hmmm... the freeze i was talking about is about to thaw with a vengeance, as two major bookstores here are having their warehouse sales, *at the same time*.

I think I will have to start living on peanut butter sandwiches for a while...

And scott... you got a spare couple of hundred bucks you wanna send to your string-budget fellow bibliophile here? :)

ds

I think I will have to start living on peanut butter sandwiches for a while...

And scott... you got a spare couple of hundred bucks you wanna send to your string-budget fellow bibliophile here? :)

A PB based diet isn' so bad, especially if you are surrounded by books. I would make that trade off in a minute, though I doubt the wife and kids would.;) No, no money can be spared. Yes, I know, I'm independently wealthy due to my occupation, but I guess I'm Ebeneezer Scrooge when it comes to the almighty dollar.:p We don't have many extravagant expenses, so I can't complain as my book buying habits don't raise an eye-brow from my better half.

Then you're the lucky one. My other half has pointed out time and again I shouldn't buy so many books. Most recently I bought her the whole Tales of the Otori trilogy to keep her occupied. It worked for a time, up until the time she finished all three.

Darn.

Now with the booksale looming (gleefully rubbing hands), someone's going to have to physically restrain me.

Too greedy, we must not be, yes....

ds

direstraits said:
Now with the booksale looming (gleefully rubbing hands), someone's going to have to physically restrain me.

Too greedy, we must not be, yes....

ds

Greed is such a harsh word..(think Y2K with me for a moment)..Instead, think in terms of stocking up for a rainy day;) Too many books? No way! What if the blizzard of the century hits and you're stuck in your house with no new reading material? That would be a disaster of epic dimensions:D

If the blizzard of the century hits and I don't have enough reading material? That would be dire indeed....

But then, almost half of my all my books are unread still, or have been read so long ago that revisiting them wouldn't really be a waste of time. It had better be the bloody Titanic of blizzards if I were to read everything!!!

ds

direstraits said:
[GASP!]

Isn't that a form of.... book abuse???

But. But that's evil.

:p

ds

Abuse? No way! I meant books in shelves, lining the walls..like normal people..only with more books;)

Oh. Had me there for a while. I thought like building a igloo of something out of books and even covering myself with books (with the pages open). Shudder.

I can see how lining up the walls with rows and rows of books can help. So the outer layer of books (the ones that we will never be able to reach) will be filled with Mills and Boon and Dan Browns?

You know, when I said Book Buying *Freeze*, this isn't the freeze that I had in mind exactly...

ds

direstraits said:
Oh. Had me there for a while. I thought like building a igloo of something out of books and even covering myself with books (with the pages open). Shudder.

I can see how lining up the walls with rows and rows of books can help. So the outer layer of books (the ones that we will never be able to reach) will be filled with Mills and Boon and Dan Browns?

You know, when I said Book Buying *Freeze*, this isn't the freeze that I had in mind exactly...

ds

Actually, some volumes might serve better as woodstove fodder;) :D
Which is NOT to say I advocate book burning ...

I have always had a problem of spending whatever money I have on me when I go to Barnes and Noble. I feel an overwhelming compulsion to find something that I like and buy it. However, now that I'm saving up for a trip I'm taking later this spring, I have more self-discipline.

i thought about this thread today as i picked up 3 books for $AU12 as i wandered past the newsagency.. (chuckle)

I just keep buying books!! There are always so many new titles out, and I just want all of them! I figure that some day I will get to it, sometimes a particular title will just jump out at me, even if its 3 years after I have bought the book. Also, I figure that my children will probably want to read them some day as well. So.... I just keep on buying! Its great!!:)

Back