• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Buying Freeze

you know, reading all of you people's posts makes me feel sane. I thought that there mustve been something wrong with me, buying 8,9,10,11,12 books at a time knowing that I had hoards at home that I havent gotten around to yet. I just cant pass up a good deal on books when i see them! all of you know what I mean "Oh my god, this book, for only a few pennies???? I GOTTA have it!!!":D :D or its "I cant believe I havent read/bought this book yet!":D :D Even just browsing at books at a store makes me feel better, or even just examining a friends bookshelf.:D :D

CattiGuen said:
you know, reading all of you people's posts makes me feel sane. I thought that there mustve been something wrong with me, buying 8,9,10,11,12 books at a time knowing that I had hoards at home that I havent gotten around to yet. I just cant pass up a good deal on books when i see them! all of you know what I mean "Oh my god, this book, for only a few pennies???? I GOTTA have it!!!":D :D or its "I cant believe I havent read/bought this book yet!":D :D Even just browsing at books at a store makes me feel better, or even just examining a friends bookshelf.:D :D

Oh YOU'RE sane..but we want to know what books you take home;)

CattiGuen said:
Even just browsing at books at a store makes me feel better, or even just examining a friends bookshelf.:D :D

If I'm someone's house and they have bookcases anywhere near me I have to go examine them.

venusunfolding said:
If I'm someone's house and they have bookcases anywhere near me I have to go examine them.

Don't we all??:cool: The trick is to check out their shelves without being obvious....and the really diffucult job is to not register our dissapointment if we discover these people have no books in their homes;)

I've been going on a bit of a book-buying frenzy lately, which is strange because before then I always got books out of the library. In fact, my first ever book purchase was made after I joined this forum, so I guess I can blame you guys :D Every time I go into town I usually buy 2-3 books, so it's not out of hand, but it does mean that my TBR pile is getting rather large.

abecedarian said:
...and the really diffucult job is to not register our dissapointment if we discover these people have no books in their homes;)

It's harder if the books they do have are rubbish. :)

CDA said:
It's harder if the books they do have are rubbish. :)

Tell me about it! I have this friend who had a bookshelf in her living room. The entire contents were: an ancient Funk & Wagnalls encylopedia set, the entire Love Comes Softly series by Janette Oke, and a mass quantity of romance novels by Grace Lvingstone Hill. The only other books in her house were a few Bibles and maybe a Betty Crocker cookbook. I learned not to browse the shelves at her house..

the first time I ever went to my boyfriend's parent's house I was a little appalled to see the entire Left Behind series on their shelves.

Just tonight I stopped myself from going to Barnes and Noble knowing that I would come out of there with a handful:rolleyes:

I haven't been buying as much now I work at the library, but it's still hard to leave a book store empty handed.

HermioneWeasley said:
i can't stop myself from going where books are kept. i can't keep myself from my bookshelf!

I work at Borders. There's always something else I see that I want. It's a good thing they let us check books out, which helps keep me from buying some. But then I find myself reading something and loving it, so then I want to own it.

Now that I think about it, I've probably only finished reading half the books on my shelves. I don't really buy many books anymore (at least none that are not Japanese manga). A lot of the books I keep wanting to read seem a bit pricey to purchase so generally I will just request them through inter-library loan.

Even if I don't come out with anything, I still don't feel finished with my shopping until I have visited the book store when I go to the mall. Although Borders across the street usually makes my mouth water more.

I too have a serious book buying problem. The way I look at it is - there are way worse addictions to have - I'm not doing coke, just buying books faster than I can read them :)

direstraits said:
Would you stop buying books even after you've realized that you've just got too many that you'll probably won't finish reading them all?
That specific reason hasn't stopped me. It would take me 40 years to read the books in my to-read bookcase, and I keep buying more. The idea isn't really to read them all, however, but to have a range of books to dip into as my interests change back and forth.

Anyway, the reason I've had buying freezes is strictly financial. Last year, for example, we spent all our book money at an estate sale, and had to stop buying for several months. It was kind of liberating. It gave us some time to take stock of the books we already owned.

Mari said:
Anyway, the reason I've had buying freezes is strictly financial.
That's what's happening to me now. Watching my spending carefully now. Even then a couple of graphic novels and Kurt Vonnegut managed to sneak through my highly secured defenses. These books are sneaky.

ds

abecedarian said:
The trick is to check out their shelves without being obvious
Or do what I did at the turn of the year. I went to a house I'll probably never go to again and borrowed two books from the shelf: A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving and Any Human Heart by William Boyd.

And, regarding the voucher, I didn't feel guilty when I obtained Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy last week via a voucher that had been bought for me.

My book embargo still stands but it's pay day on Thursday; that will be the first big test.

Back