• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book chat room?

MobiusX

Anyone here who knows of a book chat room online, one that is always available like most other chat rooms? The only ones I know of are from yahoo messenger, which suck, and www.booktalk.com, which only meets on Wednesdays, when I am not available to be online.

If you sign up for a free Yahoo e-mail account/identity, then you can download Yahoo Messenger, and use their Messenger menu to join Yahoo Chat rooms. There is one room under entertainment for literature/books. I often visit there using my ID of literarydiscussions. Once in a great while, I meet some really interesting intellectual person and have a good chat in PM. Most of the people there just fool around, chatting about sex and bathroom humor.

I sent up this free IRC chat room for discussions on Brokeback Mountain, but no one really took an interest in visiting. But, if several of you here click on this link at the same time, you will fing yourselves in a very fast real time IRC chat room channel. You will be assigned a random name like Visitor_7, and all you need to do is type /nick MobiusX to change to your real name, or TBF_MobiusX, if you get some message that the name is already in use. So, if you can find a few people from here and set a date and time, you may all click on this link:

http://www.freejavachat.com/chat.php?chan=brokeback

and start chatting.

I will be happy to join, or you can just chat with me, if you cannot find anyone else.

If you really get interest in IRC chat, then you can download mIRC free shareware chat client, and do all sorts of interesting things. You may LOG the chats, and edit them, and post them, for example, if you have a monthly reading club discussion. That way many can share in the experience by reading the edited chat.

I created a brokeback mountain game for that chat room. If you type help, you get a menu of commands. You can request random questions about the story and movie.

The game is driven by an IRC event program, and only works when I am logged in with mIRC client, and have the program running.

But a group of people could go to that same ircstorm site and create their own #nabokov channel, and make their own random question game about Lolita, for example, and have regular meetings for discussion of some particular topic, and they could log the chat and edit and post it.

So many things are possible, but it is hard to find people with long attention spans and interest and focus and dedication and forebearance to make something truly worthwhile happen. Hence, yahoo chat and IRC chat are for the most part wastelands filled with idlers, spammers, hackers, and perverts.

Anyway, let me know if you really want to try some on-line chatting.

I can't stand chatrooms. I hate yahoo chatrooms most of all. I don't like not having any idea who is posting and the conversations frequently have nothing to do with what I want to discuss, and often veer into topics I'd rather not discuss with anyone but my husband or doctor:rolleyes: Either that, or somebody wants to vent their spleen about America's involvement in the Middle East or beg to marry me so they can get a green card:p

Stewart said:
Why would you want such a thing? :confused:

I started to chat seriously, for hours each day, in Yahoo, in 1998, mostly in the Religion chat rooms. I saved and edited the dialogues, and over a period of 4 years created a 450 browser page website on the topic of "Interfaith Dialogues". There were also essays there, which were written to answer questions that arose during chat.

I spent an entire year in #philosophy in IRC undernet channel, logging the chats from 20 or 30 participants who were active there 24/7. I learned a lot, and edited certain things for posting.

http://online-literature.com/forums had a monthly book club meeting in MSN messenger, and we logged and edited the chats, and then posted them at the message board.

You have to make it clear to everyone that whatever they say may be posted. But such a forewarning may encourage people to be more serious and less frivilous.

Real time chat inspires questions and dialogue which one could not come up with alone, in solitude.

Once, in IRC #philosophy, someone asked "Where is the compassion in Camus?" I expanded the question to "where is the compassion in the entire history of western philosophy." I found my answer in Plato's Republic, in the "cave analogy." One person breaks away from the chains of shadowy illusion and escapes the cave into the pure sunlight. They choose to return to the darkness of the cave, to free all the others in bondage, much like a bodhisattva who intentionally retains some faults, rejecting the liberation of Nirvana, to be born again and again into the world of suffering, vowing to help all sentient beings.

Look at it this way:

MobiusX wants some kind of help, encouragement, fellowship, call it what you like. If SFG75 and I were to join MobiusX for an hour or so per week, whether it be in MSN, or Yahoo, or AOL or ICQ or IRC (I run all of them at once, much of the time), .... we would probably have an interesting real time chat, and it would probably help MobiusX in some way. All you need is two to tango, and three makes it better. So, what is the harm? Its chat is a tool, to be used or abused. Plato and Socrates seems to do well with dialogues.

I don't have a problem with IM-ing amongst individuals at all. The topic is chatrooms, and I don't like them.

In MSN, or AOL, or ICQ, one can invite many people to the same chat, and what starts as an IM becomes a chat room. The difference between those chat clients and Yahoo, is that you have control of exactly who can join and participate. So, if you had three people at TBF, or 5, or 8, that you like, you could all meet in one of the chat clients.

At various times in my life, when I was working with certain programming languages like Foxpro, Visual Basic, PHP, then I really depended on IRC chat channels, as well as news groups, to ask questions and get answers. So that is another use for such tools, for programmers to share knowledge.

MobiusX was asking if there exist such things as reading chat rooms. One answer is that any group of two or more people can instantly create a reading chat room, if they please, using IRC, or ICQ, or AOL, or Yahoo, or MSN.

Apparently there are many people who dislike them, or you would see them forming more frequently.

One real issue is the time factor. Chatrooms, channels, and group PM are instananeous. IM at a message board, or posting to threads, has a bit of delay and is less spontaneous.

I certainly respect your inalienable right to dislike chat rooms.

One of my best friends on the Internet, Ladybug, the medical student in Iran, is someone I met in a yahoo chat room.

Remember, once upon a time, long ago, in a far-off land, a lonely prince named MobiusX, alone in a dark forest, typed:

MobiusX said:
Anyone here who knows of a book chat room online, one that is always available like most other chat rooms? The only ones I know of are from yahoo messenger, which suck, and www.booktalk.com, which only meets on Wednesdays, when I am not available to be online.

A chat room here at TBF wouldn't be so bad. Everyone knows each other to a certain extent, certainly more so than say....on yahoo. Not only that, but we'd have a good mix of serious and not so serious topics. It would be intelligent and refreshing.

*pout* Mobius doesn't love us anymore... *sniffsniff* WAH!!!!!! *runs crying to first person who reads this post* He's looking for other sites...sniff...

Back