• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Crossing - Recycling books 'into the wild'

I was introduced to Bookcrossing by a friend some time ago. I've only released one book so far - a copy of "Whatever Love Means" by David Baddiel, which I knew I was never going to read again. I left it under a Christmas tree at in the arrivals lounge at Heathrow airport when I went to pick up a friend, early in December. I figured leaving it at Heathrow it may end up somewhere interesting, but so far it hasn't been logged.

My friend has had more luck than I have - several of the books he's released have been caught.

Great concept, though.

L2

Ell's the one that pointed the site out to me, here in this thread. But I still haven't released any of my books. May have to give it a try this year.

Yay! More bookcrossers!

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before, but then I haven't logged on for a while.

I first discovered the book forum through bookcrossing. They have a link to this site on their website. I've been bookcrossing for a while now. Like a lot of the people who have posted here I didn't think I could bear to part with my books at first, but I'm getting better at that. I often buy cheap second hand books, in good condition, just to use for bookcrossing. If I like the book I get myself a copy as well.

If anyone is interested they can check out my 'bookshelf' at http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/hatter
I haven't had any books make it overseas yet, but I know a couple of people who have, and it's a real thrill when you do get a journal entry for a book.

If you're thinking about joining bookcrossing but you're struggling with the idea of leaving your books to chance 'in the wild' there are lots of bookcrossers who send each other books instead. There's a PM system a lot like the one on this site. There are also people who register books as 'personal collection' which means that they are happy to lend them to others but want them back. You can do as much or as little as you want, and you can remain completely anonymous or give other people your address for posting books if you decide you trust them.

Bookcrossing also has forums where you can chat, a bit like here. It does mean dividing your time ... but then you have twice the fun!

Hope I see some of you there.

Book Crossing

I was looking around on the site bookcrossing.com (thanks to Martin for the link) and found myself wondering how people can just abandon their books like that.
Some of the locations where they leave off books - Subway, garden, beaches!
I am so attached to my book, whenever I lend my book to someone, I set rules for them.
How can one just orphan one's book like that! Beats me!

I said on the post earlier (where Martin added the link to Book crossing) that i can replace alot of my books because I go to second ahnd bookshops but there are alot of books I own that I could never leave anywhere (for instance my Dylan Thomas poetry book given to me by my ex boyfriend and my copy of sophie's choice and books I have had for years) but I have hundreds of books that are easily replaced and sometimes its nice to pass books on.

I gave my bank manager my copy of the glass bead game by herman hesses because she increased my loan.

I have met so many people that have never heard of the authors I have read and have never read some of the most amazing books. Normally when I meet someone new I give them a book. I just think its nice to pass on the love man (joke). Seriously I know alot of people who are alot more enriched because they have been passed on great books which has made them want to read other great books.

It's sort of like that old 1970s expression "if you love something set it free."

Books are possessions, but they're also experiences. Sometimes I feel compelled to share the experience of a book with someone I know would like it. It takes the pain out of losing the book to know the person gained something else.

I get your point dolz. But, even if I buy a second-hand book, I still read it with the same passion. I touch the book, I feel it for as long as I read it.

If its a book that I didnt like, then I might think of letting it go. But, if its a book that I really enjoyed, then no way buddy!

I can understand what you mean! It's weird but I like the way they smell and feel I just like looking at them. When I win the lottery I am going to build a massive library in my house and then I'll just invite people in to read my books without having give them away!

I'm more precious about music though I could never get rid of any of my music collection

books i'll pass on

I wouldn't orphan my books unless they were books I didn't like. I like to reread books if I enjoy them, so I always keep them. But for the books I don't like that much, then passing them on to people who might enjoy them more is a good idea.

i am like novella. if a book really moved me, i am compelled to share it just to have someone to talk to about it. and i have come across those books left behind and have been grateful for it.

Yeah I don't think I could really pass my books on. I would have no prob

lending them to people, but I'd expect them back. Well, I'd WANT them back.

I just love looking at the books on my shelves and knowing that I can just

pick one up at random at dip into it. If I passed my books on I would'nt have

that pleasure!

i am like novella. if a book really moved me, i am compelled to share it just to have someone to talk to about it
First off - if you 'release' a book into the wild, chances are you'll never know who will find it, so talking about it is out of the question.

Secondly - what happened to simply recommending a book that's touched you to others?

Cheers

sanyuja said:
How can one just orphan one's book like that!

I'm a member of bookcrossing, but I have slowed down with my book releasing. I mostly used it as a way to trade books with people. There are always people willing to trade books via mail there. However, for the most part I didn't release "good books". I released mass market books that I had gotten at yard sales, second hand shops and in line at the super market while I was working. I rarely released a book in trade format. I did release a bunch of books by Ursela Hegi and a copy of Kissing in Manhattan. I'm rather sorry that I did now though because the books seem to have gone nowhere. Instead I could have loaned them to a number of friends and gotten them back in the end. The flaw in my system is that the books I released through bookcrossing were mostly junk that I don't really care what happened to anyway. If I hadn't released them I would probably have given them to salvation army anyway.

sanyuja said:
But, even if I buy a second-hand book, I still read it with the same passion. I touch the book, I feel it for as long as I read it.

If its a book that I didnt like, then I might think of letting it go. But, if its a book that I really enjoyed, then no way buddy!
I agree. I keep almost every book I buy unless I dont really enjoy it, then I usually donate it to a tiny library we have here. But its certainly better to give away a book than to throw it in the trash. I've found several books abandoned like that, including a 4Vols. of a hardcover set of Poe's writings that I just posted about on the"Bargains" Thread. It's just wrong to trash a book, unless its completely falling apart. I had to throw out my "To Kill A Mockingbird" because all the pages fell out, but not until I had found a replacement copy. :)

Just visited the bookcrossings site. I think I'll try it. I have several doubles of Stephen King books because people know I collect them so they just keep coming, and it's not hard for me to part with a double of something I've already read. I'd never give away part of my collection, though.

It sounds like an interesting experiment, I'll put a few out there and see if I get feedback from them, if not-end of experiment!

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that site existed! :)

Hi I'm new here and this is my first post.

I like the book crossing idea. However, I feel like the thread starter - some books are just to good or too precious for me to give away. However, books that I've liked read once, but know I will not read again, I will either give to charity shops, 2nd hand book shops or pass them onto friends.

However, if I lend a book to friends, a book that I really like, then strict guidelines are set. You don't want your book coming back 'dogearred' - meaning the pages being bent down to know where u stopped - use a bookmark!!!, or the spine being bent so much that pages are falling out, or coffee marks.

Official Book Crossing Zone Cheltenham

The Beehive, Montpellier Cheltenham has become an official book crossing zone (see bookcrossing.com for more details).

Please feel free to release your books ther safe in the knowledge they will not be removed!!!

You paying for the tickets to Cheltenham? I travel first class, thanks. Preferably flights but will consider rail.

Back