• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Crossing - Recycling books 'into the wild'

Unlock Reality is traveling again.

I'm sorry 'bookman' but in the spirit of "bookcrossing" I've left it on the Heath (under the large table and chair) quite a few days ago. I'm sure its gone by now given the number of people coming to see that very odd piece of 'art'. I hope the person who has got it now will enjoy reading it as much as I did. It would be good to hear from others who have read Unlock Reality and hear what they think about this book. I also look forward to following the progress of the copy I had - who knows you may end up with it at some point. :D

Maybe we could do a swap sometime? Don't know about postage though, I have read about quite a few people complaining how expensive and problematic it is to send stuff to US from abroad. Food for thought though, what kind of books do you like?
My id on bookcrossing is same as here, very original eh?? Try out my books and see if anything interests you if you like?[/QUOTE]

I just found your previous post and went to your bookshelf at TBRs that are on my list of "Books to Read Someday". I'm abecedarian on bookcrossing too. I have another 180+ books I need to register. I have my TBR list in my documents and I could send the list to you and see if anything interests you. That way I don't have to register them all before you can see it. I don't know what postage would be. When I checked on sending books to Romania, it was about $11 to send three normal sized paperbacks.
BTW- I have a friend in Largs. He's a godfather to the children of some friends of ours who moved back to England last year.He's great..sometimes I lovingly refer to him as The Scottish Godfather :D

Hi
Just saw your message! Sure I will have a look on bookcrossing and let you know. Thanks!

abecedarian said:
Maybe we could do a swap sometime? Don't know about postage though, I have read about quite a few people complaining how expensive and problematic it is to send stuff to US from abroad. Food for thought though, what kind of books do you like?
My id on bookcrossing is same as here, very original eh?? Try out my books and see if anything interests you if you like?

I just found your previous post and went to your bookshelf at TBRs that are on my list of "Books to Read Someday". I'm abecedarian on bookcrossing too. I have another 180+ books I need to register. I have my TBR list in my documents and I could send the list to you and see if anything interests you. That way I don't have to register them all before you can see it. I don't know what postage would be. When I checked on sending books to Romania, it was about $11 to send three normal sized paperbacks.
BTW- I have a friend in Largs. He's a godfather to the children of some friends of ours who moved back to England last year.He's great..sometimes I lovingly refer to him as The Scottish Godfather :D[/QUOTE]

i've heard of that..

i've actually been on that site a few years ago when i still lived in NJ. i looked up my area and it was just.. empty. im curious as to if anyone actually does that around here. in theory it makes sense, but i can imagine someone (or even myself =P) of just keeping the books. or selling them through amazon... i highly doubt my mom would be happy if i'd just abandoned my books like that.. i wouldn't mind if they were crappy books =P

aye, i agree. there's no sense of unwanted/unliked books sitting around the house when someone else can come across it and absolutely love it

Recently a friend sent me an email to give me the address of the bookcrossing site. I read it and wrote back and told him that I just didn't think I could allow my books to go out into the unkown and quite possibly never hear anything of them again. Well I met up with him today and he started telling me how he had cleaned out his books and given all the 'crappy' ones to the Salvation Army, but had decided to let some of the better ones go by sending them out alone to be bookcrossers (if that's a word). He said he had let three go already and had checked the site regularly to see if anyone had made any comments. Two days ago someone did.

One of his books was picked up by a 15 year old kid. The kid went to the site and wrote an entry. His entry said something along the lines of, "I know I am supposed to read this book and pass it on, but I will never part with this book. We have recently found out that my grandfather was very sick and we didn't expect him to live long. Today we found out that my grandfather is ok and I also found this book. This book made me laugh and I found it on a special day, so thankyou, but I will keep it forever."

My other friend's reply was, "Well that makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it."

So, whether these books are read and passed on or not, there is always the possiblility that it brought a little ray of sunshine to someone's life.

i've been on that website a few times. the concept itself is good but i wouldn't be able to part with my books. also, it seems like most of the books that are out there are unknown and uninteresting anyway. not surprising.

I recently joined and have been releasing some books. It is an interesting idea and I have to lighten my bookshelves before I move.

What do you think of Book Crossing?

Has anyone here tried it yet? I'm keen to know what people think about the idea. Personally I like the idea of turning the world into a free library, what are your views?

I like the idea, but I'm just too possesive of my books to turn them loose. I love having my library and I just couldn't part with it. If I had enough $$ to buy 2 of every copy of my favorite books then we might get somewhere....:)

It's a great idea, but I've never had a wild release get journaled..the only ones that I hear about have been ones I've traded with other bookcrossers. If you're ok with that possibility, then jump in and enjoy yourself. The forums at BC are great. Every year there are challenges in the Book Talk forum, and last year someone issued an Olympic Challenge to read one book for every nation that sends athletes to the Olympic Games..initially the goal was to have completed all 203 countries by the start of the summer games in August 2008, but since some have taken up the challenge later, that date has been fudged a little..the idea is to make a reading lifestyle change that will go on long after the hoopla of the '08 games has faded. Oh, and the other "rule"..each book should be by a writer who's either a native or current citizen of the represented country..

I love the idea of BookCrossing, but I find it so hard to release my precious books - I love having them there on my shelf as a kind of reminder of all of the books I have read. I have released a few, though - my very first release was journalled, in fact. Somehow it had travelled from a mall in Christchurch to Sydney, Australia, so that was pretty cool. I even went along to a few BC meetups in town, but unfortunately I now work on the night that they meetup.

Back