• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Crossing - Recycling books 'into the wild'

Hey, Sphaedrew, do you know my nephew and talented author, Ben Bamber? He lives in Montpellier, Cheltenham. I believe he contributed his book to the Book Crossing. Next time I pop down there I'll put my Escaping Reality in. I'm not likely to make any money anyway!

Geoff

sphaedrew said:
Please feel free to release your books ther safe in the knowledge they will not be removed!!!

Errr, um, the whole point of Book Crossing is that the books *are* taken. And then passed on, etc.
j

BookCrossing Mystery Style Unlock Reality

Hello Folks,
Thought some might find this interesting. In the UK there is a group of people, about five of them apparently, a couple of Monks a professor and others who have found a novel way of doing market research by using BookCrossing. It all happened by accident as a text called Unlock Reality they were working on began to affect people proof reading it in a strange way and some began to try and live out their childhood dreams after reading it. (The text was created to help the world to better understanding.) One reader left for the Himalayas with his copy, not having been seen since, old people took up sky diving, people left the army, sold their property and hit the road, a bunch of strange stuff is reported.

Seems the Monks had a revolt on their hands when some working on the text insisted it should be made available immediately for the good it would do while others argued it needed some polishing first. A compromise was reach when the Monks agreed to release 100 copies of the manuscript via BookCrossing. They are now using the feedback they get to improve the text.

BookCrossing is famous for bringing old books to people's attention, but could it be in the future, new, unreleased books, will find their way into our hands from park benches so our opinions can help shape them for their eventual release? Might be.

Anyone else heard about this? What do you think? Wishing everyone well.

Bookman

:)

I prefer to lend books, it enables me to match the book to the person. I have books that I have literally leant to like 20 people, making it clear that I want them back. I can't imagine releasing my books. They're like my children!

This (below) is an interesting story, bookman. I am a fairly new member of bookcrossing.com and have to stress that I haven't felt under any pressure to let any of my precious books go. What encourages me to release books is that I know that I have a chance to get books that I am looking for. There are no rules as to how you use the website after you join.
The point of this post really, is to tell of an experience I had that is similar to bookman's story. I happened to read an entry about a book written by a fellow member of bookcrossing. He had registered and released a number of his books on the website. I sent him an email to ask about his book and he sent me a copy of one of the funniest books I have ever read. If anyone is considering joining bookcrossing, I would suggest thinking about what you can get out of the site as well as what you put in. You don't have to give away precious books but there are lots of treasures out there that you may not come across otherwise.

bookman said:
Hello Folks,
Thought some might find this interesting. In the UK there is a group of people, about five of them apparently, a couple of Monks a professor and others who have found a novel way of doing market research by using BookCrossing. It all happened by accident as a text called Unlock Reality they were working on began to affect people proof reading it in a strange way and some began to try and live out their childhood dreams after reading it. (The text was created to help the world to better understanding.) One reader left for the Himalayas with his copy, not having been seen since, old people took up sky diving, people left the army, sold their property and hit the road, a bunch of strange stuff is reported.

Seems the Monks had a revolt on their hands when some working on the text insisted it should be made available immediately for the good it would do while others argued it needed some polishing first. A compromise was reach when the Monks agreed to release 100 copies of the manuscript via BookCrossing. They are now using the feedback they get to improve the text.

BookCrossing is famous for bringing old books to people's attention, but could it be in the future, new, unreleased books, will find their way into our hands from park benches so our opinions can help shape them for their eventual release? Might be.

Anyone else heard about this? What do you think? Wishing everyone well.

Bookman

:)

Bookcrossing not so Happy

Thank you for that. The fact that something might end up doing good things you didn't expect would happen when in the planning stages should be seen as a bonus, but sadly the reaction from Bookcrossing has not been all that positive to this people's experiment. From what I understand they lodged a complaint against the monks. Funny World. :)

Very strange indeed!! I don't see what reason they would have for that unless the monks were making megabucks from their project. I doubt that this was the case, bookcrossing is hardly the ideal vehicle for making your first million is it? Strange indeed!!
bookman said:
Thank you for that. The fact that something might end up doing good things you didn't expect would happen when in the planning stages should be seen as a bonus, but sadly the reaction from Bookcrossing has not been all that positive to this people's experiment. From what I understand they lodged a complaint against the monks. Funny World. :)

I joined bookcrossing thinking it was a book swap site. It took me a few weeks to grasp the concept, and what sold me were the "book rings" where people ship a book to the next person on the list after they're done reading it, and comment on it. It may take a year for you to get a book back, but you know people are enjoying it in the meantime.

Someone posted a message recently saying she was a member of a book swap site, and kept seeing her books end up on Ebay. It seems like a betrayal of trust, somehow.

At bookcrossing, the idea is to give the book as wide of an audience as it can find. Plus it's kind of fun to track a book and see where it's been.

It is Fun

Yeah, it's like tying messages to helium balloons or putting messages in a bottle and wondering how far they will travel. :)

I'm getting ready to swap a book with another bookcrosser..so I guess this a controlled release. It fun, and I'll probably drop off a book at the post office when I mail this one. Either that, or offer the nice lady at the post office a free book..

I had word of my first "catch" two days ago. Actually it was a "controlled release" I suppose as I actually gave it to somebody. Anyway, the journal entry says the book would be released next somewhere in Spain! A perfect release I think? I love the idea of all my released books travelling... around the WORLD not just in Glasgow and surrounds! :)

I know what you mean about hoping to see one of your books in another part of the world..but please don't say "just" and "Glascow" in the same sentence..to somebody in "plain-jane" Kansas, it sounds pretty exotic :D

I registered on the site and am currently very enamored with it. I have released two book "into the wild" today. I don't know what will come of them but it is fun to think about. I did 'Don't Eat This Book' in the organic section of the grocery store and 'Running with Scissors' at the University. I'm hoping at least one of them will be journaled on.... I will be releasing more soon. Mainly because I just don't have room in my apartment for all my books.

That would be Glasgow with 2 g's? Or maybe somewhere near Moscow? JOKING!! But if it was, then I would probably think it was exotic too. Come on over, just click your heels 3 times.... No, that's for going home isn't it?
Maybe we could do a swap sometime? Don't know about postage though, I have read about quite a few people complaining how expensive and problematic it is to send stuff to US from abroad. Food for thought though, what kind of books do you like?
My id on bookcrossing is same as here, very original eh?? Try out my books and see if anything interests you if you like?

abecedarian said:
I know what you mean about hoping to see one of your books in another part of the world..but please don't say "just" and "Glascow" in the same sentence..to somebody in "plain-jane" Kansas, it sounds pretty exotic :D

"Don't Eat This Book" in the grocery store! I like it! That deserves to be snapped up and journaled immediately! I wish I'd thought of that. :D

Scottishduffy said:
I registered on the site and am currently very enamored with it. I have released two book "into the wild" today. I don't know what will come of them but it is fun to think about. I did 'Don't Eat This Book' in the organic section of the grocery store and 'Running with Scissors' at the University. I'm hoping at least one of them will be journaled on.... I will be releasing more soon. Mainly because I just don't have room in my apartment for all my books.

I like the idea but I find the books too precious and I always wonder what has happened to the books that haven't been 'caught' If I did release any it would be ones that I wasn't too worried about saying goodbye too or had bought second hand for a few (english) pence. My nice books I would rather lend to friends so I know they are going to a good home and I can lend them out again. I joined the site months ago tho to read reviews and things before I found this one. :D

I know the feeling. I don't like the idea of letting my books go just any old place. I particularly don't like the idea of finding that somebody is selling MY books on ebay. However, I think there can be a balance. I wouldn't leave a book on a bus for example, but I would leave one in a cafe I where I thought somebody was likely to ... well, read it would do for a start! I quite like the idea of bookrings and rays etc. I have to say I have only joined one and that was about a month ago. It started in US and I should have the book by New Year :D at least it's a start.

westylass said:
I like the idea but I find the books too precious and I always wonder what has happened to the books that haven't been 'caught' If I did release any it would be ones that I wasn't too worried about saying goodbye too or had bought second hand for a few (english) pence. My nice books I would rather lend to friends so I know they are going to a good home and I can lend them out again. I joined the site months ago tho to read reviews and things before I found this one. :D

Found book from 'bookcrossing.com'

Hi everyone,
I've found the book Unlock Reality mentioned above. Went onto "bookcrossing.com" and after a bit of bother, put my comments and then tried to find out more about where it came from and who wrote it (still not sure). I then came across all the stuff about the big mystery. To all who are looking for it I have to say that it is real. I've read it and must say that it's very different from anything I've ever read before. So too is the idea of bookcrossing. Its been very interesting to be part of something different , so thumbs up to the monks or whomever they are and those at bookcrossing.com!!! :)

Well, I know for a fact 'Running with Scissors' got picked up by someone, now I just have to wait to see if it gets journaled on. I left it in the middle of student union and when I walked by again 5 minutes later it was already gone. Makes me kinda happy.... but now I am hoping whoever it is takes a few minutes just to write that they found it.

Unlock Reality Fever

hello Dreamscape,
So you found Unlock Reality!

Can I ask please which country you are in? Everyone I know is hunting for it after all the fuss on the radio and the net. Knda like finding the Wonka Golden Ticket only there are 50 of these. I'd love to hear a bit of what it's like and wonder if you still have your copy, would BookCrossing allow you to send it to me next. I'd be happy to cover postage and packing. Congratulations. You are very lucky.

P.S There is even a web site set up to put copies of the book you found in key places round the world. If you don't believe me, have a look.

http://unlockreality.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Back