• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Lust Bookring

:( I think i will have to pass on this one right now. We are just doing too much running around with the kids and holidays/birthdays and all. Things are too hectic so I am afraid i wouldnt get it read in descent timing.

mom2kngr said:
:( I think i will have to pass on this one right now. We are just doing too much running around with the kids and holidays/birthdays and all. Things are too hectic so I am afraid i wouldnt get it read in descent timing.

Ya sure? I could just leave the book by the L.I. grainbins or something as I'm passing through.;) :D :p

OMG u guys crack me up!!:p Maybe if i have more time when it gets a round a bit i will join in but i sure can't be one of the first ones. I am soooo sick of living in my car:(

Here ya go, a good one to start with mom2kngr.:p

"Vacation" means going to Omaha for the weekend.

You use your life savings to go to the Nebraska-Colorado game.

You know the Woodmen Tower is not made of wood.

You know you cannot tube "upstream."

You know what the "sea of red & white" is

You wake up when it's dark, and go to bed when it's still light.

You can tell it's really a farmer working late in his field, and not a UFO.

You know the difference between field corn and sweet corn when they are still on the stalk.

You pick up all the free stuff at the State Fair.

You can eat an ear of corn with no utensils in less than 20 seconds.

You fly your American flag at halfmast when the Cornhuskers lose a football game.

You know how to pronounce Beatrice, Norfolk and Kearney.

You think Highway 6 is more scenic that I-80, which you think is the best thing to come out of Iowa.

You don't understand why other states even bother to try raising beef.

You believe that the worst steak in Nebraska is still better than any other steak, anywhere.

You believe that vegetarians should be banned in Nebraska.

You don't have to be told what Aksarben is or that it's Nebraska spelled backward.

You take pride in knowing that on Saturdays, Memorial stadium is the third largest city in the state.

Kitty Clover potato chips and Robert's Milk were are the best part of a meal.

You know that the statue on the dome of the state capital is actually sowing seed - not bowling.

You know what a Runza is.

You call lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper."

You think it's normal to get a side of spaghetti at a steakhouse.

You avoid Omaha because you're afraid of getting mugged.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Nebraska.

And, I wouldn't want to leave out the fine TBF members from Kansas either.

You've been hit by enough tornados to know there is no such thing as Oz

You can properly pronounce Salina, Basehor, Schoenchen, Olathe & Osawatomie

A shotgun is your idea of instant messaging.

You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply

You're ready to shoot the next person who asks about Toto & Dorthy

You've had classes canceled for heat & snow in the same month

You support the Chiefs through thick and thin.

You have to travel 20 miles just to go to the nearest mall

The only tourists you see are on the way to Colorado

You know the meaning of Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Your closest neighbor is more than a mile away, and you can still see him from your front porch.

The terms Sooners, Huskers and Missouri Tigers cause the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up straight and your blood pressure to rise.

You are not surprised to find movie rentals, ammunition and bait all in the same store.

You know everything goes better with Ranch.

You know the real way to pronounce the name of Clintons state and the river... arKANSAS.

You never met any celebrities. (Bob Dole isn't a celebrity, he's your neighbor.)

You prefer the Little Apple over the Big Apple as a place to live.

You had at least one summer job that was bucking bails or custom cutting.

You understand the difference between 3.2 and 6 point, and more than once you've made a beer run to another state.

You know in your heart that K-State can beat Oklahoma in football.

You call that smell coming from the feed yards "money."

You know that Mt. Oread is really only just a hill.

Down south means Oklahoma.

You can properly pronounce Basehor, Cimmeron, Schoenchen, Kechi, Chautauqua, Arkalalah, and Osawatomie.

You really do think Sunflowers are beautiful.

You went to skating parties as a kid.

You'll pay for your kids to go to college...unless they want to go to OU or NU.

Your earliest driving lessons were in a field while picking up hay.

Your excuse for being late is the cows got out, and the boss accepts it MANY times

Your main drag in town is two blocks long.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Kansas.

Here ya go, a good one to start with mom2kngr.:p

"Vacation" means going to Omaha for the weekend.

You use your life savings to go to the Nebraska-Colorado game.

You know the Woodmen Tower is not made of wood.

You know you cannot tube "upstream."

You know what the "sea of red & white" is

You wake up when it's dark, and go to bed when it's still light.

You can tell it's really a farmer working late in his field, and not a UFO.

You know the difference between field corn and sweet corn when they are still on the stalk.

You pick up all the free stuff at the State Fair.

You can eat an ear of corn with no utensils in less than 20 seconds.

You fly your American flag at halfmast when the Cornhuskers lose a football game.

You know how to pronounce Beatrice, Norfolk and Kearney.

You think Highway 6 is more scenic that I-80, which you think is the best thing to come out of Iowa.

You don't understand why other states even bother to try raising beef.

You believe that the worst steak in Nebraska is still better than any other steak, anywhere.

You believe that vegetarians should be banned in Nebraska.

You don't have to be told what Aksarben is or that it's Nebraska spelled backward.

You take pride in knowing that on Saturdays, Memorial stadium is the third largest city in the state.

Kitty Clover potato chips and Robert's Milk were are the best part of a meal.

You know that the statue on the dome of the state capital is actually sowing seed - not bowling.

You know what a Runza is.

You call lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper."

You think it's normal to get a side of spaghetti at a steakhouse.

You avoid Omaha because you're afraid of getting mugged.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Nebraska.

And, I wouldn't want to leave out the fine TBF members from Kansas either.

You've been hit by enough tornados to know there is no such thing as Oz

You can properly pronounce Salina, Basehor, Schoenchen, Olathe & Osawatomie

A shotgun is your idea of instant messaging.

You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply

You're ready to shoot the next person who asks about Toto & Dorthy

You've had classes canceled for heat & snow in the same month

You support the Chiefs through thick and thin.

You have to travel 20 miles just to go to the nearest mall

The only tourists you see are on the way to Colorado

You know the meaning of Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Your closest neighbor is more than a mile away, and you can still see him from your front porch.

The terms Sooners, Huskers and Missouri Tigers cause the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up straight and your blood pressure to rise.

You are not surprised to find movie rentals, ammunition and bait all in the same store.

You know everything goes better with Ranch.

You know the real way to pronounce the name of Clintons state and the river... arKANSAS.

You never met any celebrities. (Bob Dole isn't a celebrity, he's your neighbor.)

You prefer the Little Apple over the Big Apple as a place to live.

You had at least one summer job that was bucking bails or custom cutting.

You understand the difference between 3.2 and 6 point, and more than once you've made a beer run to another state.

You know in your heart that K-State can beat Oklahoma in football.

You call that smell coming from the feed yards "money."

You know that Mt. Oread is really only just a hill.

Down south means Oklahoma.

You can properly pronounce Basehor, Cimmeron, Schoenchen, Kechi, Chautauqua, Arkalalah, and Osawatomie.

You really do think Sunflowers are beautiful.

You went to skating parties as a kid.

You'll pay for your kids to go to college...unless they want to go to OU or NU.

Your earliest driving lessons were in a field while picking up hay.

Your excuse for being late is the cows got out, and the boss accepts it MANY times

Your main drag in town is two blocks long.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Kansas.

Don't forget we also know the true pronounciation of El Dorado..Poe's gallant knight may have been searching for El Dorado, but he should have looked in El DorAdo KS:D
My dh's parents were from Arkansas, and it drove his dad crazy whenever he heard someone talk about the ARkansas river:rolleyes:

I find the false beliefs about our fair state funny. We really do have green grass, not black and white like that stupid movie!! I don't know anyone who has a litle dog named Toto..and no, we haven't had to fight Indians on our way to school for several years now. We still have Marshall Dillion and Miss Kitty to keep them and the cattle rustlers in line...

Irregardless of stereotypes, I'll leave the book by the large bin with the red clock.:p Honestly though, my wife is terrified of Omaha. One way roads, those buildings!, and not to mention that we hear about something bad from tehre on the news every night. Heck, crime in my town is when the town drunk falls off of the water tower after a few too many.

There was a murder in my town about 13 years ago..
But lately we've had a scare because two convicts escaped from an Oklahoma prison. One turned himself in a few miles (20 minutes) away from here. So I heard Sunday night that the schools, post office, and pharmacy were locked during regular hours til the other guy was found. Apparently his ex-wife and sister-in-law have gone into hiding. This guy is a convicted murderer, and was abusive to his wife and kids. They all live in the Wichita area. Stuff happens everywhere these days. When we visited relatives in Arkansas they asked us weren't we scared of the gangs up here..

And Kansas also has a writer from Emporia that has written many books, they take place in the Flint Hills,......and I think I have them all. :) :p

Yup, that would be Don Coldsmith. He has a stand alone book that's very good too. I can't think of the title at the moment..I've always loved the story of how he got the idea for the Trail of the Spanish Bit. If its a lie, its a dang good one:cool:
There are several published writers from Kansas. I can't think of them at the moment..Nancy Moser is one; at least two are romance writers. One lives in Wichita, and the other in Goddard(that's Leslie LaFoy) and I met her a couple of years ago. I met another Kansas writer this past summer at our local library when he did a presentation for kids. His books were fun, but he was a blowhard..

I recieved the Book Lust yesterday. mehastings, I'll pm you when I'm ready for your snail mail. And put me in line for the next bookring, too.

Back