• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Lust Bookring

abecedarian

I want to start a bookring with Book Lust by Nancy Pearl. I would include a small notebook for members to note favorites and other suggestions. This could be an international ring if the interest is there. For those who would rather not send their home addresses to everyone on the list, we can handle that through the PM system here. How about it? Anyone interested?

Kookamoor said:
Sorry if this is ignorent, but what's a bookring?

A bookring is when a bunch of people pass a book around in a circle. After everyone reads it they send it back to the person who started it. There may be more complicated rules, but I'm not sure as I've never been part of one.

That's correct! It's like a round robin, only with one book. A bookbox would be a bookring with a boxfull of books, which the participants take out a pre-agreed number of books, and in turn, they add in their own books to replace what they take out, then send the box on to the next person on the list. Often bookboxes have themes, such as mysteries, Christmas, kids, literary fiction, etc. Those can get pricey if the box is too big.

Oh that would be soo fun!! I would be in for it....Life is kind of hectic right now so hopefully I can find time to read and move it on. LOL I swear somedays I need a clone or two :D

:D Spoken like a true sisterhood of the flying pants society member! You know our motto: "Always flying by the seat of our pants!"

Anyway, I'll leave the bookring open for a couple of weeks to see if anyone else wants to play, then make up the roster. This should be fun!

That sounds like a really fun idea. I'm not up for it now as my reading time is quite constrained, as is my postage budget. But I might start something like this for some friends at home.

Great! The more rings going the better. What book or books do you have in mind? Don't mind me, I'm always nosy about what others are reading ;)

I'd like to join in, if people are willing to pay for international postage. I'm fine with it if people would rather not, just thought that it would be fun :)

abecedarian said:
What book or books do you have in mind?
Oh, where to begin?!?! I was in the bookstore at the airport on the weekend. A bad idea - thank goodness I didn't have the cash flow to follow my heart. Unfortunately I also didn't have a pen, time and my TBR list to make some notes. I saw the bio from the fellow who got trapped while climbing and cut his arm off (gruesome stuff, but I want to read it!). And there was one about a female bassoonist - it's a NY Times bestseller... can't recall its name, though. I used to play the bassoon, so that had me well interested! Many others on the NY Times best seller list display looked equally appealing, though they normally aren't all my cup of tea. I think I'm suffering some kind of reading deprivation :(

LOL My purse might as well be empty if I don't have at least one working pen and something to write on..even if its just a deposit slip from the checkbook-who uses all of those anyway? Grocery store reciepts work nicely too ;) But the worst, is having the paper, and no pen. What am I supposed to do, jab my index finger and write in blood??? I think I'd whip out the plastic and charge a $1 pen first :D

Kookamoor said:
I saw the bio from the fellow who got trapped while climbing and cut his arm off (gruesome stuff, but I want to read it!). :(

I saw a little interview about this on TV. It was a interview on how he went back there after it happened and kinda relived it all and they told about what actually happened as they went on. Very interesting and sad but I bet it would be a very good book!!

Excuse my perhaps ignorance also, but is there much difference between this and the "Book of the Month" format? Seems to me, unless there's a benefit I've not cottoned onto that it'd be a lot less hassle to just all read the book (own copies) at the same time and discuss it that way?
Sounds like an interesting concept, I just though it'd be easier doing it another way?

I suppose we could do that, but I was thinking of my copy sitting all forlorn and unused on my shelf, and thought it would be nice to share it. The book ring concept is a Bookcrossing thing, that is nice for those who want to read a book they might not care to buy because they'd only read it once. Again, its just a thought.

How much is postage in the US? Is it lower than elsewhere? I'm just wondering about the cost of postage vs. buying the book.

Kookamoor said:
How much is postage in the US? Is it lower than elsewhere? I'm just wondering about the cost of postage vs. buying the book.
I buy things off eBay a lot, and postage to here is usually less than 10 dollars, so it should be at least half that to send something in the US.

I sometimes send a couple of regular sized paperbacks at one time, a I think it was in the $2.50 range..to send to Canada was just over $3 I think. When I checked into the cost of sending three paperbacks of the same size to Romania, it would have been between $11 and $12..I've recieved single modest sized books from Australia, and noticed the postage was under $3. I haven't mailed any to England, so I don't know about the rate there.

abecedarian said:
I sometimes send a couple of regular sized paperbacks at one time, a I think it was in the $2.50 range..to send to Canada was just over $3 I think. When I checked into the cost of sending three paperbacks of the same size to Romania, it would have been between $11 and $12..I've recieved single modest sized books from Australia, and noticed the postage was under $3. I haven't mailed any to England, so I don't know about the rate there.
Hmm! That's much lower than I expected... When I've ordered books online within Australia it is $6 to mail them domestically. I know that's not the actual postage rate, but I figured it was approximate at least. Under $3 from Australia to the US seems a bit too low, though. I regularly send packages to Australia from Canada and postage is usually at least $15 by ship for a book-sized package, or about $25 by air.

I'm getting the book ready to mail to mom2kngr, and I'll check the cost of shipping to Australia. I know it's not much to send the same size to Canada. I have to go find a small notebook that will fit the envelope, but not be so dinky as to utterly useless ;)

abecedarian said:
I'm getting the book ready to mail to mom2kngr, and I'll check the cost of shipping to Australia. I know it's not much to send the same size to Canada. I have to go find a small notebook that will fit the envelope, but not be so dinky as to utterly useless ;)
Thanks! I'm really curious about this.

Back