• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books/Authors you hate

Generalvally

I thought it would be interesting to see what books and authors that people think are god awful. And so, I will start with my hate list.

Robert Jordan now<- This arrogant monkey tops my hate list. His books started good and thousands were drawn into his world. Now his later books have dwindled to crap and his series still hasn't ended. He is 10 books into it and he decides to write a ... Prologue??? This guy has stretched this series way beyond its limits and what is left is a horrible waste of money. He should be immediate shot and then some random monkey can step in and finish his stinkin series. :D

Denis L McKiernan books- The most blatant and obvious Tolkien rip-off of I have seen. Such crap should never have been published and this guy should be shot. :D

Please feel free to add to this literary hate list. :rolleyes:

* braces himself before going against the flow *

i wouldnt say 'hate' but i truly dislike Arthur Conan Doyle , especially because most people cant stop praising Sherlock Holmes while in my opinion they are the most unbelievable , childish and senseless stories. whatever Sherlock deduces it always has to be accurate! in reality every action can have a thousand consequences and so it would be impossible to predict something including all the minute details

There are a few unfortunately that I just can't get away with.

Chris Bunch
Alice Borchardt
David Drake
David Gemmell
David Eddings
Fritz Leiber
George R R Martin
Jacqueline Carey
James Barclay
Janny Wurts
Jude Fisher
JV Jones
K J Parker
Kate Elliott
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Mercedes Lackey
Richard Lee Byers
Tom Arden
Tom Holt
William Hornwood

Now i know it's a matter of taste, and no doubt there are some favourite's of other readers in this list. But I found these authors boring and long winded, they couldnt keep my attention at all.

rune

David Gemmal without a doubt!!! ARRRRRRRRG :)

If he writes "the big man" one more time... Oh and if he also writes "He admitted." one more time as well. Has he not got a dictionary? Dosn't he know that admitted means reluctantly divulged information? He uses it for EVERYTHING. Are you hungry? Yes he admited. We are going to dinner? Yes he admitted. ARRRHHGGG lol Oh, and his novels stink coz its the same character and story over and over.

OK, now I KNOW i'm going to get some incoming fire on this one, so flame on shield on! lol

Ready? Terry Pratchett! I actually read his first 15 books and maybe even more. I DID find them to be quite funny and I enjoyed them. BUT he is writing the same thing over and over again. Oh look it's, another guards book. Oh look, it's another witches book. Oh look, it's another wizards book... and so on. Also, the same jokes. Also He is insufferably SMUG and thinks he is so clever. Bascially he has stared to believe the hype about himself. His books are entertaining and they are funny and that's it. All this about them being great social satire of our time... bullshit! lol They are good but they are very simplistic fun. His smugness shines though the page screaming, look I am illustrating some really witty and clever points about oursociaty though metaphor! NO YOU ARE NOT HHH HHHH lol Ok, thank you, I really did need that :) lol

Best Regards
Wabbit

Richard Newcomb - words can't even begin to describe how terrible he is. I know a lot of you will not imagine how bad when you read this , but it scares and disgusts me that he actually got published.

Robert Jorden - Didn't really like the first books, then they got worse...

David Eddings - The early ones were readable if you had nothing else and I actually enjoyed Polgara the Sorcerous, but the Elder Gods was just one big pile of steaming turd.

Terry Brooks - See Jordan only this guy is even less original.

Terry Goodkind - see Jordan

Kim Hunter - I can't really decide what it is I dislike about her books, they get good reviews all over the internet, but I really just don't get anyenjoyment reading her books.

Terry Pratchett - I just didn't find his books funny (except Good Omens which was fantastic) and once that's gone there isn't much left.

If you guys hate these authors so much, then why do you continue to buy their books? Maybe if you stop, NY will get the hint, and start bringing on new authors from the zillions who are trying to break into the Big Apple. I hear this over and over on readers' lists - they hate the authors but they continue to buy them. Why?

Modesitt. Get a new plot, please.
Robert Jordan, for the same reasons listed above. Hubby buys them the week they come out though.
Piers Anthony, "Mr. I-need-to-buy-a-new-house-here's-a-new-Xanth-novel." Doesn't he feel any shame?

*flame suit on* about 1/2 of Heinlien. It's like there's 2 authors there, the good one and the bad one. His good stuff is excellent. The bad stuff is awful.

Robin Cook. (not a sci fi, but still, I had to say it.)

Actually, I met Mr Anthony last year. He's a very sweet, quiet man. From what I could tell, he doesn't live lavishly. But this brings to mind what a lot of people think about writers - that they're all rich. They're not. There are a few who are, but most of them aren't. Most authors never get rich off of writing. They write because they love to write.

Originally posted by Jenna
If you guys hate these authors so much, then why do you continue to buy their books? Maybe if you stop, NY will get the hint, and start bringing on new authors from the zillions who are trying to break into the Big Apple. I hear this over and over on readers' lists - they hate the authors but they continue to buy them. Why?

I don't buy the authors in my dislike list anymore. I bought one book, found it was awful and never bought another by them again.

I won't waste my hard earned cash on a book I won't like, it's just a shame I have found so many that fall into that list :(

Still, there are also a lot of authors I've not tried yet and I am sure I will find some new favourites among them :D

After American Psycho, I can't bring myself to buy another Ellis book. I found myself skipping over large amounts of rambling text.

I have to agree about Easton Ellis - at about the hundredth description of what suit somebody was wearing i think i fell asleep and started snoring!!

Quite how this translates to 'amazing literary style' i dont know! :confused:

Phil

Oh, I completely forgot about someone the first time round...

...Tolkien. Can anyone say OVERRATED? Really, what's the big deal. I think the Silmarillion was a masterpiece, but Lord of the Rings sucked.

I attempted to read Lord of the Rings 3 times and could not. On the fourth attempt only sheer stubbornness got me though to the end! Tolkien has wonderful ideas and is a VERY clever man. Unfortunately he is a very crappy writer :) Movies were much better!!!!

Best Regards
Wabbit

Wow! I am totally shocked to hear that said about Tolkien here in this forum! Usually the man is thought of as near to a god in the fantasy genre. But I felt the same way. I never would have read the books at all (and really only truly read the first one completely through) except that I was required to for a class in college. I thought the books were long winded, far too descriptive, and very wordy. Hmmm....guess that all means the same thing.

Not to mention a book with nothing resembling a plot and characters that might as well be blocks of stone.
Did Gandalf annoy anyone else? All he did was sit around and be wise. Some incinerating please...

Well, to be honest, I can't remember the books very well. But I always wondered in the movie - if he could command an eagle to come and fetch him from the tower, then why didn't he book passage on said eagle to fly Frodo to Mt Doom to deposit the ring? That has bugged me for the longest time. And why did his magic only work sometimes? I mean, why not just blast the enemy to smithereens? An all-powerful, all-knowing being is a pain in the butt to write about, idn't it? :D

Don't diss the Tolk-ster, will'ya!

No, really, if you look into what Tolkien actually did for his Rings-trilogy, you'd have other comments on it. Or maybe not. Your call, but I'm not here to defend him.

My dislikes:
Tom Holt. Read 'Falling Sideways' and was bored stiff. It was ludicrous! There's only so much that suspension of disbelief can handle!!
2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Greg Bear. Read 'Eon'. Well, I started reading it, and couldn't drag myself past the 50page-post. Sooooo boring, and soooo much detail. Just to much!
2gunsfiring_v1.gif

That's it, Really.

Cheers, Martin :D

This isn't going to be popular, but:

Neil Gaiman - I read Coraline on the strength of its reviews (all said it was a masterpiece) and I thought it was very poor and a very scanty story. I also find that Good Omens is the only Pratchett book I don't like - guess who the co-author is?

Also:

David Lee Stone - the new "phenomenon" (apparently) and author of The Ratastrophe Catastrophe - a derivative, fifth-rate Pratchett copy with no characterisation and woeful attempts at humour. I still haven't managed to read all of it, it's so dull! Apparently, his mother rescued his manuscript and sent it off to the publishers - she shouldn't have bothered.

And yes, though I love the LOTR in both book and film form, I agree that Gandalf is rather annoying and doesn't do much to help, considering how powerful he is meant to be!

Back