• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books/Authors you hate

Originally posted by Martin
Three words:

"Fly, you fools"

I rest my case.

Cheers, Martin :D

Did he actually do anything? He just said "You shall not pass" then "Fly, you fools" then he fell down a hole. Hardly a spectacular performance. And Tolkien didn't even have the bravery to leave him dead. :p

Did he do anything?! Did he do anything?!

Are you mad? Did you see the Balrog?

balrog.JPG

Sheesh!

Originally posted by Halo
This isn't going to be popular, but:

Neil Gaiman - I read Coraline on the strength of its reviews (all said it was a masterpiece) and I thought it was very poor and a very scanty story. I also find that Good Omens is the only Pratchett book I don't like - guess who the co-author is?

Hi Halo :)

Give Neil a chance! :) I really like Neil Gaiman. Not one of these rabid fan boys though. He HAS faults and is NOT the greatest writer to walk the planet, not even close to it. But he is very good IMHO :) As I have said, I really like him. I read Coraline and did not really like it much at all. If you are brave try "stardust" or "american gods" they are much better :) love the twin peaks feel to american gods. The ending sucks though lol

regards
Wabbit :)

I have to side with Martin to an extent on Gandalf. Maybe it's just because the film version of the Balrog actually surpassed my imagination of same (and that's rare). Having said that, though, I am not madly in love with Tolkien. There is something about folks who are mad for the way spoken English sounded back in days of yore (you've prob'ly met a few; they usually go around quoting Chaucer in Middle English because they like the way it sounds in their mouth) that makes them, at times, tedious writers. I don't need to read 50 pages of the latest military specs from Tom Clancy to understand that bombs blow things up, and I don't really need to read pages of made-up folk tales/songs to get the idea that words are cool.

If You Like Clancy OK...

Clancy can get a bit tedious, but if you like political thrillers, you might want to try Vince Flynn. People start getting knocked off in the first five chapters and the action doesn't stop. And the premises of his books are fascinating.

Tolkien's books are tedious and long drawn agreed. but he has to be commended to create an entire world within three books that has swept the world of its feet. so i am not sure he is the author that anyone can 'hate'. and come on ..if you write 1000 pages of literature there has to something or the other in it that everyone would dislike

I think all that Tolkien did for his books is incredible...lots of imagination. However, I do not enjoy his writing style at all. I love descriptive, but LOTR overwhelmed even me....and I enjoy Dickens.

Wabbit - I didn't like Stardust at all, it started out ok, but it got choppy and weak after he picked up the star. I was unimpressed.

Originally posted by SillyWabbit
Give Neil a chance! If you are brave try "stardust" or "american gods" they are much better regards
Wabbit :)

Hi Wabbit,

Thanks for the advice! What are these books about? I might give them a try! :)

I was underwhelmed by Stardust but loved Neverwhere (which turns out was a BBC miniseries first - who knew?) about Richard Mayhew, ordinary guy, who falls into a colorful underworld London where things are much more exciting.

And American Gods is very, very, very good. Shadow is getting out of prison at the beginning and encounters many extraordinary characters in very odd places while traveling with his new employer, Mr. Wednesday. Not sure what Wabbit means about the ending? I liked it fine. It's a bit fantasy, a bit magical realism, and has a dark, sort of gritty feel to it, but nothing like horror.

Well... about the ending :)

Don't know. It just kinda built up and up and then everything and everybody came together... then nothing reallly happens and everybody goes home. Don't know. To me, it just had the feeling that he did not really know how to end then thing. Just my personal view.

Great book though! Give it a try if you have not read it :)

And about Neverwhere. I saw the T.V show first :) Actually, it's very good. Bit on the cheap side, but good lol :) Have you seen it Ashlea?

Best Regards
Martin

i dislike prathchet to be honest. I read a few of his books which bored me to death especially the hogfather. Hes like a factory too at least 4 books a year he produces he has an entire libary just about in most book shops.

Oh yeah, now you come to mention it I saw Neverwhere and enjoyed it! I didn't realise Gaiman wrote it! Thanks for the info Wabbit and Ashlea. :)

Unfortunately, I have not seen Neverwhere. It only very recently came available here and it's not for rent anywhere and I don't want to spend the $40 for it without seeing it and I can't persuade any of my friends to, either. :(

My only option is to join Netflix again, (renting over the internet if any of you don't know) and I've been holding off until I have more free time to watch movies.

The Crimson Petal & The White by Michael Faber.

• The book (800 pages plus) had promise and just thre the whole story away in the last few chapters

re: Discussion above Neither Tolkien and Gaiman have held my attention but I'm not saying I hate them.

...oh! and The Da Vinci Code because everybody else likes it. :D

You know if you're talking about fantasy movies, has anyone seen DragonWorld? It's old, but it's a neat little story. The special effects are lame, but the hero is to die for. A Scotsman. Kilt, accent and all. Still, it's a cute movie.

currently reading a book by Irving Wallace
havent finished it but i can safely say that he is in my dislike list

Should've known, I like that film!

Anyway ... back to slamming authors that suck!

Back