• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books/Authors you hate

Ok with Dan Brown, lets just say the proportion of my view of his writing to the common opinion.

While we're on the topic though, David Gutterson....I have never seen a man feel such a necessity for using needless words randomly than he. :confused:

So late to the topic, but never the less, I shall put my two cents in. Authors/ books I hate:
Harry Turtledove. I doubt I will ever voluntarilly read one of his books again. Detailed? Yes, too much and too little if you as me. Memorable with lovable characters? Not really. The one book of his that I finished was Darkness Decending, and it took me a long time and a number of tries. It simply had nothing that held me to the story. I had gotten it expecting so much more, it just fell (very) short of those expectations.

Almost all the authors mentioned in this thread - with a few notable exceptions - are trash typists, so it's not surprising that so many people hate them. Wouldn't it be more interesting to find some seriously acclaimed writers we could hate?

Wabbit, how about Márquez to kick us off? ;)

Shade said:

now that you mention it, well not garcia marquez itself most of his books are pretty good but "no one writes to the colonel" could easily indentify with the very last word in the book itself ;)

Shade said:
Almost all the authors mentioned in this thread - with a few notable exceptions - are trash typists, so it's not surprising that so many people hate them. Wouldn't it be more interesting to find some seriously acclaimed writers we could hate?

OH. MY. GOD :O :O :O lol

I counter you good sir! How about Terry ( hack ) Pratchett? :D

Fine with me. I used to love him when I was in my teens but after volume 12 or so of the Discworld series (Lords & Ladies?) I just couldn't go on. I picked up another one of his a year or so ago - Thief of Time - just to see if I was missing anything, and I found that all the old weaknesses were there in spades:

1. He inhabits a place where the only dramatic engine for a story is the threat of the end of the world - in that case by time being frozen. Even though you know it'll all be all right in the end, however suddenly and ridiculously (see 3 and 4). While it makes a change to read a book with an actual, factual baddie in it, the problem is that when the end-of-the-world schtick is all you've got, it becomes necessarily inconsequential. And then we're in trouble. (Hey! A plot for the next book!)

2. Although there are several excellent jokes in Thief of Time (many in the footnotes - Pratchett has long used these to replicate in prose the expert timing of a great stand-up comedian: not a bad trick), boy does he know how to trample the life out of a running joke! The abbot, for example, who inhabits the body of an infant and interjects his statements with "BIKKIT!" and "wannapottynow!" All the time. For two hundred pages. Hilarious.

3. It's full of the pretentious horseshit I remember that I used to hate even when I liked him. All that prosaic poetry and magicky crap like "It came from the darkness ahead, a slow beat that was ridiculously familiar, a heartbeat magnified a million times, each beat slower than mountains and bigger than worlds, dark and blood red." Usually this doesn't turn up until about 90% of the way through the book (see 4), but here it kicked in before page 50.

4. I could tell early on that it was going to fit the usual pattern of Pratchett plotting, what Martin Amis denounced as the habit of popular fiction where the last 90% of the action takes place in the last 10% of the book. In Pratchett this sin is usually compounded by the resolution being brought about by nebulous magicky horseshit (see 3). This was evident even halfway through Thief of Time (where I gave up) where nothing had happened yet apart from a whole load of scene setting (see 5).

5. A whole load of scene setting; dozens of pages in a row of top-heavy conversations full of explication and backstory. Worse are Pratchett's creaking attempts to make things new while keeping it consistent with what happened in the previous 25 Discworld novels ("I thought you could remember the future!" "Yes. But something has changed.").

So for these reasons and more (when I can remember them), I just let Thief of Time slip quietly away. For is it not written that, in the grand tradition of Lennon & McCartney, Morecambe & Wise and ... er, Les Dennis & Dustin Gee, similarly when it comes to the pairing of Douglas Adams & Terry Pratchett - truly the wrong one died first. No offence like Terry mate!

Ummmm, not much to add but I agree with everything you have said. L:) I don't like his books for pretty much all the reasons you have just stated.

I just get the feeling, also, that he has become a terrible hack and is just churning them out now. He must be able to write thease things in his sleep! it READS like he is writing them in his sleep!

And yes, Dougles Adams did all this years ago and he did it a LOT better.

Terry, please MOVE ON!

** EDIT **

OK, Shade now me and you can wait for the inevitable backlash :D Along with Tolkien he is one of those authors you are not allowed to say you don't like him! The fan boys will be out tonight for blood! :D

There are authors I've read when I was younger that I absolutely loved (Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, David Eddings, etc). Somewhere along the way of getting older I stopped reading books written by those authors....I just didn't care for them. I don't think I"d place them in the hate category tho. There are only two authors I can say I truly hate reading.

Ernest Hemmingway (Not sci/fantasy I know)
and
Stephen King

Addie Cay said:
There are authors I've read when I was younger that I absolutely loved (Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, David Eddings, etc). Somewhere along the way of getting older I stopped reading books written by those authors....I just didn't care for them. I don't think I"d place them in the hate category tho. There are only two authors I can say I truly hate reading.

Ernest Hemmingway (Not sci/fantasy I know)
and
Stephen King

What have you read by King? Just out of interest...

Hmm... it's been awhile since I've read him.

Cujo
Carrie
The Dead Zone (I actually liked that one)
The Stand
Hearts of Atlantis (I think I have the title wrong)
Dreamcatcher
Geralds Game

I think that's about it, although there may have been one or two that I left out.

Robert Jordan: bought the first book when I was desperate for something to read. Quite annoyed to reach the end and find "to be continued".
Decided to read the other two books (these things are always bloody trilogies). Even more annoyed to find "to be continued" at the end of the third book. Decided to check out the fourth book and found the local bookshop had books four to eight in stock. Bought them all to take on holiday. Sitting at a Greek taverna I reached the end of book eight and guess what? "To be continued". By this time I was so annoyed I almost tugged my pigtail. Two books and a prequel later I still hate these books but I can't stop reading until I reach the end. The characters are even more one dimensional than Robert Bloody Covenant (that was the last time I hated a series of books as much as this).
And my little brother has just introduced me to a new series of books by some geezer called George Martin (I think he has a middle initial so we don't get him confused with the guy who produced records by the Goons). Four books so far and I've heard that there are at least another two in the pipeline! I can see this one reaching double figures! Jordan led the way and others are sure to follow.

As far as JRRT goes I think I'm the only person alive who's ever read the Silmarillion all the way through. And more than once!! I still enjoy the old buffers work and I can't stand the films.

Addie Cay said:

Cujo
Carrie
The Stand
Dreamcatcher
Geralds Game

I think that's about it, although there may have been one or two that I left out.

how can you say you hate reading Stephen King when you have read so many of his books? Or do you mean you hate him now, but used to like him when you were younger? If so, it is interesting that your tastes can change so much. I think I have 'outgrown' some authors but that has never progressed on to hating them.

I can say that I hate reading King's books basically because I do. Most of the books listed were read when I was younger and it was a cool thing to do...read King. I never finished Cujo or Carrie. I read them to see if they were like the movies. I finished The Dead Zone because I actually liked it. I read the stand because so many people kept saying it was soooo good, that and I wanted to know who Capt. Trips was. /shrug Hearts of Atlantis was a gift given to me by my brother and I read part of it, couldn't finish it. I read Dreamcatcher because I watched the movie with my husband and he told me the book was better than the movie and finally, I read Gerald's Game because I found a cheap brand new copy of it and I thought "What the heck, I'll give it one more try."
To answer your question, yes, I dislike King's work...I just don't like it..never had and yes, I've read several books by him and even finished 2 or 3. No, he wasn't an author I liked in the past...just an author I tried to get into and couldn't.

Addie Cay said:

Cujo
Carrie
The Stand
Dreamcatcher
Geralds Game

Well, I'm probably biased, because I do like Stephen King, but I find it interesting that most of your list comprises probably the least generally well-liked King books! Carrie, the Dead Zone and The Stand are usually hailed as good books, but the rest are not up to his usual standard (IMO). He has written many other better ones, such as The Shining, It and the Dark Tower series, if you like fantasy. So why not try some of those? If not, fair enough if you really can't stand him! :)

And as for Terry Pratchett, most of what Shade says could well be true, but I still like the books and find them funny, so :p !

Halo, Arrrrrrgh!!! I'm a sucker for giving second chances...and third....and fourth which is probably why I've read as many King novels as I've done even tho I'm not a fan. My husband is still trying to get me to read one of the Darktower books. I'll probably end up caving in and trying once again. I'm currently reading Steven Erikson's 2nd Malazan book. I have to say, I actually like it a bit more than the 1st one. (I know, it has nothing to do w/this topic but once I start rambling, it's hard for me to stop)

Addie Cay said:
My husband is still trying to get me to read one of the Darktower books. I'll probably end up caving in and trying once again.

Aw, go on, you know you want to! Well, you probably don't, but anyway... I should warn you that although you should start with The Gunslinger (Dark Tower 1) it's kind of strange and not totally indicative of the rest of the series, so here's the bad news: you really need to read the first two or three to get properly into it!! There, I knew that would cheer you up! :D

i usually dont bring out the word hate until the fourth or fifth book....because i sincerely cannot stand reading 14 books just to find out that the books are just going to keep getting worse....except for Dan Brown....then that dreaded hate came out... because The Da Vinci Code was supposed to be so good, and i was looking forward to reading it so much, and then while i read it i was looking forward to the ending, because i was sure the book would pick up and the ending would be spectacular... and it wasn't.... oh the disappointment.

The writers that give fantasy its bad reputation:

Robert Jordan. Never-ending ultrathin story with the most annoying characters invented in litterature. The follwing Jordan quote says it all: "As long as they keep buying them i'll keep writing them". One of the few fantasy series where i hope the Heroes die horribly and the dark forces win. No mr Jordan i dont think its interesting to see Nynaeve pull her braid 10 times pr page.

David Eddings. I have only read a few books, but as i read them i wondered if Eddings was a 10 year old.

Terry Goodkind. Take one bit Robert Jordan and add some brutality and the result is Terry Goodkind. I give him the award for the longest most annoying speech in Fantasy for his 50 page speach to the pasifists in his last book Naked Empire.

Tom Holt. Very funny books (if you are around 5 years old).

Terry Brooks. Copied LoTR scene for scene and got away with it. Did we really need a badly written copy of LoTR?

lol That's it VENT! ... now breath...

Very funny and agree with it all. Especially like the David Eddings comment :D

Back