• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

books on the holocaust

whiterain22

hey everybody i hope this is the right place to post this. im looking for a good novel about the holocaust focusing on concentration camps. i read night a few years ago and really liked it. i tried the search but i couldnt find anything and im really busy to look really hard. thanks.

Here are some of my recommendations of books with the topic holocaust and concentration camps:

- I Have Lived a Thousand Years by Livia Bitton-Jackson

The author is one of the few adolescent who survived the holocaust. In this
book she describes her experience in detail.

- Five Years in Auschwitz by Anus Mundi

The book is about a young man who spent five years in concentrationcamp
Auschwitz.

- Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart-Moxon

It’s a very impressive book about the life of Kitty Hart-Moxon during and after
the holocaust.

You can try Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally. I haven't got around to reading it (though it's been on my shelf for a while), but I think it'll be a good read.

You can try Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally. I haven't got around to reading it (though it's been on my shelf for a while), but I think it'll be a good read.

I second Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally.Great read.

I just saw the movie: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It is based on a novel by John Boyne. It is indirectly about the camps.

I have several Elie Wisesel books on my to-read shelf but I started one and it was so heartbreaking I had to put it down...and I love reading about the Holocaust, so I think that really says something. I definitely plan on reading his work, but I'm having to get myself ready to try again.

Gad Beck…An Underground Life
Markus Zusak…The Book Thief
Krystyna Wituska…I Am First A Human Being
Solomon Perel…Europa Europa
Alicia Appleman-Jurman…Alicia: My Story
Thomas Keneally…Schindler’s List
Carol Matas…Daniel’s Story
David Faber…Because of Romek
Lois Lowry…Number the Stars
Abram Korn…Abe’s Story
Paul Watson…Night Over Day Over Night
The Diary of Anne Frank
Corrie ten Boom...The Hiding Place

A few of these are fiction but most aren't. Most involve concentration camps but not all of them. I don't think Alicia: My Story does but it is the best Holocaust survival story I have read to date.

There's a book called Angel of Death which is about Josef Mengele, but I can't remember who wrote it. He was of course the insane "doctor" in Auschwitz.

This is a bit off your request but I wanted to also mention a book called The Lost by Daniel Mendelsohn. It centers on a part of the Mendelsohn family that lived in the Ukrain when the Nazi's invaded. There is no part of the story that takes place in a concentration camp but I thought this book was very worthwhile.

For me it told the heartbreaking story of what happened to a community after it "open season" was declared on Jews. There was a moment in the book that I had could get a taste of what it must have felt like to live in a village your whole life and then overnight (practically) you are reviled by people who you once called neighbor and friend. People you once did business with willing to kill you or turn you over to the Nazi's.

I followed this book up with Elie Wiesel's Night.

Not easy reading but important and meaningful.

Back