• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you didn't finish

Haunted : Chuck Palahniuk

I like to think I've got a pretty open mind and am not too easily shocked. This book was just plain gross. Gave up after about 3 chapters, not a pleasant read, just shock-fest. more Chuck yee-uk than Chuck Palahniuk.

Hmm - I was going to start this book today...

Or more accurately I forgot that I also hadn't finished the first book in The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Just couldn't get into it. Even after trying a couple times.

I'm quite a Kay fan, but when I went back to read these, I didn't have a lot of success. I got introduced to him by his later stuff, and wanted to read more of that, rather than high fantasy.

I'm almost tempted to stop reading Warrior Queen, but I am tired of having all these unfinished books on my shelves. I am very nearly done. I think I have around fifty pages left to read. It started out as a good read yet somehow it just started going downhill once Boudica gets older. Sometimes I wondered if it was a novel about her or about Nero.

Forgot about a non-fiction book. No Logo by Naomi Klein. I like her message but she's a very dry writer. It was like reading an incredibly long newspaper article. In a bad way.

The Plague Dogs - Richard Adams

It was just taking me too long to read so I moved on. I plan to go back and read it sometime, but my bookmark fell out of it so now Im lost to where I was.

The Vampire Lestat - my two cents...

I have read all of Ann Rice's Vamp books... I have to say that you have to be diligant to read one of her books. She takes a very long time to move her plot along. I perservered and liked her books a lot.

My book - The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand - I found it hard to relate to. It seemed like a soap opera full of rich people that had very empty lives.

I'm a newbie...

Felicia

Hi Felicia,

Welcome. It's a really great group of people here. A lot of good insights and book recommendations.

I'm curious about your affinity for Anne Rice. What do you find to be worth the perserverance in her books? I enjoyed Interview, but found Armand very difficult to get into.

Anne Rice...

Hi,
I read "Interview of the Vampire" when I was 12 y.o., or maybe a little bit older. I found it to be the hardest to get through, probably due to my age at the time.

I continue with Anne Rice books because her use of imagery and the plots are usually worth the wait.

But, I can remember it taking a long time to get to the point with many of her books. Like you, "Armand" was one of those books. I thought it was worth the wait by the end of the book. It cleared up some unanswered questions that I had from previous books.

Thanks for the welcome...
Felicia

By the way...

I love your screen name! I'm glad you gave it a chance. However, I'd rather water torture than to finish "The Fountainhead." :eek:

By the way... I began reading "A Time to Kill" about ten years before I finished it. I had a hard time getting through the violence at the beginning. Although I'm disabled now, I am a Clinical Social Worker. I work as a therapist with children that are often abused. At the time, "A Time to Kill" was too much like being at work. I did finish it and it was an excellent book!

I read "Interview" on audiobook, so I didn't have much trouble getting through it. I tried "Armand" on audio, as well, but still had a lot of trouble (and I can usually get through anything on audio)

Audio books?

I haven't tried audio books. I used to commute to work and that would have been the perfect time to do it. You are the first person that I've spoken with about audio books. I like to imagine the characters as I read and I thought it would be more difficult to do if there was a certain voice reading the story.

Armand was more difficult than her previous books. But, I'm still sad to see her leaving this genre behind.

Well, audiobooks do take away your ability to imagine a particular character's voice or how they deliver any particular line. The audiobook reader has to make a choice in the portrayal of the character.

However, you get to imagine everything else just fine. I find I prefer audiobooks and that they give me a much more vivid picture of what's going on because I'm never tempted to skim and my mind is much less prone to wander. That, and I can "read" while I do other things like cleaning my house or waiting for the bus or running errands. It helps me fit more reading in my busy schedule.

I used to have a long drive to work, anywhere from 90 minutes to three hours. Unfortunately, I never thought to try audio books then. You make it sound engrossing. And, like you, I sometimes gloss over some things when I'm reading, especially when the writer doesn't get to the point quickly enough. I guess I'll have try it then.

I started to read Paradise Lost by John Milton to help me with my studies at university, but i got three quarters through and realise i didnt know what had happened in the last 15 pages so decided to finish it at a later date :)

Number of the Beast by Robert Heinlein. I wasn't enjoying it and kind of intentionally/accidentally packed it up when I was moving. I'll finish it when it resurfaces.
Also my sister's copy of ''Lemony Snicket's the Miserable Mill''...which was lying around. Then I got my new library card, and haven't gotten back around to the books I own.

I remember a book I've never finished and have always wanted to. It got lost. It was called Toylan. I'd just gotten to where a little girl died in a closet because she kept throwing up while her mother was busy killing her father, or some such. I don't remember much about it, but it seemed interesting at the time.

Back