• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you didn't finish

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. I just couldn't get into it.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I found it hard going, but am going to pick this one up again soon.

:confused: had previously read godfather, the sicilian and omerta all of which hugely entertaining. but after starting TLD all the dons and consigs started flowing into one another.

Put it down aiming to leave it for awhile and its still where i left it.

Well, for many and varied reasons I have just discontinued my uni course. Actually, one of the reasons was that I wasn't able to do as much leisure reading as I wanted (undergrad was certainly less time consuming!).

ANYway, I now have time to read all those books that I want to finish, including my white whale, which I found on this forum and eludes me still.

I don't plan on picking up The Mill on the Floss again anytime soon, though....

There are a few books that I have started and placed away. I don't really remember all the names though.

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. I started reading it back when I was in grade 8 (and that was many many years ago now). I don't really know why I stopped. I know that I will eventually start it again.

The Women in White by Wilkie Collins. Ugh. I started reading it last winter and t first it was enjoyable. But then reading it felt like I ran in to a wall. And I couldn't continue it. I tried every once and awhile picking it up but with no luck. One of these days I'll give it another shot though.

Eldest by Christopher Paolini. I started it in January and I believe it was also January that I took a break from reading it. I will go back to it before the year is out. Its interesting at times but other times it just seams to go on and on.

Oh, I used to be a BIG fan of Alistair Maclean. You know him...he wrote 'The Guns of Navarone' etc. I read everything he cranked out, but I noticed some of the later books just didn't have the 'IT' factor of his earlier ones, so I gave up reading them.

Later, I found out that Maclean (now deceased) was a heavy drinker and his later books suffered because of it. I am catching up on an early one I missed, 'South By Java Head,' which is a great one, but that will be it.

'The Secret'. I got to the second page and put it down. Never seen such a sorry excuse for a book sell so well. They even made a film about it!

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. Great premise but got tired of the characters and didn't even attempt trying to finish it. Diary was a better book, and I once thought that was Palahniuk's worst novel. Now it's his second worst.

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. Great premise but got tired of the characters and didn't even attempt trying to finish it. Diary was a better book, and I once thought that was Palahniuk's worst novel. Now it's his second worst.

A Palahniuk book?...really?.....I'll have to check it out just to see how dreary it is. Heck, if he's boring. . . . :D

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. I still have my bookmark in the place where I stopped reading, and who knows, one day I might pick it up and tackle it again.

I didn't finish 'Choke' by Palahniuk a few years ago. It wasn't awful, so I'm not sure why. Just got caught up elsewhere.

Most recently, I keep trying and trying and trying to finish Blood Meridian but just can't. I absolutely hate the way it's written. I picked it up because I loved The Road, also by Cormac McCarthy... but I think I'll probably get rid of it at this point. Total waste of money.

I just couldn't get into Dinosaur Planet by Anne McCaffrey. Read about 5 pages and then sold it at our annual garage sale. It was like the book started in the middle of the story. Maybe it was just me though, as I've seen good reviews for this book.

Another one I did finish, although I should have stopped halfway through was Silence In Heaven by Peter Lord-Wolff. Slow, boring and jumped all over the place.

Most memorably forgettable - Lord of The rings. Got to half way through Return of the King; could be bothered going on. Thank God for Peter Jackson. To be honest; life is just too short.:eek:

I'm really bad with starting books and not finishing them. To name a few: Lolita, The Art of War, War and Peace, Anna Karenina, Crime and Punishment...you know, the books everyone "says they're meaning to read".

Can't seem to finish Operation Shylock. I think it's cause I have to be in a certain frame of mind. I do hope to finish it, sometime.

Back