• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you didn't finish

There are a few books i have never finished the only thing is i can't remeber the titles, like one day i was looking for a book to read i picked up this booked payed for it and started reading, i requernised some plots and charecters in the book but i carryed on reading it and do you know what? Itturned out to be one of the best books i have read. Has anyone else done this?

Gross in what way?

At the beginning, he talks of his Mother's cancer in a lot of detail and it would not of been too bad but I often read while eating and this was not a good mix. Maybe I could picture it too vividly as I was just visiting with my own Grandmother and she has lung cancer.

There are a few books i have never finished the only thing is i can't remeber the titles, like one day i was looking for a book to read i picked up this booked payed for it and started reading, i requernised some plots and charecters in the book but i carryed on reading it and do you know what? Itturned out to be one of the best books i have read. Has anyone else done this?

I've done that quite a few times. Timing can be everything I guess:)

Common with many others I find it difficult to not finish a book even if it is dire. Definitiely should start up that support group there's too many of us. There are so many good books out there I know I should be more ruthless with the dross but ....

Anyway last book i didn't finish - something by James Lee Burke I picked up a couple of years ago. Just couldn't get on with it.

Hi all,
After finishing the brilliant 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks, I was really looking forward to 'Charlotte Gray' and then 'Human Traces'. I couldn't finish either of them, both abandoned in disappointed frustration after 80-100 pages. Maybe he's just a one-novel writer?

The Best Awful - Carrie Fisher. I didn't even finish the first chapter. Ugh. Awful.

I purchased that book not too long ago. Luckily it was in the bargain bin for $5.98. What was so bad about the portion you read?

Hi all,
I had to give up on Peter Carey's 'Oscar and Lucinda'. I couldn't bear the cloying religiousity or the prose stylings. I also struggled to feel anything for the characters. I found it very overwritten. Though I understand both it and its author have many admirers, I'm afraid I am not among them.

Hi all,
After finishing the brilliant 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks, I was really looking forward to 'Charlotte Gray' and then 'Human Traces'. I couldn't finish either of them, both abandoned in disappointed frustration after 80-100 pages. Maybe he's just a one-novel writer?

I can see why you didn't finish Human Traces after reading Birdsong, this one's harder going and grimmer - also a lot of digression into medecine / pyschology. I'm about 150 in - will keep going and see if I reach the summit.

To die for for by Linda Howard, and I don't regret not finishing it, it was truly bad.
This book called Tunnel of light, though I truly regret not finishing it :)
And some JA jance books, I don't remember which.:confused:

The only book I've started that I haven't finished is Moby Dick. That was around 15 years ago and I will give it another shot one day. I had almost stopped reading The Great Gatsby but I'm glad I finished just for the sake of finishing and for the ending. It was easily the best part of the book. I stopped reading Return of the King when I did my first read of LOTR. Too much to read in series really, although I did manage a reread of the books in series. I will never bother again. I almost stopped A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. The stream of consciousness style was difficult for me at first. I adapted and ended up enjoying the work very much.

Moby Dick remains my only white whale. It's probably not the best behaviour but if I don't feel like finishing a book I just read less. I won't pick it up to read and when I do I don't read long. I also don't pick anything else up because if I do it means I'll never finish the other book I started. I'm currently encountering this with The Odyssey. While it's a great story, I already know the story. There's no intrigue. It's also a book that's not doing a whole lot for me right now. Just not what I want to be reading. But knowing myself if I stop I won't ever finish it. I don't want another white whale.

Snow Falling on Cedars.

It was assigned in college and I never managed to get through it, I kept falling asleep.

I purchased that book not too long ago. Luckily it was in the bargain bin for $5.98. What was so bad about the portion you read?

My apologies for the delay in responding. To me, the book tried to hard to be clever, and failed. I didn't find it entertaining, just full of really obnoxious self indulgent rambling. A lot of people found it to be a great follow-up to Postcards from the Edge, it just wasn't for me.

I lied.

Or more accurately I forgot that I also hadn't finished the first book in The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Just couldn't get into it. Even after trying a couple times.

I never stop reading a book even if it sucks. I always read the online reviews prior to purchase so that the stopping deal is a rare thang.

I've stopped several times, but eventually always return to them. Books on hiatus right now include Ulysses, The French Lieutenant's Wife and The Stranger.

Haunted : Chuck Palahniuk

I like to think I've got a pretty open mind and am not too easily shocked. This book was just plain gross. Gave up after about 3 chapters, not a pleasant read, just shock-fest. more Chuck yee-uk than Chuck Palahniuk.

Finished The French Lieutenant's Woman yesterday and let me tell you, I'm fricking glad that one's over!

Oh, and I read another 30 pages of Ulysses. Just 500 more to go :eek: Poor Dignam, my butt! Poor me, you mean.

Finished The French Lieutenant's Woman yesterday and let me tell you, I'm fricking glad that one's over!

I've heard that before about this one and I'm thinking I'll move it way down to the bottom of my tbr shelf now.

Back