• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you have bought but haven't read yet

The Thirtheenth Tale By Diane Setterfield
Vanshing Acts By Jodi Picoult
The Kite Runner By Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner is an excellent book. I like how the story progresses with the actual history of Afghanistan. Like their history, things get worse as time progresses.:eek: It is very shocking in that the end features a brutal scene that leaves the reader reeling a bit from the earlier shock in the book. This was a wonderful read, my local library selected it as a book of the month read months ago.

The Kite Runner is an excellent book. I like how the story progresses with the actual history of Afghanistan. Like their history, things get worse as time progresses.:eek: It is very shocking in that the end features a brutal scene that leaves the reader reeling a bit from the earlier shock in the book. This was a wonderful read, my local library selected it as a book of the month read months ago.

Im Glad I Bought it :cool:

- Strange Affair by Peter Bronson.
- Velocity by Dean Koontz (I'm not rushing to read it either).

And The Kite Runner is an incredible novel. So brutal and realistic. Let us know how you felt about it after you've read it.

All the books that I've finished this month have been titles sitting on my shelves for some time now. Although I've only had The Scarlet Letter since January. I have reason to be happy though because I'm starting to overcome this habit of buying books and taking forever to read them. ;)

too many of them...:(

Israel’s Unilateralism: Beyond Gaza
Winning
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
etc.

Frankenstein - Mary Shelly
Diary of a drug fiend - Aleister Crowley
Siddartha - Herman Hesse
Book of Illusions - Paul Auster
Mason and Dixon - Thomas Pynchon
Stephane Mallarme - Selected Poetry
Ezra Pound - Cantos
Love in the time of cholera - Marquez
Mexico City Blues - Jack Kerouac
James Baldwin - Giovanni's room

and many , many more!!!

Usually I get books out of the library and have a HUGE pile in my room of books I want to read, but recently I bought quite a lot of books, a lot of them about European History(I have my AP exam coming up soon, and I started studying and realized how little I knew about things Dumas didn't write about). So, I recently bought:

Angelica by Arthur Phillips(I met him last night)
It seemed like a good idea..a compendium of great historical fiascos
The History of France -Andre Maurois(I love this author!)
A condensed history of britain
Napoleon(a biography)
Monsieur d'Eon is a Woman
The Princes in the Tower
Napoleon and his Collaborateurs

I'm actually also looking forward to reading the Kite Runner. Although I probably won't be buying it, but instead getting it out of the library.

I think a good number of you buy books just to feel smart or like an intellectual. I saw "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli atleast three times while going through your lists. Who the hell buys that for pleasure?

A few

I have a few books on my shelf, waiting to be read, but I have an excuse:) I have to read and reread for an exam these days, so I'm reading DH Lawrence even if other books are waiting for me.:rolleyes:

I Ordered Several Books but they didn't arrive yet !!
The Only One I Got is

A Great and terrible beauty by Libba bray

Only two: Michael Curtis Ford's Gods and Legions and Caleb Carr's The Angel of Darkness. TAoD I've had for... I want to say "a year" but I could be wrong. That book is definitely not a recent purchase, I'll say that much.

Re-reading this thread I should also mention The Exorcist. I'll get around to reading it... hopefully... maybe...

The Unconsoled - Kazui Ishiguro
Metamrphosis and other short stories - Franz Kafka
Soul Mountain - Gao Xingjian
The Divine Comedy:Inferno - Dante
Moby Dick - Herman Melville
Don Quixote - Cervantes
The Magic Mountain - Thomas Mann
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky

I just can't seem to get around to finishing these ones... I either always fall asleep in bed or get distracted by starting another novel (or two -_-'') before i get around to finishing it, and when i do try to start again I'm just re-reading what I've read (the first few chapters) again and again and the temptation to skip to where I left off is there but you can't because you've forgotten whats going on anyway... 1 novel at a time i tell myself but it never quite works out that way does it?

Purists will hate me for this comment, but when a few of the books on that list were written...there WERE no book editors. And some of those guys IMHO needed an editor.
Once in a while I get a bug up my behind and edit some 2 or 3 hundred year old classic, just to do it. Last one I did was 'Robinson Crusoe', and trust me...Defoe NEEDED an editor. (lol)

We Were the Mulvaneys - Joyce Carol Oates
The Hotel New Hampshire - John Irving
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
The Da Vinci Code - some guy

I hate to rag on an author I haven't read yet, Dan Brown, but I did read an excerpt from that one when the movie came out, on their own website and was utterly appalled. I think they must have been trying to get the women out to see the movie because it was some bunko about the main character's acceptance of his own good looks. We all knew it was Tom Hanks, though, so it couldn't have been that...

All these were purchased used from charity shops.

Oh, and The Road by Cormac McCarthy, I bought new, but am finishing something else and want to savor the McCarthy a bit.

Yet another book I forgot to mention: Night Life by Ray Garton. It's the sequel to his earlier novel Live Girls.

Purists will hate me for this comment, but when a few of the books on that list were written...there WERE no book editors. And some of those guys IMHO needed an editor.
Once in a while I get a bug up my behind and edit some 2 or 3 hundred year old classic, just to do it. Last one I did was 'Robinson Crusoe', and trust me...Defoe NEEDED an editor. (lol)

Indeed, editors should be unnecessary, and publishers mostly hope they will be. Talking about copyeditors here. Every writer should know how to write well enough to make copyediting superfluous, but of course in a country where the President can't pronounce 'nuclear' there will always be work for copyeditors.

On the other hand, the role that an 'editor' serves today is the role that a 'publisher' served in those olden days. Nowadays the 'publishers' never read MSs unless they are paper gold, but the editors decide whether to publish or not.

And then there are production editors, developmental editors, photo editors, etc, depending on the work. All of whom bring something to the product that is beyond the scope of the writer and outside the bailiwick of the editor.

Back