• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

books you never finished... and don't want to.

I mentioned some others in another thread (Infinite Jest, Simmarillion, etc.) but one I didn't mention was The Woman and the Ape by Peter Hoeg. I loved Smilla's Sense of Snow, got a free copy of the Ape one, was trying to give it a go but having a hard time of it, and then Wolf picked it up, turned to about halfway thru the book, and said, "Oooh, she's having sex with the ape now!" and I was officially done. I'm not even 100% sure he was telling the truth, but the book was going so weird it was a distinct possibility.

So glad to hear people say they couldn't get into Wuthering Heights. Everyone rants about that book. I read about 80 pages of it and just couldn't stand it any longer. All the different histories of the family members etc was soooo boring to me.

Another one for me was believe it or not, Walden. I had read it, (sorta) in high school and thought I would give it another shot. Not only did I not agree with his anti workingman sentiment, but I found it needlessly over thought.

I didn't care for Wuthering Heights either. It's my mom's favorite book and I couldn't stand it. The characters made me angry. But I did finish it. I have this thing about having to finish a book no matter how terrible it is. I have no idea why. I just can't quit the book. I've had to live through 2 real stinkers.

Surprisingly I don't have that many that I absolutely don't get at.

One is the Tommyknockers by Stephen King (bought it for my first transatlantic flight, back in 1989, being a huge King fan). Never got into it,tried three times since, never made it.

The other one is "Protector" by Thomas Gifford. Load of bollocks... Will sell on Ebay ;)

oh, silly wabbit ... there are no evil mice conspiring against you. and when you die there's no heaven's chimney or razzleberry waterfall. but there are giant golden gates on top of the clouds, and a wise man with a beard will have your name written into a fancy book.

Martin said:
Which were ....

One was "Lady of Hay" by Barbara Erskine and the other was some crappy murder mystery about some cult. That's what I get for fishing the $2.99 pile :(

The only one I can think of at the moment is Crime and Punishment. Have now tried and failed twice to read this, I even got over half way last time but it became harder and harder to pick it up and read it. I don't even know where it is now.

I couldn't finish September either. Or Susan Sallis "Lydia Fielding.

having just read Susan Howath's High Flyer couldn't wait to read the next one "Heartbreaker" Uggg it was dire. Good job it was a library book so I could just take it back and hadnt paid a fortunre fot it. :)

--The Lord Of The Rings , I have the trilogy book,but for some reason,maybe I'm too dumbed or what, in the middle of the story,I got lost, same thing happen when I watched the movie.

yep keep at it, great book, the multiple story threads in two towers can make it a little confusing at first, if you've got lost and want to talk about it, start a thread i'm sure the countless tolkein addicts(me included) will be more than pleased to help you get through it.

ksky

lol

maybe wabbit you should stick to chick lit and shopping at laura ashley (pauses to fantasise about girls in floral print), now where's my wabbit gun.

ksky

lol

ISABEL ALLENDE IS NOT CHICK LIT... Lovely bones is chick lit, very good it was too! :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

kskyhappy said:
if you've got lost and want to talk about it, start a thread i'm sure the countless tolkein addicts(me included) will be more than pleased to help you get through it.
Alternatively, if you see sense and just want to slag it off as the piece of tripe that it is, come talk to me and Wabbit. :D

you gals are in feisty mood today

? no elf poems or hobbit songs in lord of the rings? :confused: what are you smoking in your cubicle today? pass it on! ;)

personally i prefer tripe steamed with ginger and spring onion. :p

kskyhappy

Back