• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bookstore name

Biblio Files
The Book Faire
The Booktique

Are you selling new or used books?
Depending on your location, you might be able to incorporate that into your business name. Example: Downtown Books; Main Street Books; etc.
Include your personal names in the business name.

Occlith said:
Are you selling new or used books?
Depending on your location, you might be able to incorporate that into your business name. Example: Downtown Books; Main Street Books; etc.
Include your personal names in the business name.

We'll be selling new books (so I'm considering Pink & Mrkgnao's New Books! :D ). And we don't know the location yet, but have been having thoughts along that line too: The Bookstore Down The Stairs &c...

Now I want to open a dozen bookstores, I don't want to choose between all the great names! Maybe we could have different names for the different departments in the store, but it won't be that large...

:) *mrkgnao*

Anglophiles Anonymous
The Cracked Spine (though I suspect you'd get some odd clientelle!)
The Bookstore of Babel

And, you may want to hold your nose for this last one:
Storystore!
Gack! Sorry!

StillILearn said:
The Seven Wonders of the Word.

(Have you alll read The Sorcer's Apprentice?)

If you were to choose this name, you could feature in your window a display of seven books, to be changed each week.

Øystein said:
The Cracked Spine (though I suspect you'd get some odd clientelle!)

Bookstore or chiropractic office?:) I like the title though, perhaps a Gen "X" or "alternative" bookstore?

Once again, you guys are amazing! And funny :D The only problem with this thread is that it makes me embarrased to realize how completely uncreative me and mrkgnao were! I don't think the name will be the problem in the future though. But there is so much to think about! Me and mrkgnao sat down the other day to go through details of the businessplan, and there is just no end to the details you have to go through just to get the plan ready, let alone actually start the store!! Apparently it's not enough to just go to the bank and say "We love books, now show us the money!" ;)

And unfortunately, Gothenburg is too tiny a town to open an alternative bookstore in...

And it ought to be enough to be great booksellers: they should through money over us, and real estate, and books! :D ;) Someone here was an accountant... how 'bout it? We can't promise success but it is in the plan, and we could promise great weather but it would be a lie... :eek: Why don't books rule the world? :confused:

Has anyone here ever started a business?

In any case, everyone here is invited to the Grand Opening!! Whenever it will be... :rolleyes:

*mrkgnao*

Actually, you do have to open at least one bookstore now that you have all these excellent names.

(But before /I/ borrowed and plonked down the actual tens of thousands of dollars (or pounds, as the case may be), that it is going to end up costing to open one, I'd go work in one for a while first and learn all the ropes from (forgive me) A - Z.)

Hello,

StillIlearns advice is the the best - get experience first, but hang on didn't I read somewhere that both Pink Shadow & Mrkgnao already do work in a bookstore?

In any case, I'm self employed and I have helped start many businesses (I'm a small business consultant, here in London). If I can be of any help let me know.

All the best.

Oops, Gem. Now I have to go back and read all these posts more attentively. Mostly I just read the book store names. :eek:

Gem said:
but hang on didn't I read somewhere that both Pink Shadow & Mrkgnao already do work in a bookstore?

Yep, we do! And the more experience we get, the more we want to call the shots ourselves. We're sure we could create The Ultimate Bookstore! Um, or something :rolleyes:

*mkrgnao*

I've run this scenario of starting my own business with a friend of mine for the last 10 years. We've talked about everything from used books to crayfish farming. Really.

The questions we keep asking is what would be our competitive advantage?

In your case, what would/could you do differently than the store you already work in? How would you be different? How would you compete?

Cheaper prices? Different hours? Different selection of books? Location location location? Would you combine book selling with some kind of other service? Cyber-cafe? Coffee shop/book store? Would you do interenet sales too? Where will you get your inventory from? How much inventory will you have?

What would set your store apart from the other stores that are already established? If the only answer is that the owners would be you, and not somebody else, you need to keep thinking.

I'd really love to know more about your thought process with this.

Seriously, there was one used bookstore in New Haven in the 1980's that would allow you to bring in, say, one hundred old paperbacks, and take 25 new paperbacks. One day, I saw a woman bring in 100 romance novels. I asked her if she had read them all. She explained it is her 80 year old mother who reads romance novels compulsively.

Back