• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Boston Marathon attack

Of the dozens upon dozens of people I have asked, few have said "for self-defense". The answers are normally either hunters, enjoy shooting, enjoy modding, enjoy owning, are anxiously awaiting the time to overthrow the government, or some combination of those. "Self-defense" comes out low on the list.

Maybe I am asking the wrong people?

Yeah, I've never met anybody with designs to overthrow the government. I do know a lot of gun owners, and they all own guns for one of two reasons. The first is because firing a weapon is fun. The second is self defense. I know a lot of people that have a permit for concealed weapon for this self-defense.

I know a startling number of people who can't wait until it's "go time" and they can run out and overthrow the government.

I know a startling number of people who can't wait until it's "go time" and they can run out and overthrow the government.

People that I know want to over throw the government are willing to do it at the polls.

I do know a few folks that keep firearms for hunting season.

Put me in the home-defense category these days. I've had my share of target shooting and hunting long ago.

Put me in the home-defense category these days. I've had my share of target shooting and hunting long ago.

You live in New Orleans. I'd be fearful too. Make sure you can hit your target on that first shot.

People that I know want to over throw the government are willing to do it at the polls.

I do know a few folks that keep firearms for hunting season.

Aye. I know them folk too.

I have a suspicion that the people who tell me the reason they own a small arsenal of semi-automatic weapons is to overthrow the government when it's time actually own them because shooting and modding AR-15s and 1911s is fun (and it is) but can't be honest with themselves.

I disagree. Am I not responsible for the safety of my family? I don't know how much time it takes for the police to respond to 911 where you live, but here it can easily take more time then a criminal needs to victimize a family and get out. Catching them later because one of the neighbors got a plate number isn't enough; family cannot be replaced.

Gun control measures is nothing more then treating the symptoms. If you want to reduce violent crime, then treating violence like a disease makes more sense. I'll be most gun owners would be happy if the only time they took their gun out is when they took it to the gun range for practice.

I'd really like to see the statistics on how often crime is prevented by a home owner with a gun because that would be a very relevant statistic to prove (or not) whether a gun is in fact a useful and effective means of self defense rather than an imagined one.

And to see if the numbers on self defense justify the numbers on gun related deaths.

http://www.clearsilat.com/self-defense/the-problem-with-guns-196.html

why self defense with guns is not the best option. FYI this is a self defense expert saying what I've said all along - most of the time it just isn't possible to use a gun.

Unintended Consequences: Pro-Handgun Experts Prove That Handguns Are a Dangerous Choice for Self-Defense

http://www.vpc.org/studies/unincont.htm

pretty much the same thing just a lot longer - people don't know how to defend themselves with a gun, don't use it properly and guns pose more danger than they are helpful.

Just to be clear on things - I grew up with guns. I have fired a rifle, a shotgun and a handgun regularly throughout my childhood and shooting at a target or tin cans perched on top of mielie (corn) plants was a LOT of fun. And I'd do it again. I'm just not obliviously irrational on the dangers of guns or their effectiveness in a self defense situation. I've been robbed at knife point, and had my home broken into (chased him out by yelling at him). I've seen first hand how staying calm, being vigilant, and careful is effective. More so than having a gun would have been.

in 1998, for every time that a civilian used a handgun to kill in self-defense, 51 people lost their lives in handgun homicides alone. Yet, there have been an increasing number of news reports that women are a prime target for the gun industry as first-time handgun buyers. Left out of those reports is the fact that in 1999 for every one time a woman used a handgun to kill in self-defense, 120 women were murdered with handguns.

Statistics like this worry me. If this was a vaccine and 51 people died to save one would you consider this a good option?

Aye. Gun owner here too. Rifles and pistols. just not with me currently. Because laws.

What I'm finding very sad is the degree to which the explosion in Texas has just been largely ignored. The damage to homes and the community is far in excess of the needs of the victims of the Boston bombing (which at last count had been more than met by the fundraising) but hardly anything has been donated to Texas victims who are just as innocent.

yes but to the victims whose homes have been flattened - why should they be ignored just because some other tragedy is more 'tragic' to the media?

yes but to the victims whose homes have been flattened - why should they be ignored just because some other tragedy is more 'tragic' to the media?

Do you have information to say that there was no call for funding and help for the people who lost their homes in the Texas tragedy?

Nearly double the number of people were killed in Texas than in Boston, and there was much greater damage to property. These people have suffered a greater loss by far and yet because it is not a 'bomb' its fallen by the wayside in both news and fundraising.

To my mind that is a sad indictment on the state of the world.

If you are in a tragedy just make sure it's newsworthy otherwise you are nothing but a footnote.

The Boston Marathon bombings have inspired more than $29 million in donations, while fundraising for the much deadlier West, Texas, fertilizer plant explosion has not yet cracked $500,000.

Sharon Jackson, the owner of Divine Designs flower shop in West, Texas, got a note recently from a store in Boston that read, "From one flower shop to another." After her small town was rocked by an explosion at the West Fertilizer Co. plant that killed 15 people and injured more than 160, the note brought a welcome smile.

Related: How much was given to past tragedies?

The florist who sent the letter resides in a city where more than $29 million has been raised for the victims of the terrorist bombings of the Boston Marathon. Jackson and the town of West, which have been relying mainly on the support of the tight-knit local community, along with state and federal disaster relief, has seen about $500,000 raised for the victims of the explosion.

With West's population just short of 3,000, Boston's much larger population — over 625,000 citizens — is one reason to attribute the difference in donations. However, many donations are coming from crowdfunding initiatives by individuals located in neither city.

GiveForward is one such organization where a fundraiser can be started and donations can be made online directly through the site. In an interview with CNN Money, Ethan Austin, co-founder and president of GiveForward, expressed his thoughts on the difference between fundraising in Boston and West.

"The explosion in Texas was an accident. The reaction was sadness. The bombings in Boston were a heinous and malicious act that brought back memories of 9/11. The reaction was anger," he said. "Stories inspiring high energy emotions like anger have a much higher likelihood of going viral. Stories inspiring low-energy emotions like sadness do not tend to go viral," Austin told CNN Money.

Regardless, shop owner Jackson said, "We're just happy to get the support we have got," displaying a good-natured optimism that several West residents expressed in interviews with MSN News.

'WE'VE BEEN OVERSHADOWED'

Others, however, weren't as positive.

"We've been overshadowed," said Ashley Allison, executive director of the Waco Foundation, which has been raising money for the West community. "I would never want to take any attention away from Boston, but people should know there is a real need to rebuild a community here. There are lives that need to be rebuilt in Boston, but there is a whole community that needs to be rebuilt in West."

James E. Hawdon, a sociology professor at Virginia Tech University, believes the enormous disparity in charitable giving between Boston and West comes down to one factor: The "victimization" effect.

"Because Boston was an act of violence, it was defined — really, by all Americans — as an attack on Boston, an attack on the whole United States," Hawdon told MSN News. "In Texas, it was viewed as an accident. So we feel empathy for that, but not necessarily solidarity."

Hawdon, who studies the effects of tragedies on communities, such as the 2007 mass shooting at his workplace of Virginia Tech, said deadly events in which the carnage caused is intentional — such as in Boston — can cause the tragedy to "go viral."

In the case of the Texas plant explosion, while the company involved reportedly didn't tell federal regulators about its store of highly volatile chemicals that exploded, the victims did not die at the hands of a plot targeting innocent people. The five-day manhunt for the Boston bombers didn't help direct attention toward Texas, either, Hawdon said.

As it stands, the nation-wide One Fund Boston charity, started by Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino, has raised more than $27.3 million. That amount is in addition to crowdfunding efforts that have brought in an additional $2 million in general funds and for individual victims. According to recent estimates, hospital bills for the Boston bombing victims will total about $9 million.

In West, meanwhile, the Waco Foundation said it has raised about $250,000 in charity. The Waco Salvation Army's total stands at about $200,000 as of its most recent count. Various other charities at the local and national levels have brought in a few thousand dollars here and there, but with a 50-unit apartment complex demolished, a nursing home damaged and 75 other houses either destroyed or damaged, the cost to rebuild in West will be enormous. Mark Hannah, spokesman for the Insurance Council of Texas, told MSN News that the damage caused by the plant explosion probably will exceed $100 million.

How to help:

West, Texas explosion victims: www.wacofoundation.org

Boston Marathon bombing victims: www.onefundboston.org

http://news.msn.com/us/after-tragedies-charity-rolls-into-boston-texas-not-so-much

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
As millions of dollars flood into relief efforts for the Boston bombing victims, donations to devastated West, Texas, are lagging far behind.

More than $26 million has been raised in the wake of the April 15 Boston blasts. And it appears that donations for West total well under $1 million.

The Salvation Army, for example, has raised about $200,000 following the April 17 fertilizer plant explosion that killed 14 people, injured up to 200 and destroyed more than 100 homes. It has already spent about the same amount.

The needs in 2,800-person West are vast: food, shelter and transportation for displaced families, medical help for blast survivors, and eventually assistance rebuilding an entire community -- from houses and businesses to a school and nursing home. Property losses alone are expected to exceed $100 million, according to the Insurance Council of Texas.

CNN's Impact Your World: How you can help

Dan Ford, a resident of nearby Waco and the head of the McLennan County Salvation Army, understands the outpouring of support for Boston. But he said West is suffering.

"We've been greatly overshadowed by the Boston tragedy," said Ford. "We need help."

Another local group, the West, Texas Disaster Relief Efforts Fund has raised about $140,000.

Ashley Allison, executive director of the Waco Foundation, which helped establish the fund, said some of the largest donors indicated they gave because the media isn't paying enough attention to West.

"Families are hurting no matter how much media coverage is given," said Allison.

Meanwhile, Baylor University's West Relief Fund has collected a little more than $110,000, and another $50,000 has been raised between the United Way of Tarrant County, the Society of St. Vincent dePaul's and the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.

The American Red Cross, as it does in most cases, is accepting general donations, some of which will be directed to West. It hasn't yet released an estimate of how much it has spent.

Related: Before and after: West, Texas plant explosion

GiveForward, a crowdfunding platform where anyone can set up a campaign and solicit donations for a cause, has been used for both of last week's tragedies.

But the site has had more than 24 crowdfunding initiatives pop up for Boston, raising $1 million so far -- compared to only six initiatives for West that have raised a mere $5,000.

The majority of the $5,000 raised on GiveForward for West victims has been dedicated to medical bills for a 2-year-old Texas survivor, Arianna Gassaway.

"Arianna has very extensive injuries including multiple broken bones, numerous lacerations and a severe head injury," the fundraiser says.

The $4,314 raised for Arianna so far is only 9% of her family's $50,000 goal.

Ethan Austin, co-founder and president of GiveForward, said the discrepancy between fundraising efforts for Boston and West likely has a lot to do with the differing emotions behind the giving.

"The explosion in Texas was an accident. The reaction was sadness. The bombings in Boston were a heinous and malicious act that brought back memories of 9/11. The reaction was anger," he said. "Stories inspiring high energy emotions like anger have a much higher likelihood of going viral. Stories inspiring low-energy emotions like sadness do not tend to go viral."

And as the media continues to focus intensely on the Boston bombing victims and suspects, people aren't hearing nearly as much about the devastation in West, said Stacy Palmer, editor of the Chronicle of Philanthropy.

"When you see a disaster get a lot of attention, you see a lot of giving ... and you really don't see as many stories that show the picture of what's happening [in Texas]," said Palmer.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/26/pf/texas-boston-donations/index.html

I guess there hasn't been a lot of exposure except during the first week after the Texas fire in the Canadian newspapers - certainly haven't read of a plea for funds, however, will have another look and get a donation on its way.

I think the public can only absorb so much at the time. Those tragedies happened very close in time, and one was simply overrun by the other. It is not right, or fair. But the media in every country is always onto the biggest, the worst, not to mention the latest horrible event. They are similar to baying hounds after the fox.

One thing I've learned in this life. It isn't fair. Don't expect it to be fair. You'll be disappointed almost every time.

Back