• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Boston Marathon attack

canuck

This is a really horrific event and the possibility of catching the perpetrators seems almost impossible with so many of the spectators wandering around with backpacks. It seems incredible that after 9/11 people are still taken by surprise that a terrorist event can and does happen. I wonder what the response will be in London with its upcoming marathon. Why target athletes or is it just the high body count these monsters are looking for? It's a mad, mad world! :mad:

There were security cameras all over the place and they do have video of someone carrying 2 backpacks rights before the explosions. Police have also raided an apartment in Revere for evidence. A person of interest is being questioned after raising suspicion.

I don't think the person was specifically targeting athletes as much as targeting a large crowd. And we had a big crowd at the marathon this year because of the great weather. Also by picking the finish line I think they wanted the whole thing caught on camera.

Was asking a friend of mine who is running this coming weekend in the London marathon whether he thought it would be cancelled. He didn't think it would be but security would be tightened. I would think that a lot of the spectators may think twice about turning out to watch. I just hope they catch whoever has done this, jail them and throw away the key. :mad:

It all makes me sad and perhaps a little angry.

Violence has become all too common.

I feel sad and angry too, and more than a little heartsick. Life is short enough without this sort of nonsensical violence. Whether in a big city or small town, here in the US or abroad, people should be able to gather without fear.

They certainly should abec, but it doesn't seem to happen that way - there are always monsters around. :(

This is so sad, and so senseless. My heart goes out to all those affected by this cowardly act of violence.

What scares me more than anything is that the perpetrator(s) more than likely think they have done a good thing. I cannot understand how one can become so enamored with any cult/religion/group that would condone this kind of violence. I cannot think that any God (or whatever name you have for a supreme being) would in any way approve of the taking of innocent lives this way.

Perhaps he can spend the rest of days sharing a cold cell with the guy mailing envelopes containing ricin to capitol hill.

While I hope such events are aberrations, another part of me wonders if this isn't some "new normal" for us from here on out. Granted, it's not as bad as London facing IRA attacks in the '80s, but it still makes me fearful of what the future holds.

"new normal" for us from here on out.
Agree that is a fearful thought: a new normal for the scale of violence that will no longer be big news, a new normal for the number of victims which will be not horrific, a new normal for toleration of people being killed. In short a new callousness about such events.
And the news from this event: that such attacks cannot be completely prevented despite all we have tried.
It is potentially the face of a horrid future for us (such as some countries are already experiencing).
Good post SFG!

It does sound grim that this may be a new normal. It also is frightening to think that it may well be a homegrown terrorist - not only having to fear foreign plots but fearful of people living here already. There's already the mass shootings and no particular plans being put in place to try to thwart these events - although security around the schools has probably been stepped up.

It must be awful for all those people suffering from terrible injuries and the ones who have lost limbs - what a future for them to bear. :(

I don't know the stats, but it seems to me that it isn't that violence is actually increasing. Well, of course it is, but only as the population increases. Percentage wise I doubt "we" are any more violent than in centuries past. Only the scope of our weaponry has increased. Bigger and better weapons. If the Ancient Romans had possessed nuclear capability, they certainly would have used it.

Yesterday afternoon photos of two bombing suspects were released. Last night a report of a suspicious person was made and an MIT police officers responded a gun fight ensued and the officer was killed. The two suspects, brothers, car jacked someone and led police on a chase. Another shoot out ensued, one suspect was shot and died at the hospital and the other is still on the run. Watertown, Boston-Allston/Brighton, Belmont, Waltham, Newton are under lockdown. The MBTA (our mass transit) is shut down as are colleges and schools. Police are conducting a street by street search.

Glad they've caught one of them, really tragic that an officer was killed in the process. Apparently they were from Chechnya - it's amazing how quickly they were found. I hope the other one gets apprehended before he can do any more damage. Just young men from the sound of it. It's hard to identify those who are planning terror when they just look and behave like the rest of the crowd before they cause mayhem. Frightening.

Second suspect was arrested last night. A Watertown resident found a blood trail leading to this boat in the backyard. Lifting up the tarp he saw a blood covered man and immediately called 911. The police moved in another gunfight ensued and the police captured Tsarnaev. He was taken ti the hospital where he was treated for gunshot wounds and blood loss.

Boston residents lined the streets applauding the police as the suspect was taken away.

Back